Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
empanadaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
The only thing they got going for them is the girls and their little swimming pool plus they have the biggest Wed night roofpartys in the old city

I stay cheap living with a local sleeping on my cot in his bedroom floor. I have to take lots of cold showers, no AC for me
John from Cartagena

I do like girls... although I prefer paisas over dirty backpacker girls
empanadaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
empanadaman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Media Luna is hot, crowded and loud.

It's not a cheap town by Colombian standards, but once you're there in person things will work out pretty quickly. There are dozens of options, particularly if you're not firmly committed to staying in or near the old town.

Best advice: pay extra for A/C if you're arriving from someplace temperate.

Mark

Not at all committed to staying near the old town. Really I just want to get my bike and start riding. I'd be happy to sleep on the dock and wait for the boat to get in!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
empanadaman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Finally found it today after having the bike locked up for two days at the DIAN, at least it was free parking and everything was secure

Me and two Germans and Jos found some after stopping at several insurance companies. I was located over near the marina in Manga of all places, 83k pesos for 3 months.

Thanks for the picture Mark, that was one of the places we went to right before we got redirected over to Manga.

My bike is free and legal, now I just need to do a little reworking...

First real legal ride today that I've had on my bike in a couple of months and it felt damn fine

Bring SA on I'm ready to ride, well almost

Where exactly is the place you went to in Manga? I was riding around there today looking for anything saying Seguro or SOAT but didn't see it. I did hit about 4-5 gas stations, down some crazy busy street... seems like most of the Mobile stations sell SOAT, but they were all out of the SOAT papers except for one and at that one the guy said he didn't know how to do it for me since our titles don't have a separate number for the engine! I told him to use the VIN but he wasn't having it. Anyways he was only selling 1 year policies and even though my visa is good till the end of the year, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna head south in about 6 months. So a 6 month policy would be nice.

Of course all the SOAT places are closed tomorrow (Sunday) so I'll try and knock it out on Monday, then head back to Medellin early Tuesday morning.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
Pm sent
Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #20
empanadaman
Adventurer

Found the SOAT office, thanks to directions from Throttlemeister. This place is in Manga, very close to Getsamani and you can buy shorter policies here than at the gas stations.

Calle 25 #24-178. From Getsamani take Cr 17 south over the bridge, there is a Texaco on the left and an amusement type park on the right. Take a right at the amusement park and make two lefts to get onto Calle 25. It will be on your right, with the amusement park across the street on your left.

I had all my stuff with me ready to make a run for Medellin as soon as I got the SOAT but within probably the first 60 seconds of the 10 hour trip I had a flat!

Found a tire shop and got it fixed for 10,000 COP!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #21
federicoc
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I recommend to them to buy the SOAT in a sure place, not in gas stations
federicoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #22
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 543
If that 7th floor office was the same one we asked in last month (a bank building right near that triangle intersection with Cervantes statue), it may have moved. We had success at a Seguros Sura office located quite near most of the hostels people tend to stay at in Getsemaní. I don't have an address, or a picture, but here are enough clues to get you there:
  • Near the fortress
  • Over the bridge that connects Getsemení to Manga
  • Across from the Botas Viejas (or Zapatos Viejos) sculpture
  • Between the Chevrolet and Renault dealerships
Maybe this map will give some perspective. The office is big and new, opens at 8am during the week. We were able to purhase a 1 month policy there. It seems like this office, or the one in Manga shown in earlier posts are your best bets.

Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
There's a place on the 7th floor in a building on one of those triangle corners just outside the walled city entrance.

Following the street in this pic to the right another a hundred meters or so if my recollection is good. I drank a ton of cuba libres here so I may be off a bit.

csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote