Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #10501
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,003
Rdo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post
Reidy, your's an RD07A or RD07? Which Year Model?
It is a 93 RDO7.

What is the difference in the "A's"
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #10502
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Quote:
According to the service book, the black wire is the feedback voltage line and should read battery voltage to the ground with the ignition switch ON. This is what "tells" the reg/reg when the elactrical systems are on and was removed from later models... just don't ask me why...

As per the bike's electrical diagram, this black wire connects to the loom and goes to the fuse box (Fuse C, 20A on a RD07 XRV750L year model).

If you're planning to use a Mosfet reg/rec, than you can leave that black wire out because the mosfet won't need it. Just isolate it correctly as this wire sits on the switched side of the fuse box (or you can use it to power your gps for instance...)

I hope this helps
Great information. I will use it as a power source. Pretty light wire it would seem . I got the Mosfet wired in last night and I am charging the battery fully before I complete the install so i can use the multi meter and check the sytem everywhere.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #10503
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
I know the "non As" have a bit more power.
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will surely fill you in.
Nevetheless, the info I posted about the extra reg/rec wire still holds true.
The reason I asked your bike's year model was to check the appropriate service book.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #10504
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Quote:
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will surely fill you in.
Nevetheless, the info I posted about the extra reg/rec wire still holds true.
The reason I asked your bike's year model was to check the appropriate service book.
Good deal. I appreciate the resources you have to offer. Amazing help.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #10505
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Interesting - can you share this information in numbers?

I was always under the impression that all the 750 engines (RD04, RD07, RD07A) put out the same power at 61bhp (45.5kW) at 7500rpm, and 61Nm torque at 6000rpm
1989 Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #10506
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Great information. I will use it as a power source. Pretty light wire it would seem . I got the Mosfet wired in last night and I am charging the battery fully bofore I complete the install so i can use the multi meter and check the sytem everywhere.
On my RD07A I had to connect the ground wire directly to the battery. The positive wire off the reg/rec goes straight to the battery via the bike's 30A main fuse, but the negative wanders through the loom.
I measured the bikes charging voltage at the battery posts and it read lower than 14 V with the mosfet reg/rec wired as per the old shunt-type reg/rec. I then soldered an eyelet terminal of the appropriate size to a piece of wire of the adequate gauge, attched it to the negative battery post, spliced and soldered the other end to the reg/rec's connector (loom side) and then measured the charging voltage at the same place under the same conditions. It was now a bit higher, 14,1 V in my case; without the ground direct connection, I was reading only 13,7V... the service book for the RD07A states the following for checking the charging voltage:

-Engine at operating temperature
-5.000 rpm
-Low beams on
-Voltage at battery posts should be between 14 and 15 V

For the '93 RD07, the test conditions are the same except the service book does not indicate the need for the low beams to be on... nevertheless, I would measure the charging voltage with the bike at the normal operating conditions and if in your country the traffic law has you riding a bike with the headligths' low beams on, then that's how you should check the charging voltage.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #10507
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforce8 View Post
Interesting - can you share this information in numbers?

I was always under the impression that all the 750 engines (RD04, RD07, RD07A) put out the same power at 61bhp (45.5kW) at 7500rpm, and 61Nm torque at 6000rpm
Will check this for you.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #10508
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
At last here we have new Africa Twin. Thank You Mr. Honda. http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat...c-scooter.html
Pulasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #10509
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Co-incidence ?

Soichiro died in 1991.

Aimless wandering in design and racing support since.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #10510
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Mod done

Here is a pic of the mod installed.

I ran the positive and negative direct to the battery and then the three wires from the stator had to be lengthened so I crimped in the extra wire. I wired in the 30amp fuse that came with the kit and you can see it in the red rubber boot just before I went in to the battery box. Simple enough mod really. I am getting over 14 at the battery with it sitting and a little less with it running but not much. At idle it is higher and at a few thousand rpm it drops slightly.

Just got to do some electrical tape work and secure the wires and I am good to go.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Cheers
Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #10511
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 614
nice Reidy . I would heatshrink the connections

did it 1 month ago. Getting 14.7-14.8V. At idle however, goes down into the 13..

cold up here so handwarmers are on+++ >>>>>14.4v

suspect that the battery will be in the not distant future...
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #10512
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Hi Reidy...posting your pic i assume you want an opinion? It's not how i would wire my mosfet in. Too many butt splices which if the crimper is sub-standard it can lead to further problems of high resistance should they vibrate loose or from corrosion. I would have ordered in sealed connectors and wiring harness as req'd from Jim over at Eastern Beaver..
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html
...and further soldering for best results. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...p280_help.html
I personally like and would only use a plug connector/solder for the stator harness however as an alternative i would only solder and heat shrink those wires as opposed to butt splicing. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure yours will be fine but i would not gaurantee a butt splice over time especially from a stator where higher resistance from a poor connection and with no waterproofing will only lead to problems. I would also like to see 14.0 vdc or better yet 14.5 vdc at the minimum when at idle with this type of R/R. I get 14.5 vdc with mine at idle and that is with an old style R/R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Here is a pic of the mod installed.

I ran the positive and negative direct to the battery and then the three wires from the stator had to be lengthened so I crimped in the extra wire. I wired in the 30amp fuse that came with the kit and you can see it in the red rubber boot just before I went in to the battery box. Simple enough mod really. I am getting over 14 at the battery with it sitting and a little less with it running but not much. At idle it is higher and at a few thousand rpm it drops slightly.

Just got to do some electrical tape work and secure the wires and I am good to go.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Cheers
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #10513
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforce8 View Post
Hi,
in Austria we have two different HP on the 750 engines: 50 HP and 60 HP as the germany modell has.
The Austrian Modell has a different camshaft and a different intake with a smaller diameter.

The RD07A Modell has a different Ignition and a throttle Sensor, a different Frontlight.
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #10514
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 119
@Reidy

here a Picture from my mosfet installation on the RD07 Bj. 1994

I think it is important to connect the three yellow wires from the alternator with one waterproof connector, otherwise you have too many sources of errors

Maybe it is better to make the yellow wires from the mosfet to the wires from the alternator long enough for one connector.
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #10515
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

You kidding me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
@Reidy

here a Picture from my mosfet installation on the RD07 Bj. 1994

I think it is important to connect the three yellow wires from the alternator with one waterproof connector, otherwise you have too many sources of errors

Maybe it is better to make the yellow wires from the mosfet to the wires from the alternator long enough for one connector.
Mate this looks like total shit.... who does your work. I would fire my guy if he put out finish results like this....

Just kidding of course. That is one sweet ass job. I think when I have time I will have to do some better work but for right now I need to ride it so I am wrapping everything in electrical tape and rolling down the road. Just how us Aussie's do it.