User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Johnnyboxer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Winter has arrived - Today's trails

A few week's ago Chris (2gses) suggested a trail ride, so we set the date for today

The forecast was ok'ish, especially in the East (rather than the Dales) so when they arrived we opted for the North York Moors, setting off from my place close to Thirsk

There were 5 of us in total, all had a GS of some sort...................but today we were on proper 250 cc trailbikes, the others all Yamaha mounted (2 TTR's and 2 WR's) and me on my recently acquired Honda XR250.

I'm glad we were all on 250's today, because it meant we could do any trail we fancied

The plan was to set off @ 10am and be back by 2.30pm, after all winter meant short days.................the plan worked!

I led for the first half until lunch and Chris led after lunch - lunch was a pasty from Thomas the Baker in Helmsley, amply suplemented by a take-out hot drink, quick and easy

The first few trails were relatively straightforward, although wet in places with very slippery mud

Going up Oldstead bank

Lunch stop @ Helmsley

This was a new trail to me, never done it in 20 years and it was a cracker - lovely Beech woods with a spooky name more suited to Halloween

After that it was into Farndale and another snotty trail I haven't done to at least 10 years

Don't injure any daffodils in Spring

It got progressively more difficult - one buried TTR and someone looking for inspiration or divine intervention

Next..............it was high up in Farndale and the weather closed in for a time, with snow falling every 100metres we rose upwards

Another good and hardly used trail, with a bit of everything - mud, rocks and a river crossing

Good view from the top though

After the weather worsened, we headed out of Farndale via Monket Bank and traversed Rudland Rigg drove road towards Bransdale

Riding through Bransdale was spectacular and we were back in Helmsley for a quick fuelstop (not much range on these pocket thumpers)

Then it was onto Ampleforth and a quaint trail that runs through the old college grounds and then back up a trail over White Horse Bank and onto Sutton Bank

The road ride home was wet and cold and we were glad to arrive as quickly as possible

We covered about 100 miles door to door.................enough in these conditions

I doubt the XChallenge would have made any of the trails after lunch and it's good to be back on a small lightweight inconspicuous trailbike again................the Honda XR performed faultlessly on its maiden outing, always started in no more than 2-3 kicks and I only dropped it once (not paying attention) and it covered the ground well, most of the time not breaking traction.................not bad for a 13 year old trailbike

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
What a great display of pix from your ride.

You should work for the tourist office for better DS rides. Good job.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,811
Johnnyboxer - Nice trip report

Makes me want to get a little thumper -

cheers

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote