Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #61
Reaperc89
n00b

Oddometer: 2
A club I can now be a part of. Just traded in my 05 GSX-R600 yesterday and picked up a brand new 2011 KLR650. Only put 100 miles on it so far, but I love it.
Reaperc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #62
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I know the fork brace is worth the money, as is most anything from EM,and tire choice depends on what you want to spend. Tourance's are pretty long lived but spendy while IRC's are good for 3-4K but a set is right at $100.00.
I've been looking at the IRC and the Shinko 705. This would be a swap-on-swap off ride. I usually run a fairly aggressive tire, as this is not my road bike, nor is it my only bike. I'm currently on Michelin T63's, which have a reasonably aggressive tread. They howl like a banshee on pavement, and I can't see doing 3000+ paved miles with them, although they have been very nice for my older guy adventures through the mud and the blood and the beer. I kicked out a 350 mile day on them last fall, and I was whupped. The vibration takes a toll.

I see why some people end up on God'lwings. Ain't willing to be that old yet. KLR me.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #63
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperc89 View Post
A club I can now be a part of. Just traded in my 05 GSX-R600 yesterday and picked up a brand new 2011 KLR650. Only put 100 miles on it so far, but I love it.

Welcome to the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,errrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,ahhhhhh hhhhhh,,,,,,unexpensive side

Let the farkeling begin

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #64
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperc89 View Post
Nice.........lucky you Any pictures of your new ride?
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #65
Reaperc89
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Haven't had the opportunity to yet, I will throw up some pictures next time the sun is up : ). How do you guys go about balancing the wheel when you change a tire on the road? I had always avoided changing my own tires on the GSX-R due to not having a balancer, and changing them on the road sounds interesting.
Reaperc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #66
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I never worry about ballancing tires while on the road, I do my own when at home, I'm not that convinced it makes that much difference on a dualsport......especially if the tires have an aggressive knob to them. But to each their own.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #67
Bobby C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket rotors? I bought an 09 last August and now have 8500 miles on it. The front rotor is showing excessive wear. I also have an 02 BMW R1150R and the rotors last almost three times as long. I know that the two bikes are different and things like weight will have an effect on the wear of the rotors but I think that I should be able to get more out of them.
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #68
bigredcherokee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket rotors? I bought an 09 last August and now have 8500 miles on it. The front rotor is showing excessive wear. I also have an 02 BMW R1150R and the rotors last almost three times as long. I know that the two bikes are different and things like weight will have an effect on the wear of the rotors but I think that I should be able to get more out of them.

After market rotors are a must even on the newer bikes. I have a 320mm from KLR650 dot com. I had friends that put the steel break line on the front and it made a big difference.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #69
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
You know, maybe I don't fit in here, but I'm just happy with my 2011 KLR.

I don't need to do anything to it, add anything, modify anything or bolt anything on to it.

It's very comfortable for me at 6'5" and I don't need a bigger screen, risers or any other ergonomic mods. Also pretty happy with the way it handles.

I'm also quite happy with the way it goes out of the box (now it is de-restricted). If I wanted a high performance vehicle I would have bought one, but the KLR is just as fast at the speed limit as a Ducati and probably more fun.

I think I'll just go for a ride :-)
Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #70
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave View Post
You know, maybe I don't fit in here, but I'm just happy with my 2011 KLR.

I don't need to do anything to it, add anything, modify anything or bolt anything on to it.

It's very comfortable for me at 6'5" and I don't need a bigger screen, risers or any other ergonomic mods. Also pretty happy with the way it handles.

I'm also quite happy with the way it goes out of the box (now it is de-restricted). If I wanted a high performance vehicle I would have bought one, but the KLR is just as fast at the speed limit as a Ducati and probably more fun.

I think I'll just go for a ride :-)
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #71
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
I have the 320 larger rotor and love it. I also use the softest pads for this reason, of pads eating rotors. Pads are cheap in comparisn. Plus a Stainless steel line and a CBR600RR master cylinder.....works very well now. I can lock up the front in an emergency situation if need be.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #72
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Too cool that we now have a KLR thread. This bike IMO is like the Swiss Army Knife of the motorcycle world, simple and effective. Anyway I have a new to me 08 that was pretty well modded out when I bought it,Iam now in the process of doing alot of what I think should be done at 10000 miles. New brake pads front and rear,new chain and sprockets, a tear down of the swing arm, Uni-link, and steering bearings for cleaning and relubing.( They were actually in great shape, maybe the OP did them). I havent had to real problem with the oil useage maybe a pint in 2000 miles at freeway and gravel road speeds, not that bad. I plan a trip to Oregon after the first of the year and then to Utah/Moab in April or May.( This is why the extra service work at this time ,I dont what any surprises on my trip) I like this bike, I have honestly owned 13 or 14 dirt and street bikes in the last 45 years and the KLR is in the top two or three for being the best for what I need in a bike. A before and after picture.
Attached Images

WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #73
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I've been looking at the IRC and the Shinko 705. This would be a swap-on-swap off ride. I usually run a fairly aggressive tire, as this is not my road bike, nor is it my only bike. I'm currently on Michelin T63's, which have a reasonably aggressive tread. They howl like a banshee on pavement, and I can't see doing 3000+ paved miles with them, although they have been very nice for my older guy adventures through the mud and the blood and the beer. I kicked out a 350 mile day on them last fall, and I was whupped. The vibration takes a toll.

I see why some people end up on God'lwings. Ain't willing to be that old yet. KLR me.

I have a Shinko 705 on the rear and it works great on the road, but not so good off road. At this point, I would not recommend them.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #74
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
After
Attached Images

WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #75
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Quote:

My project KLR needed a rear rotor, so I replaced it with a budget item found on the fleabay. No problems with it and would recommend it if you need one. Standard size rear, nothing exotic.