Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,001
There are a ton of aftermarket front fenders the newer fenders are molded in such a way that most of them do not need braces.

I have Acerbies Black Honda CRF450R front fender for my GS, that I've yet to mount seems like it was 20 bucks or so.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #17
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by worley_craig View Post
Airhead Wrangler, I'm digging your headlight setup. Can you tell me more about that. I was thinking about retro fitting my R100GS with a /7 headlight bucket, but didn't know what to do with the speedo and tach.
Baja Designs 8" race light. I really like mine.

The standard race light is a single filament or HID light - no high/ low function - but is adjustable on the fly unsing the knob on the top. Quick detach using pegs into receivers, and an e-clip at the base. The receivers jubliee clip to the fork legs. The receivers length is 15.5mm, compared to 15.0mm open fork leg space (between the triple clamps). Either put a 5mm spacer under the bottom bearing, or have slot machined in the receivers. Sounds complicated, but is fairly easy in practice

I've got a Boatman H4 conversion in mine so I could run a Hella insert with a standard H4 bulb, in order to meet NZ legal requirements, which requires a headlight that dips to the left. Some of the reasons I went with this light set up include that:

1. The (toughened glass) Hella insert is cheap to replace if I catch a random stone. Compare that to the stock bosch item;
2. It has a pilot slot, so I can run a 20w halogen 'pilot light' - which I use as a day running light, rather than the headlight
3. The headlight bucket gives better protection for the assembly that the comparable Trailtech competitor
4. The bucket has given me room to hide some electrics, & is big enough to allow heat to dissipate from the reflector (running a 90/130w)
5. The design seemed more rbust than the stock /7 light. Crash with those & you are up for at least a chrome bezel
6. Cost. Whilst the race light seems initially expensive, stock /7 parts would be dearer over here, if available
7. Looks to fit well with the HPN tank IMHO

We both have vapour speedometers, but with different mount solutions.

Sorry Airhead Wrangler if I stole your thunder...

I've pulled my photos of my 48mm USD fork conversion in order to keep from offending Beemeboff's (senior) sensibilities..

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 02:05 AM Reason: Expanded explanation
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
worley_craig
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the info guys! Sweet setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
Baja Designs 8" race light. I really like mine.

The standard race light is a single filament or HID light - no high/ low function - but is adjustable on the fly unsing the knob on the top. Quick detach using pegs into receivers, and an e-clip at the base. The receivers jubliee clip to the fork legs. The receivers length is 15.5mm, compared to 15.0mm open fork leg space (between the triple clamps). Either put a 5mm spacer under the bottom bearing, or have slot machined in the receivers. Sounds complicated, but is fairly easy in practice

I've got a Boatman H4 conversion in mine so I could run a Hella insert with a standard H4 bulb, in order to meet NZ legal requirements, which requires a headlight that dips to the left. Some of the reasons I went with this light set up include that:

1. The (toughened glass) Hella insert is cheap to replace if I catch a random stone. Compare that to the stock bosch item;
2. It has a pilot slot, so I can run a 20w halogen 'pilot light' - which I use as a day running light, rather than the headlight
3. The headlight bucket gives better protection for the assembly that the comparable Trailtech competitor
4. The bucket has given me room to hide some electrics, & is big enough to allow heat to dissipate from the reflector (running a 90/130w)
5. The design seemed more rbust than the stock /7 light. Crash with those & you are up for at least a chrome bezel
6. Cost. Whilst the race light seems initially expensive, stock /7 parts would be dearer over here, if available
7. Looks to fit well with the HPN tank IMHO

We both have vapour speedometers, but with different mount solutions.

Sorry Airhead Wrangler if I stole your thunder...

I've pulled my photos of my 48mm USD fork conversion in order to keep from offending Beemeboff's (senior) sensibilities..
worley_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
cgoodwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Very similar light for $299
http://gnarlyparts.ca/product_info.p...ucts_id=106195
cgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Hey, Airhead Wrangler, what can you say about that headlight and speedo? I'm looking to replace mine as well and am in ask-a-bunch-of-dumb-questions mode.

IGNORE: Someone beat me to that question!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #21
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Hey, Airhead Wrangler, what can you say about that headlight and speedo? I'm looking to replace mine as well and am in ask-a-bunch-of-dumb-questions mode.

IGNORE: Someone beat me to that question!
Which one?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:17 AM   #22
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Either one!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #23
jian var
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Ufo vintage series!
jian var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #24
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
What's wrong with a standard high mudguard?
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #25
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Here's another source for G/S and GS parts: http://www.boxercafe.com/r80-gsparts.htm