Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #76
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Hi Jenn! I loved your recent RR also (hint to others: see Jenn's sig).

No, didn't suffer any ill effects from the smoke, other than the annoyance of the big dent it put in my carefully planned route. But I really pity all the people who live around there.

I didn't get into the City of N.O. It would have been fun but with nobody to share it with and feeling some time pressure, I decided to press on. Was great though to spend some time with my buddy on the other side of the Ponchartrain bridge.

I was very lucky with the weather, it was kind to me. That made it easy to munch miles. Houston was really hot but that was the worst of it. Many areas were quite windy but that was never a safety problem for me, the big annoyance was just terrible gas mileage when fighting it.

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Great trip report, Rod!

That smoke in AZ looked horrible! I know how bad it was riding through distant forest fire smoke in Idaho for several hours - did you lose your voice after breathing in all that smoke?

Love the pictures of that suspension bridge!

Awesome surprise parade - like my surprise rodeo!

Did you completely miss on New Orleans?

I love your little summary - 362 miles/day for 16 days is pretty intense!

I did 4000 miles in 25 days and I don't think I would have covered that much if I hadn't spent a couple nights here and there - just having to get on the bike and cover that much every day would have killed me. I encountered some really awful wind in some stretches - and nearly got hypothermia going into Yellowstone - it's amazing how much that drained me (I slept a lot in my two nights in Yellowstone!)

Was wind an issue? Heat? Cold?
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #77
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 418
Oh, man - even without a partner to tour the city - you missed out by not going! If you haven't been to New Orleans - or post-Katrina New Orleans - there is so much to see. Also - much better po-boys than what you probably got at that little place you photographed! :)

I wanted to do my trip via the south through NOLA & Texas originally but with all the heat and drought in Texas, gave it a pass. I love NOLA - if I could really get a good job there without starting from the bottom in some other field - I'd probably snap it up and go.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #78
rodr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Oh, man - even without a partner to tour the city - you missed out by not going! If you haven't been to New Orleans - or post-Katrina New Orleans - there is so much to see. Also - much better po-boys than what you probably got at that little place you photographed! :)

I wanted to do my trip via the south through NOLA & Texas originally but with all the heat and drought in Texas, gave it a pass. I love NOLA - if I could really get a good job there without starting from the bottom in some other field - I'd probably snap it up and go.
I actually lived in N.O. for 2 summers back in my college days. Way pre-Katrina, but that still made it easier to skip. Of course summers are pretty sticky there but I loved it anyway. Would be great to go back with a little more time and company!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote