User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Oldandslower OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Garfield Statues..Thursday August 4th and 5th, 2011

Since Jim Davis (creator of Garfield Comics) was born in Fairmount, Indiana (13 miles away) and I needed a riding project, I decided to ride around Grant County, in northern Indiana, and take pictures of all the nearby Garfield statues that have erected to honor Jim.

I climbed aboard my trusty steed, a Honda CBR250R, and took off for the first statue in Van Buren, Indiana:

Van Buren, Indiana is the home of Weaver Popcorn Company and Indiana raises more popcorn than any other state, the stature incorporates popcorn shipped all over the world:

Van Buren had a high school back until 1960 and the basketball team was "The Aces".

Next stop was Upland, Indiana home of Taylor University and more importantly, Ivanhoe's Restaurant (some of the Midwest's best ice cream):

When I took this picture the Upland stature was inside Upland City Town Hall. It's now located beside Ivanhoe's Restaurant where it should be (IMHO).

Back on the bike to ride to Matthews, Indiana. When I got to Matthews I stopped and asked a lady where the statue was and she told me it had been down by the covered bridge but it had been removed as vandals had damaged it. It is now under repair.

I rode to Fairmount, Indiana to see the "James Dean", "Cool Cat" Garfield. James Dean lived in Fairmount and is buried there:

Since I was in Fairmount and my friend, John Nave lives in Fairmount, I rode over to John's house and asked him to ride with me on my adventure. Here's John and his Rocker C taken last Spring (the bike behind John was my 2008 H.D. Street Glide I had last Spring):

So, off to Swayzee we rode. The only "Swayzee" in the world and where I went to school:

Swayzee Garfield depicts the "basketball crazy" Indiana:

This scoreboard was in the gym when I was in grade school (1940's). John and I stopped for pie and coffee in Swayzee before riding over to Sweester, IN.

This Garfield depicts riding off on the train to college as there were three sets of train tracks in Sweester (a lot for a small town, I guess.)

Next stop, Marion. One statue is at one end of the Cardinal Walking Trail:

and the other is at Marion General Hospital:

End of the first day so John took off and I rode home. Next day I rode over to my friend Larry Burke's house for a visit before continuing my "Garfield ride": Larry was busy working on his scooter, "Bumble Bee" :

Larry also has a "trike" he built using a VW car frame, Honda motorcycle front end, and a VW engine. Larry rode it to Alaska, and back, a few years ago but wanted to get back on two wheels so he bought the "Bumble Bee":

While I was at Larry's another friend of ours, Billy Niverson, stopped and asked me to come over and take pictures of his BMW motorcycle he had for sale. I left Larry's and went over to Billy's and took many pictures (he's since sold the bike.) I asked Billy if he wanted to ride with me to take pictures of the remaining Garfield statues. He said, "Sure!", and away we rode. Well, Billy drove. In this (taken last Spring):

Everywhere we go people get their cell phones out to take pictures of Billy's T-REX. First we went to Gas City and I took a picture of the "Gas Boom" Garfield:

During the natural gas boom in Grant County there were several glass bottle factories located here. That's why Garfield is glass blowing.

and then the Jonesboro "Fire Fighter" Garfield:

After that, I rode out to the Arbor Trace Golf Course, north of Marion, to take a picture of the Garfield statue that is inside the club house. All the statues are five feet tall and made of fiberglass except the one at Arbor Trace. It's not one of the "official ones" as it was craved out of a tree and is, of course, wooden. It's very attractive, anyway. It's called "Duffer Garfield":

That concluded my adventure. It was a nice way to spend a couple days, visiting with friends and riding around Grant County taking pictures.

P.S. This is my first posting so be gentle!

Oldandslower screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 09:34 AM
Oldandslower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
RoverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Very cool pictures. I don't live in Fairmount but I do go there regularly and I've even met your friend John Nave. A family member bought one of his motorcycles a while back. Thanks for posting those pictures. I have ridden my bikes around Madison and Grant counties for years and have always enjoyed it.
RoverGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Motley
Lurker

Oddometer: 2,516
What a great first post!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Oldandslower OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
What a great first post!
Thanks much. I ride with a group of "older gentlemen" , "The Over The Hill Gang". Two of our members are in their eighties, two in their sixties, and the rest in their seventies. We mostly do day rides but some go off on longer adventures. We have a blog I maintain at http://larryharleyplace.blogspot.com/

I thought I'd bring some of our more interesting rides over here.
Oldandslower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Motley
Lurker

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslower View Post
Thanks much. I ride with a group of "older gentlemen" , "The Over The Hill Gang". Two of our members are in their eighties, two in their sixties, and the rest in their seventies.......
Alright! There's hope for this fifty year old youngster.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 287
Right on

it is so cool the you and your buddy's still get together and ride . you are a lucky man!
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote