ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
Proposed 2012 MT Ride

I'm considering putting together a 5 dayish ride that would showcase several of what I think are the best sections of the Montana 1000 which I've had the pleasure of riding in 2010 & 2011. I'm envisioning riding east from Elk City, ID on the Macgruder Corridor / Nez Pierce Trail to Darby, MT, pavement to the historic ghost town of Bannock, MT, ride the historical dirt Bannock Wagon Road N to S to Sheep Creek and then east to Dell, MT. From Dell we'd head up into and ride the Gravelly Range Road S to N. This gravel road is among, if not the most, scenic roads I've ever ridden on. Much of it is at 8k feet and above and is in grizzly bear country (I've never seen any). The road terminates near Ennis, MT from which we'd head for Lolo, MT and ride the Lolo Motorway westbound (dirt travel north of the paved US12), unless there was interest in seeing another significant ghost town (Garnet) before doing the Lolo Motorway.

Is there any ADVRider interest in doing such a ride in mid July? This would be a full on camping ride. I do have some local Puget Sound rider interest in doing this ride. The exact timing will be dependent upon the snow level conditions.

7/3/2012 Update:

We're still planning for a 7/22 departure from Elk City, ID from the Gas Station/Restaurant on the "west" end of town. Several of us will arrive on either Friday or Saturday nite before departure and will be camping in the area at places to be determined.

Those who have indicated they will be coming are (if you are not on the list and want to be, let me know and I'll put you on the list):
Timmer
Wansfel
Chadx
Idahorenegade
Clark60
zzo
HellsAlien
XR_doug
ErroneousMonk
Khuddy
SpousalUnit
Williamsonfour

Don't be concerned about the group being too large, we'll break down into smaller natural riding groups. This is a big bike friendly ride, personally I don't ride fast, and I like to take lots of pictures.

Here's a link to a file in Google Docs for my version 1 of the ride.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwt...DJMNVNSMUk5amc

I've made the GPX file editable, but please just download and edit it as you wish. If you would then send me a copy of your GPX file, I'll upload the latest versions.

Here's a summary:
Day 1 - Elk City, ID to Darby, MT - 125 miles - Probably camping somewhere on the NEZ Perce Trail. TBD.
Day 2 - Darby, MT to Clark, MT Reservoir - 126 miles - Includes a recommended side trip to Bannack Ghost town - some pavement
Day 3 - Clark Reservoir, MT to Gravelly Range Primitive Camping Site (very nice site) - 124 miles - Lots of gravel & scenery
Day 4 - Gravelly Range Camping to Ruby Dam Camping - 97 miles - Lots of time to enjoy the Gravelly Range Road - several additional riding options both up in the Gravelly Range and south of Ruby Dam.
Day 5 - Ruby Dam to US93 south of LOLO - 214 Miles - Unfortunately this is pavement day in order to transition us back to the Lolo Motorway
Day 6 - Lolo, MT to Pierce, ID - 171 miles - Lots of great riding on the LOLO Motorway. We may have to split this into an additional day.

Another version created by Wansfel can be found here (I've not merged them yet and there are good suggestions in this revision):
http://sdrv.ms/KLnfYh

If you look at posts beginning around #93, there's some interesting and helpful information found there.

I'll put important update information in this first post as well as at the end of the thread.

7/17/12 UPDATE:

I just spoke with the Ranger at Elk City and the Magruder Corridor is open although she mentioned there has been a great deal of rain which could lead to fallen trees. There are no camping restrictions although significant travel off the road is not permitted.

I also spoke with the Ranger at Ennis, MT and the Gravelly Range is open; HOWEVER, no campfires are permitted except in specific fire rings. (Stage 1 alert). The Ranger said that even with the recent rains, they do not expect to loosen the restrictions in the next two weeks. So, be sure to bring your JETBOIL or PRIMUS or WHISPERLITE or whatever similar form of portable cooking or water warming device of choice. Don't count on being able to use a campfire.

All this being said, the 2012 Best of MT 1000 is officially a GO!! I'll be in Elk City on Saturday during the day.

My cellphone is 206-947-3073.

My Spot Tracker link is: http://tinyurl.com/spotwalla-com-timmer

I'm planning to ride to Colfax on Friday and visit with relatives and then ride to Elk City on Saturday morning. I'll try to stay at the Red River Hot Springs if there is camping there. Here's a link to their site: http://www.redriverhotspringsidaho.com/ The contact phone number is: 208-842-2587.

As indicated previously, the ride will depart from the ELK CITY GAS STATION on Sunday morning 7/22 at 8am.

If you have any last minute questions, please feel free to call or text me or email me directly at tk.bowman@comcast.net.

'03 Wing
'01 ST1100

Timmer screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 01:54 PM Reason: Update on 7/17 for Current Info
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Imachimper
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 129
I would be interested. End of July might be clear of snowpac. There might be a chance of an overnight at a cabin near Elk City. Keep me in the loop.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,972
Well dang!

Just recently sold the Dakar! Now I'm pretty much gravel and asphalt road bound on my airhead hack. That is the PERFECT MT ride you have described there Timmer. I"m trying to think of a way to include the ride past Georgetown Lake north along the scenic route to Phillipsburg. From there it's a quick jump to Drummond and thence west to Garnet. Guess I'll have to start sniffing around for another DS.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
Just recently sold the Dakar! Now I'm pretty much gravel and asphalt road bound on my airhead hack. That is the PERFECT MT ride you have described there Timmer. I"m trying to think of a way to include the ride past Georgetown Lake north along the scenic route to Phillipsburg. From there it's a quick jump to Drummond and thence west to Garnet. Guess I'll have to start sniffing around for another DS.
I know several dirt routes to Garnet, but my main emphasis is on what I've posted.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
BigRig
lurker

Oddometer: 12
Just moved to Mercer Island, WA from CT. I saw some BMW bikes on the road today and figured I should pop in and see what the ADV forums out here are like. This trip sounds like it would be pretty awesome. I've never seen any of the country between WI and WA and am really looking forward to seeing it. I'm hoping to find places as beautiful as CO that's a closer bike trip.

I'm not familiar with the weather though, what's to be expected as far as snow riding goes? I've never ridden on snow with 2 wheels.
BigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
I'm interested, it works better for me if the 5 days are through a weekend.
JA
Jackazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,076
Timmer,

Sounds intersting to me. I missed the Gravelly Range Road last summer on the MT1000 so I am anxious to hit this stretch next summer. I covered the Magruder then the Lolo Motorway solo last September on an extended weekend trip. but even the last half of the Lolo was in "low clouds" and drizzle which really limited the scenic view. I have a couple of dirt back road extensions that could enhance the Lolo portion between the town of Lolo and the entrance to the Motorway near Lochsa Lodge.

Note, there is another ghost town just east of Phillipsburg (Granite) and another option is Elkhorn just east of Boulder. Lots of options. Another ghost town - Coolidge - is located on the scenic byway north of Polaris (Bannack).

Ron

Wansfel screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 08:59 AM Reason: add info
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 701
a few questions...

Timmer,

What's the fuel range required? Is this a beginner/intermediate/advanced route

Will there be a limit on number of participants and will GPS tracks be distributed to the group or follow-the-leader navigation?

Thanks! Dorian

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Timmer,

What's the fuel range required? Is this a beginner/intermediate/advanced route

Will there be a limit on number of participants and will GPS tracks be distributed to the group or follow-the-leader navigation?

Thanks! Dorian
Dorian,

GPS tracks will be provided. Whatever groups form will happen. Some riders like to ride fast; some slower. The fuel range is about 150 miles, but I'll need to verify that as I tweak the route.

It's probably an advanced beginner / intermediate ride. The route is definitely big bike friendly with no known single track.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Dorian,

GPS tracks will be provided. Whatever groups form will happen. Some riders like to ride fast; some slower. The fuel range is about 150 miles, but I'll need to verify that as I tweak the route.

It's probably an advanced beginner / intermediate ride. The route is definitely big bike friendly with no known single track.

Tim in Burien, WA
Thanks heaps for the info Timmer. Sounds fun! Early days yet for a commitment but I'm noodling it over. Will stay tuned.

- Dorian

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
hvman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
very interested!

It will depend on the dates, but I'd really like to go!
hvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Timmer,

This looks like fun. I don't think I will have the time available to join you this summer but I'll keep an eye on it just in case.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Danodemotoman
Danodemotoman

Oddometer: 251
Following thread...
Interested for sure!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
paul6
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Yes,

I am intersted,

Paul6 in North Bend,WA
paul6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,553
This is still along way off for my schedule,I hope to be in ID during July so it could work.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote