Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #46
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
No Slight Intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitas View Post
I would nīt go so far to call it a hype. . .
Itīs just the attention he deserves .... as an alternative.
Hype was not meant to demean the tire....of interest to me are the riders that state that it is 'superior off road to the TKC'.. I could care less about pavement manners since I avoid pavement like the plague.

Can those sharing that experience be more specific? How is it superior to the TKC off road? Specifically on a GS/GSA.

Having asked that, the lack of the correct size for the rear of my GSA is still a show-stopper for me...my '07 needs lower not taller gearing [for slow off road] and as much foot print as I can get..

Thanks for everyone's input...it is appreciated.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #47
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Can those sharing that experience be more specific? How is it superior to the TKC off road? Specifically on a GS/GSA.
IMO, off-road the TKC is only good in dry gravel or solid soil. The momnt you get something loose like sand it becomes so so. Take it in the mud and you have a slick to deal with.... The MITAS is more like a proper dirt tire waith lots of space between the knobs. This help a lot in wet/loose conditions. It doesn't pack up as easily. Second, the side knobs are way more aggressive and provide way better cornering and confidence. In the gravel or "easy" conditions it's on par with the TKC but a tourance would do in these conditions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Having asked that, the lack of the correct size for the rear of my GSA is still a show-stopper for me...my '07 needs lower not taller gearing [for slow off road] and as much foot print as I can get..
I have a 94 11GS so the gearing is not an issue but I'm not with you on the larger footprint; wide tires generally suck off-road except maby on Moab type rock. The smaller width help the tire to dig it's path and get traction. Have a close look at snow or ice tires and you'll see that they are less wide than the asphalt ones. This is when riding somewhat aggressivelly tho. If just moving slowly, I agree that a de-flated fat tire might do but it's not the way I ride so I can't comment on that.

What I can say is that I've had many sets of Contis and, after trying the Mitas, I am not looking back. It was too frustrating like having the feeling that I was on a road bike all the time. 10 minutes with the Mitas and I was on a dirt bike again.

Never notice the smaller width off-road. My 0.02
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #48
Mitas
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
... thx for your comment !

Mitas screwed with this post 07-24-2011 at 01:28 PM
Mitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #49
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
That rear tire makes me feel tingly in odd places
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #50
99p38a
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
What pressure are you guys running in the mitas e09 for onroad? Solo/no luggage. I usually would run about 25 PSI all the time, but with the knobbie, I want to try to get it to last a little bit longer so for the rare road haul, I will bump them up.
99p38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #51
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99p38a View Post
What pressure are you guys running in the mitas e09 for onroad? Solo/no luggage. I usually would run about 25 PSI all the time, but with the knobbie, I want to try to get it to last a little bit longer so for the rare road haul, I will bump them up.
I usually run 30psi and not bother too much about it. But I would run less on soft soil on occasion.
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #52
99p38a
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab418 View Post
I usually run 30psi and not bother too much about it. But I would run less on soft soil on occasion.

Ran 30 psi front and back for a nice day of easy riding down the dirt country roads, worked well except when I went into the sand and mud, but i didn't have time to up and down psi. I ran 40psi front and back on a freeway home and it felt good. Today I am hitting some great tight trails and i'm going to run at about 23 or so. I really am fond of these tires. What a great ride.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #53
Mitas
caretaker

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab418 View Post
correct ...

@99p38a
if you donīt feel you need more grip.... itīs ok,... but have a look at the wear in the centre. 40 Psi is recommended for the Dakar models. 33Psi for the non - Dakarīs
Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #54
99p38a
Gnarly Adventurer

Bump for a great tire.

Just wanted to update you, I love the tires. On road, off road and everything in between. I run off road at 40 psi (on the packed dirt) and it's great. Feels more shifty at that PSI in the sandy spots than when I run low psi. It gets me in and out of mud awesome. I don't see any crazy wear, but my front is going thru a little fast. I have been riding easy on them on the asphalt to try to make them last..
Old 11-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #55
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
A 140 does just fine
What front tire is that? (make and size?)
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #56
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
What front tire is that? (make and size?)
Its a Dunlop D952 rear MX tyre, 100/90/19 with the Mitas EO9 on the rear, ditch the luggage and go play with your mates on their trailies!
Attached Images

sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #57
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Great, thanks! I had some crazy ideas about running some MX rear tire on the front. You run a tube in that?
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #58
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Great, thanks! I had some crazy ideas about running some MX rear tire on the front. You run a tube in that?
Nuh!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #59
Manwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
This tire looks great and just what I've been thinking about. I wonder if one is available to fit the rear position of my V-Strom DL1000K9?

Honda - '05 GL1800/A3
V-Strom - '09 DL1000
IBA - 20008
Manwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #60
Manwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
According to Mitas the E09 that will fit my Vee isn't available in North America right now, but new distribution is in the works and some changes will be happening very soon. I'm planing to try this tire when that happens...

Honda - '05 GL1800/A3
V-Strom - '09 DL1000
IBA - 20008
Manwell is offline   Reply With Quote