Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Yes you can use the original gaskets but I wouldn't, 99% of the time some of the gaskets stays on either side of the covers and once soaked in oil as they will be , they no longer seal 100%. For the small price it costs to buy new, I always buy new, even on my bike that comes apart every year at least once.

Yes the only way to drain the forks on the newer version bikes is to tip them upside down....however you choose to do that....lol...but as stated before remove forks from bike first....lol.
I have thought that there is still the boss to be able to drill and tap a hole to do the same thing as the older versions have once you get the forks off in the firstplace. Look very closely and decide for yourself. I haven't done one yet but it does look like it's possible. If it doesn't work you could always thread and plug the hole up. If I had an 08 I would be having a go at it for sure rather than taking the forks off ever time. Stupid Kawi again!!!

willys screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 11:55 AM Reason: to keep on track...thanks
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #17
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
There are a plethora of advice columns and websites for the KLR - filled with mostly either bad, regurgitated or opportunistic advice. Many of the experts have a history of failed projects and farkeling.

Take all advice, including this, with a pinch of salt!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #18
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
You should replace them with new ones and replace the rotor bolt too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26oSOrvv_e8&feature=fvsr
Thanks, I didn't want to spend money unnecessarily. It is a KLR after all!

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Aftermarket gaskets- not had 1 problem with them (Cometic) and it is 25K since they were put in. Trips, 2X to VA (via 15 states), 4X to MX and 1X into Canada and not so much as weeping!

To do a proper job the on the forks of an 08+ it is necessary to remove and take them apart. They need to be properly cleaned. There is enough wear contamination in there to make this essential. Replacing oil is half a job.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #20
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 389
Laugh Gear it

I have a 16t on my 09klr and it is great for the long hauls, but with winter closely approaching i am looking to make my bike more city friendly, ( curb hoping, lane spilting and random woods riding) what is the best gear ratio for this? front and back switch? Just the front?

Note; I may hit speeds of 55-65MPH very rarely?
Henderson757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #21
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
I have a 16t on my 09klr and it is great for the long hauls, but with winter closely approaching i am looking to make my bike more city friendly, ( curb hoping, lane spilting and random woods riding) what is the best gear ratio for this? front and back switch? Just the front?

If you get a Eagle Mfg & Eng Prevailaing torque nut it's easy to swap sprockets. http://www.eaglemike.com/Prevailaing-torque-nut-PTN.htm The stock 15t would be best for around town. Sunstar make some nice sprockets. IMO
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #22
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

15t

Will that make switching the front sprocket easier? because I could not get that thing off for the life of me, I watched every youtube video and read treads, and kept feeling like I was going to break it. lol Probly be easier with a air gun, instead of hand socket.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #23
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Tips

It would be nice to get a tips and link sticky going maybe? Tips for doing maintenance, and links to KLR part suppliers or info.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #24
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Quote:
Will that make switching the front sprocket easier? because I could not get that thing off for the life of me, I watched every youtube video and read treads, and kept feeling like I was going to break it. lol Probly be easier with a air gun, instead of hand socket.
Yes it comes off easy and you don't need to use a lock washer. I put the front tire up against a wall and have someone sit on the bike with the rear brake on. Loosen the nut then take the chain off.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #25
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:

My KLR fanatic mechanic regularly drops a tooth on the front, (to a 14) and rides some hardcore woods. He claims the advantage to this is that the slack can be taken out with the adjusters, so changing chains is unnecessary. One tooth is the front is equal to three in the back.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #26
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

The only gasket I have had issues with is the base gasket if touched for some strange reason. It's sililar to a halogen bulb. Once it is contaminated it seems to weep a bit. Best way is to wear fresh rubber gloves and use permatex sealant 515 I think it's called both sides of the gasket. No oil or grease anywhere near it and it will be fine.
Side case gaskets, I use stock gaskets and have never had an issue Head gaskets, either stock or already machined out for the big bore kits, again never a problem.

Carry on Gents...all's good.

willys screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 11:56 AM Reason: to stay on topic
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #27
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Klr

Why wont Kawasaki Update this bike? I would love the bike to have a stronger engine, and six gears :)
Old 11-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #28
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Getting ready to do the Doo on my '06. Can I re-use the old inner and outer gaskets or do I need new ones?
I think it's best to have a fresh set of gaskets on hand just in case you need one.

I did my doo at a tech day with some really helpful KLRista's guiding me through it. Twice actually because I used the coil spring the first time and must have damaged it during installation because it broke the first time I adjusted it. Second time I installed the torsion spring.

Both times I found the gaskets in fine shape and at the suggestion of the KLRista's helping me I did not replace them. I just put a little bit of gasket sealer on it (very little - not slathered on). It's held up fine with no leaks.

The clutch side was a totally different story, That old gasket was stuck on and required a lot of work to get it off.

My .02c is inspect the gasket and if it looks good and came of easy go ahead and re-use it. It's worked for me.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #29
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

The only reason I can see is they are a proven top seller and people ride then forever so to speak. They are at a price where almost anyone can purchase one. They are somewhat builtproof, I did say somewhat. Do the DOO and move on at least.
If they were to do an engine update to include 6 gears I would be it will include FI too. That jump would push the price of the bike into the BMW range I bet. Thus taking it out of the very profitable range it's in at the moment. For us and them.

It is a relatively cheap bike to buy and maintain, parts are readily available almost anywhere on the globe, so why mess with a strong working formula?

Yes even I am still looking for 6th gear it seems lately, would it be nice, sure. But I won't loose any sleep over not having 6th. If someone could redesign the gearbox for a saleable price, I may go for it. But I can just as easy change the sprockets to get close to the same thing. I ride solely on the street. Dirt riders already have the same choice, gear it down for better get up and go if they choose.

I think we always are asking for a better bike for the same money....it will never happen....IMHO.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #30
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Sounds like someone is a bitter person, not wanting to participate without throwing a few stones?
From this comment, sounds now to me like someone may be a defensive, judgmental, perhaps egotistical person.

Here's hoping the purported KLR thread avoids the evangelical dogmatism of the KLR forums mentioned, with self-styled guru authorities dictating the "one true way" to address all issues.

Cynicism and sarcasm aside, no reason not to have a KLR-specific thread, filled (one hopes) with civility and sense.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote