User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,964
Bill, I've though much worse than that.

I'm wondering about the design of your tool. The spigot size plays in the design of the ones I've seen pictures for. The main tool takes either of two adapters and is centered by the spigot. Is there another way to do this?

I've never had to fix one of those threads, yet. Didn't they get fixed, drilled and all, free hand years ago?

Charlie
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #17
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
if you don't want to hassle making a fixture, cycleworks rents them.
I have a cylinder from Stagehand (the circlip incident) that I had planned on making into a drill fixture, but once they became available for rent, I peter'd out.
Just no point anymore.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Bill Harris OP
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
...The spigot size plays in the design of the ones I've seen pictures for. The main tool takes either of two adapters and is centered by the spigot. Is there another way to do this?
An interchangable spigot is probably the easiest way. You might be able to have a 97mm spigot on one side and a 99mm on the other side and flip the jig over.
Quote:
I've never had to fix one of those threads, yet. Didn't they get fixed, drilled and all, free hand years ago?

Charlie
It is very do-able to drill by hand. If you are skilled and lucky, the hole (and repaired stud) are nice and square. If you have an off-day, or marginal skills, the stud is wonky. I've seen poorly repaired studs fail and then you have one and only one chance to re-repair it. For the average or below-average home mechanic, it's better to have help, and the drilling jig probably boosts the chance of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
if you don't want to hassle making a fixture, cycleworks rents them.
True that, but some like the idea of making their own tools.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
An interchangable spigot is probably the easiest way. You might be able to have a 97mm spigot on one side and a 99mm on the other side and flip the jig over.
It is very do-able to drill by hand. If you are skilled and lucky, the hole (and repaired stud) are nice and square. If you have an off-day, or marginal skills, the stud is wonky. I've seen poorly repaired studs fail and then you have one and only one chance to re-repair it. For the average or below-average home mechanic, it's better to have help, and the drilling jig probably boosts the chance of success.
True that, but some like the idea of making their own tools.
Thanks Bill, the description of drilling by hand is exactly what I thought it was. Also like your idea of one spigot on each side.

But here's a thing. Do you really need to use the spigot to center the tool? There should only be one thread hole to repair? Most of the time I think. So use the good threads to center the tool, no spigot. Might/might not work?
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Bill Harris OP
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,289
Quote:
Do you really need to use the spigot to center the tool?
Probably not, but the spigot provides an absolute reference point and a higher degree of accuracy. In the worst-case situation you have two or more holes poorly hand drilled and the centering on them is off, the accurate spigot will be necessary. But you're right, in most cases you can center on what studs are there. In fact, on my first homemade drilling jig the stud holes were oversized so taht there was enough play in the jig to accurately index it to the stud being repaired before it was securely bolted down. No spigot adapter and yiu could only do one stud at a time, btu the price was right, even 30 years ago.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #21
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Cool ++

That R65 block gave itself to the Larger Good
And I am all about the larger good!
Besides,
I hate throwin' anything away that could be reused in any way, shape or form......

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote