Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
That lil' bit o' sugar from Ernest's soda was a lifesaver. By now it was mid-afternoon, and we'd not eaten since breakfast. I usually travel with some peanuts or peanut butter crackers for energy. But not today.

The steepness of the grade is always lost in the pics, but the 4wd quad guys were really amazed that'd we'd made it up that far with "those bikes".

I.F. got himself stuck a couple more times, and we got him out until disaster struck. He tweaked his elbow, and was having a hard time modulating the clutch to negotiate the tricky stuff.

And there was indeed some tricky stuff. This hill was a mo-fo, but like Iforgot says, we don't go back.

Takin' a break 1/2 way up.

[more]

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #17
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 16,251
By this time, in the 95 to 98 degree heat and HIGH humidity we were both pretty whooped. We had no food and only water to drink, and we had been at this for about 5 hours. About this time, if you add together a torn up elbow, some of the nastiest slickest mud, a hole, a DEEP hole, and a drunk redneck on a 4 wheeler. You get this

This really helped my elbow, I asked for the pipe bike riding service one last time to get me past the mud.

After this we came to the end of the trail and met up with a bunch of Jeep, and other serious 4 wheelers. One of which also rides a bike and reads this board. His quote "How the HELL did you get those bikes here?"

We rode on into Winchester , TN. got a samich and something to drink trying to get our blood sugar back on track.

Pipe had to head home so he could work today. My left arm was getting worse so only thing to do was head home.

I will be at the Dr. first thing in the morning, I have little to no use of my left arm today, oh well it was a BLAST and now that I have done a road like this I am ready for MORE, but with better tires :-)
Old 08-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #18
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

We've climbed quite a ways by now. Iforgot was in a lot of pain, so over the gnarliest stuff, I'd ride my bike up to a flat spot and park it. The walk down, get I's bike, and ride that up to my bike, and repeat. It was a pretty hairy section of trail, very steep, with many ledges and obstacles that had be be negotiated.

If was fun, in a perverse ADVRider kinda way.

Well, how much further can it go? At each switchback, it got a tad more wierd. Right about now, I'm REALLY glad I didn't ride the BigPig. That would have been a hardship for sure.

The section where I rode both bikes tired me out some. Well, a lot. Did I mention it was hot

Onward and upward, we're almost there. Iforgot was hanging tough with a bad arm.

[more]

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #19
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

All the while we were climbing this 4x4 trail, I kept hearing thunder. I knew we'd get out on dry dirt and rock, but I was quite concerned if we got a gully washer and this stuff softened up. Although I knew I could get the Dakar out by clawing my way on knobs, I was pretty sure Iforgot's bike would be a gonner on the Tourances. So we pushed on when we could have rested.

I really had a ball, as this is exactly what makes a simple day ride into a mini-adventure.

We reached the top of the hill, and the rest of the ride out on the dirt was rather melodromatic compared to where we just were.

I'm still rather impressed how well Iforgot and those Tourances handled some tough terrain. Good onya .

We reached the pavement, and headed to town. I have been without water for a couple hours, my camelback long since dry.

And into Winchester, TN, we rode. A liter of Propel, a tweak to Iforgot's bike to rectify some minor biff damage, and we have to split up. I have a 0600 start time Sunday morning and it's almost 1900 now. And I'm a long ways from home.

I hate to leave a wounded man, but Iforgot assured me he'd be AOK on the ride home. And, thankfully, he was.

Time for me to motorvate. But it looks dark and gloomy ahead.

[more]

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-07-2005 at 08:27 PM
Old 08-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #20
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

The trip home:

I have written before how much of a letdown the ride home always is. But it's the closure to and event.

As I tooled along TN64 headed west, as I passed a hayfield, the aroma permeating my senses, a smile comes to my face. This IS why I ride. I'm not passing through, I'm living it.

The smell of rain is now in the air, the skies long since overcast. A few miles east of Pulaski, TN, the heavens opened. It was long since dark by then, but the lightning blasts illuminated the road for brief instances.

I stopped in Waynesboro TN for fuel and dinner. A Mexican joint was still open. I pulled in, wet and dissheveled, but they took me in. The whole family was there, about to close, but they happily fed me anyway. We spoke in Spanish about Copper Canyon, motocicletas and watched Sabado Gigante as I chowed down on a rather HUGE portion of shrimp fajitas.

Reluctantly, we parted ways, and I walked back out into the rain, fired up the Dakar, and rode off into the thunderstorm as they turned off the OPEN sign.

Adios amigos, y gracias!

An hour later, I pulled into Pickwick Dam, TN. The rain unrelenting. Another end to a great, albeit short, ride. It was a long day in the saddle.

Thanks Iforgot! Get that arm fixed up.

Gaspipe miles today: 289

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #21
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,251
Finally! Some decent trails around here.

WTF am I selling the KTM?!?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #22
TooTall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Great ride report and pictures as always guys.

I'm looking for somewhere to go in early september, may head toward that part of the country for a changes.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #23
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro

Don't do it. Especially now since I'm not getting it. Anyway, it's the Austrian Army Knife of riding.

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #24
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 16,251
I am sure Gaspipe will back me up. This was some of the hardest riding that could be done on these bikes. But we made it. Abet wounded, but home safe and sound. I am going to the orthopedist tomorrow to get my elbow looked at so I can make sure Mexico is on for October.

Gaspipe, it was my pleasure. Great beer drinking, bad steaks, super conversation, and the best riding I have ever done.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #25
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:

'Cos you're a consumer.

Don't do it, man! Get the spring rates right, and savor the beast.

Another great post, GP. IF, hope its not a major. You were hangin' with a big boy!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #26
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Gaspipe,

Thanks for thinking of me on this ride . You guys were up where I used to ride all the time. Funny thing is, once you get on top of the mountain it is flat and pretty easy trails, but going up with the baby head rocks sucks.

Seriously, look me up next time you want to go for a ride. I might even let you ride the KTM .

Greg
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #27
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Greg,

I didn't even think about ya -sorry dude. I assumed you were a ways north of there. I'd much rather have been on my (your) KTM than the F650 going up that sob of a hill.

Next time I'm in that area, I'll ring ya up and we'll ride.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM
Gaspipe,

Thanks for thinking of me on this ride . You guys were up where I used to ride all the time. Funny thing is, once you get on top of the mountain it is flat and pretty easy trails, but going up with the baby head rocks sucks.

Seriously, look me up next time you want to go for a ride. I might even let you ride the KTM .

Greg

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #28
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Don't do it. Especially now since I'm not getting it. Anyway, it's the Austrian Army Knife of riding.

Too late. The cheque as they say, is in the mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
'Cos you're a consumer.

Don't do it, man! Get the spring rates right, and savor the beast.

Spring rates weren't the problem. No time to ride it was. Money in the bank is sometines better than in the garage.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:21 PM   #29
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Too late. The cheque as they say, is in the mail
And now is then the end of an era. Which usually means the start of a new one

Ride the Sooopa Shooopa! Jetted to perfection, yes?

Hair of the dog....
Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #30
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,578
Nice ride, guys. If I had read this before my trip I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. But then, what would the fun be in that?