Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
So one of the things you suspect is the noise you think is bottoming out is actually something else? Or is it the lack of movement that makes you think the forks have bottomed out? Misaligned tubes, sometimes called sticktion, can make the front end stop movement mid-way through passage. (sometimes I can't help being too wordy, Sorry 'bout that)
Charlie
Nah, in my case I had run the bike for about 3 1/2 years following its restoration with the anti-bottoming springs installed, and it seemed as though they were simply along for the ride. I hadn't realised that they require a modified nylon bumper to "hold" them, and instead they were simply sitting on top of the standard bumpers. This is what was causing the rattle.

When I next rode the bike after having removed them, the front guard kissed the horn, something it had never done before. So without disturbing the stanchions I simply removed the big nut at the base of the sliders and refitted them after a short time, but this time I used the correct nylon bumpers. No more rattle, and no more damage to my front guard.

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
bay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
bmw r1oo fork swap

ok,so now i have new progressive fork springs in,which i bought from a shop just over the boarder in germany.so with a service kit from moto bins in england new 5 waight oil and the springs i am very please with the end result.i think ill try and contact toastertan as his top yokes look the dogs danglies.thanks for all your help.
bay is offline   Reply With Quote