ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #56761
larry31
Back Roads Explorer
 
larry31's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 240
Dr vs KLR

TrophyHunter & JagLite
Thanks for the links. Lots to check out, and I will.

Mr. B
Appreciate your input on cost. Will check around on pricing, but not much showing near home at present.

Kommando
Thanks for a very detailed comparison. Answered some questions I had.

Jon_l
Thanks also.
I would, most likely, use 60/40 dual purpose threads.
I ride a NX250 with TWs and when they are new to half worn, work ok for me.
( The NX250 is very limited in tire choices, unless changing the wheel to different size, which I dont want to do.)

I just put on a Duro on rear. ( slightly larger than stock tire.)
Seems to be a little better than the TWs. ( Not sure but thread seems a little deeper then what I remember the new TW having.)

Id like to sell my 1989 NX250 before I get another bike. Shooting for keeping my 1990 NX250 and picking up a 650.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #56762
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer
 
basketcase's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Roll Tide Central...
Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
what silver touch up paint (small bottle style w/ brush) is the closest to the silver frame? i'm going to get some sent to a friend who will bring it to me in december. no biggy if it's not exact match as my bike is from from a trailer queen.

thnx!
From the nearby O'Reillys, I used this one:

Dupli-Color Perfect Match
BFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray (CX)

Underneath the color code noted above it says "replaces T299"

It dried in to a seamless match after I had a touch up weld done on the left side rack mount. It is, I think, from where the stock grab rails were removed. Anyway, it's where the Happy Trail racks bolt up now.

I have it in a spray can but most of this is also available in the small bottle type application you mentioned.

__________________
'00 R1100RT
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #56763
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetofly View Post
On my DR650 I keep thinking the throttle/grip feels a little too loose or sloppy. I've asked a couple mechanics about this and they say this is normal for DR's. I understand you want a degree of looseness in the fore/aft twist of the throttle in closed position, but my DR easily has 2x or 3x more play than other dual sports I've been on. Also, there is some lateral play side to side of the throttle on the handlebar. Pretty much my only comparison is my KLR250 and a KLX250S, both of which don't have that same looseness. Is there a measurement I can do to check if it is within normal specs? What is the best way to go about getting rid of the excessive play? I've seen ProCycle sells aluminum throttle tubes, would this help? Every time I get on the DR it is the first thing I notice and a little annoying.
There is a cable adjuster for the throttle cable, up by the front brake master cylinder (more adjustment is available at the carb, if needed). The return cable needs to be adjusted at the carb and the gas tank will need to be off. Just press on the cables, like the arrows, and tighten until there is just a tiny bit of slack. I tighten my throttle until I can't hear the 'closed click' in the carb (not the throttle tube), then loosen a half turn or so.

There must be a tiny bit of slack in both cables when you're done.
Pic stolen from Wibby, post #1287 in this thread:

__________________
2004 DR650: 59,658 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 03:50 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #56764
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Clackamas, OR - USA
Oddometer: 1,081
And be sure to double check the slack at full right and left turn of the bars

Jon...
__________________
2003 Nighthawk 750
Past Bikes.....Check with my Wife.....I've lost count :-)
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #56765
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
And be sure to double check the slack at full right and left turn of the bars

Jon...
__________________
2004 DR650: 59,658 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #56766
epix1718
Studly Adventurer
 
epix1718's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan/Indiana border
Oddometer: 699
Haven't been able to get much riding done in well over a month, but today test drove a somewhat local DR650 that was absolutely pristine. Came with a bunch of farkles, and a folder including all the receipts/maintenance logs. Was very impressed with it and got it for quite a deal so it followed me home.. Guess the purple color has grown on me quite some bit!! Receipts just in farkles alone are higher than the amount I paid for the entire bike with extras.

With my current '96 Supermoto DR650.


The new scoot, '97 with 9000 miles on it.
__________________
97 Suzuki DR650
2011 Ural Gear Up 2WD
98 Honda XR250R
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #56767
Stringer99
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 183
anyone ever had an oil witness glass leak? whats the fix for this? thanks.
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #56768
Sourjon
TAT'erd
 
Sourjon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 2,051
Here's the 09 I'm tinkering with. Lots of extras at a steal of a price. Safari tank (HUGE!!), FMF Q4 (way too friggin loud), center stand, bag supports (anybody recognize them? Brand?) Russell Day Long seat I don't really care for (Comfy but too wide), front spring upgrade and Intiminators, Rear shock spring upgrade, Vapor and nearly new Avon Gripsters.







John
__________________
Endeavor to suck less--Gaspipe
I would rather be riding an imperfect bike than waiting around for perfection. --JDowns
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #56769
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere
 
GsVs's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Hoosier (IN) USA
Oddometer: 1,396
Happy-Trail SU

Those are Happy-Trail SU side racks .... Suzuki OEM top rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Here's the 09 I'm tinkering with. Lots of extras at a steal of a price. Safari tank (HUGE!!), FMF Q4 (way too friggin loud), center stand, bag supports (anybody recognize them? Brand?) Russell Day Long seat I don't really care for (Comfy but too wide), front spring upgrade and Intiminators, Rear shock spring upgrade, Vapor and nearly new Avon Gripsters.




John
__________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
Honda
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #56770
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
thanks for the torque wrench ideas, much appreciated. turns out i will need them!

has any1 had their oil witness glass leak? i assume its a faulty o-ring? i also have the head gasket leaking ... could this help contribute to severe oil darkening? back from 200 mile trip, new oil and filter just before i left. cannot see metal button in witness window oil is so dark (even when you wipe away the leaking oil), i just don't think it's normal. had this bike 1000 miles, changed oil and filter 4 or 5 times.

and its sputtering only at idle again, which stinks. takes eternity to come off choke, difficult cold starts, and crappy mileage. i have cleaned everything that can be cleaned in carb thoroughly, 4 or 5 times. every filter on bike is new. have the garden variety airbox mod, jet kit, and exhaust upgrade. bike had same issues before any mod, though bike had aftermarket adjustable jet needle and allen float bowl screws when purchased. Should I try a size 45 pilot maybe? I am out of ideas.
I suspect your dark oil problems are related to your carb problems. If gas is getting into your oil it will discolor it, and of course account for you poor running and crappy mileage.
Does your oil have a gas smell to it at all? Does your tail pipe have a heavy black residue indicating a rich condition? is gas puddling in the airbox? All signs of carb issues.

Also bad rings could cause a lot of blow-by into the crankcase and discolor the oil.

Just a guess of course, but I would concentrate initially on the float, as already mentioned, and the associated O-rings that are known to be a problem area. Check with procycle, motolab, or Kientech for parts.
Checking valves (as mentioned) is always a good idea and a compression test may also be needed.

Also, hopefully your leaky head gasket is just a bad o-ring on the valve cover (fairly common).

Good luck!

Rumlover screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 05:50 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #56771
Stringer99
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I suspect your dark oil problems are related to your carb problems. If gas is getting into your oil it will discolor it, and of course account for you poor running and crappy mileage.
Does your oil have a gas smell to it at all? Does your tail pipe have a heavy black residue indicating a rich condition? is gas puddling in the airbox? All signs of carb issues.

Also bad rings could cause a lot of blow-by into the crankcase and discolor the oil.

Just a guess of course, but I would concentrate initially on the float, as already mentioned, and the associated O-rings that are known to be a problem area. Check with procycle, motolab, or Kientech for parts.
Checking valves (as mentioned) is always a good idea and a compression test may also be needed.

Also, hopefully your leaky head gasket is just a bad o-ring on the valve cover (fairly common).

Good luck!
oil does not have a gas smell from what i can tell. no black residue around tailpipe, no gas in airbox. adjusted float per bst bible, all o-rings look good. oil definately coming from cylinder head gasket. whats the cheapest way to measure compression? does the cylinder need to be deglazed for just a ring install? thanks.
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #56772
Sourjon
TAT'erd
 
Sourjon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
Those are Happy-Trail SU side racks .... Suzuki OEM top rack
Thanks

John
__________________
Endeavor to suck less--Gaspipe
I would rather be riding an imperfect bike than waiting around for perfection. --JDowns
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #56773
Rumlover
Ed
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
whats the cheapest way to measure compression? does the cylinder need to be deglazed for just a ring install? thanks.
Cheapest way is to borrow a compression tester from a friend. Otherwise have a shop do it or check around to purchase one. Probably start around $25 for a cheaper one.

It still seems odd to me that you can't see the level in the glass, and makes me think it is overfilled or being overfilled with gas contamination --dangerous. Have you checked the volume when you empty it.

Also check back a few days on this thread, there was a discussion on changing out rings, but I think a light honing of the cyclinder would be a good idea if replacing rings.
Good luck!
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #56774
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,824
Epix - I felt good about grabbing an extra wheelset...dammit man....nicely done!
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #56775
Stringer99
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Central FL
Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
Cheapest way is to borrow a compression tester from a friend. Otherwise have a shop do it or check around to purchase one. Probably start around $25 for a cheaper one.

It still seems odd to me that you can't see the level in the glass, and makes me think it is overfilled or being overfilled with gas contamination --dangerous. Have you checked the volume when you empty it.

Also check back a few days on this thread, there was a discussion on changing out rings, but I think a light honing of the cyclinder would be a good idea if replacing rings.
Good luck!
ok looks like i need a cheap compression tester. thanks.

i can see the level in the glass. what i meant was oil is so dark you cant see through it. also, glass window is leaking.
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014