ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #76
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
I hope I'm not revealing just how dense I am here, but I cannot figure out these clues. I'm pretty sure i've got the route number, and there's more than one not too far from Charlottesville, but doggonneit I just can't seem to nail down any of the rest of it. Gonna try riding out to one of them today, the closest one to Buck Mountain Ford and see if it looks different from the ground than it does from Google Maps.

And in the meantime, since I'm off work early today, I'm going after the Valley Tag, looks like it's in a pretty cool spot, and it's a lot closer than it's last spot, and it's not in the valley, I'm planning to keep it that way.
I also cannot figure this one out! I hope you do!!! I noticed the valley tag is on our side of the mountain this time. Go get 'em both! We might get yours tomorrow! Another great weekend to ride :)

Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #77
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
I cannot figure out these clues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
I also cannot figure this one out
+3. I have an idea where it is. Somewhere in Central Va!

There is another tag, besides the valley tag, not too far away.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #78
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
+3. I have an idea where it is. Somewhere in Central Va!

There is another tag, besides the valley tag, not too far away.
OK, so, I got the valley tag today, and kept it out of the valley, and I'm planning to grab the NW Virginia tag tomorrow morning. Still deciding on a spot to stick the duck, and I'm staying up way too late trying to figure out the Damn Charlottesville Tag spot. What am I missing!?!?!?!?!?!?

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #79
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Do you think we can get another clue on the Charlottesville tag? We went out last night looking for it with no success. Seems others are also quite baffled. It sure is a good one! Can we get more help?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #80
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What am I missing!?!?!?!?!?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Do you think we can get another clue on the Charlottesville tag?
Tag games ARE about the ride...to the tag, NOT researching for hours on end and running all over the country side looking to see if you can "find" it...

grizz47 needs to come back here and post a solvable clue(s).

Old 11-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #81
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Waiting for another clue
Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #82
grizz47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
more cluee

Dang it!
Its taken three attempts to post this message.

"Browns Gap and the turnpike were used briefly during the Civil War. On May 2, 1862, at the beginning of his Valley Campaign, Stonewall Jackson marched his entire army through Browns Gap. From June 9 to June 12, after the Battle of Port Republic at the end of the Valley Campaign, Jackson's army camped in and near Browns Gap.
On September 25, 1864, General Jubal Early and his army, after their defeat at Winchester, fortified themselves here and fought off Sheridan's attacks for two days while awaiting reinforcements.
The turnpike is now a park fire road. On the west it's Madison Run fire road; it descends five miles to the park boundary, where it becomes SR 663. The lower end of the Madison Run hollow is worth exploring (experienced hikers only). On the east, the Browns Gap fire road goes a little more than three miles to the park boundary, where it becomes SR 629."

This together with the earlier posts should answer any questions.
grizz47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #83
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz47 View Post
Dang it!
Its taken three attempts to post this message.

"Browns Gap and the turnpike were used briefly during the Civil War. On May 2, 1862, at the beginning of his Valley Campaign, Stonewall Jackson marched his entire army through Browns Gap. From June 9 to June 12, after the Battle of Port Republic at the end of the Valley Campaign, Jackson's army camped in and near Browns Gap.
On September 25, 1864, General Jubal Early and his army, after their defeat at Winchester, fortified themselves here and fought off Sheridan's attacks for two days while awaiting reinforcements.
The turnpike is now a park fire road. On the west it's Madison Run fire road; it descends five miles to the park boundary, where it becomes SR 663. The lower end of the Madison Run hollow is worth exploring (experienced hikers only). On the east, the Browns Gap fire road goes a little more than three miles to the park boundary, where it becomes SR 629."

Much better...in a round about way. I've got the spot.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #84
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Perfect!

Can't wait until one of us grab so I can tell you all our mistake ... We are down a bike so maybe we will head out two up on my little dr and try to race you to it in the morning ;-)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #85
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz47 View Post

Well, now that you put it that way it all makes sense! Seriously Wish I'd a figured that out yesterday when I rode out to Crozet from Greene!!!

Hmm, how early am I willing to get up tomorrow before work? Yeah, work on a Sunday, bleck!. It would make 3 different tags in 3 consecutive days though. That'd be sweet.

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #86
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Didn't get up in time. See do is still up for grabs.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #87
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The early bird gets the monkey

But how early is early? That is the question.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #88
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Apparently 12:00 noon is early enough. After two weeks high up on browns gap turnpike off rt 810 near Crozet see do is ready to get a move on!

Looking for new tag spot now.

Oh and this road was rough. I should not be up here with my broken skid plate, but there ya go.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #89
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New tag spot for SeeDo!

Here's the clues:

Though the road he's on is not in the valley, it could be considered Shenandoah's Pride.

Many cars have crashed here, but none by accident (that I know of). Some crashes even happened on TV.

This road is within the boundaries of NWVA tag, but just barely.

SeeDo is buried up to his eyes in mulch directly behind the fire hydrant behind my bike in this picture:
Attached Images

FATNBLD screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 03:31 PM
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #90
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
New tag spot for SeeDo!

Heres the clues:

Though the road he's on is not in the valley, it could be considered Shenandoahs Pride.

Many cars have crashed here, but none by accident ( that I know of). Some crashes even happened on TV.

This road is within the boundaries of the NWVA tag o Rama, but just barely.

SeeDo is buried up to his eyes in mulch directly behind the fire hydrant behind my bike in this picture:
Ah, you've been busy.