Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #76
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
My wife got a shot of me going down the interstate. Seems my tag is invisible with thew trailer attached so i'll have to come up with a solution for that.

Evan, in looking at your previous photos, the plate looks visible without you on it. In the photo with you on the bike it is completely covered and some. ProCycle sells a "clean up your backside" kit for the DR, it moves the license plate up and out of harms way and more visable. I would also check your suspensions static sag, it appears that your bikes sags a bit more than it should. Perhaps you need more preload or a stiffer spring. I don't know what you have in your top box, but if it's a lot of weight move it to the trailer, that might help too.

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #77
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Evan, in looking at your previous photos, the plate looks visible without you on it. In the photo with you on the bike it is completely covered and some. ProCycle sells a "clean up your backside" kit for the DR, it moves the license plate up and out of harms way and more visable. I would also check your suspensions static sag, it appears that your bikes sags a bit more than it should. Perhaps you need more preload or a stiffer spring. I don't know what you have in your top box, but if it's a lot of weight move it to the trailer, that might help too.
Yeah, as shown here (without my fat butt on the bike) the trailer doesn't block the line of sight to the tag.

When I sit on it, apparently the bike sags just a little too much. According to her pic, even using the tag bracket from ProCycle wouldn't work because it still places it below the fender.

I have the 8.3 spring from ProCycle. Notice quite an improvement over stock but maybe I can crank the preload down a bit still to get it to sag less.

Otherwise, I can always duck tape the tag to the back of my helmet.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #78
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Yeah, as shown here (without my fat butt on the bike) the trailer doesn't block the line of sight to the tag.

When I sit on it, apparently the bike sags just a little too much. According to her pic, even using the tag bracket from ProCycle wouldn't work because it still places it below the fender.

I have the 8.3 spring from ProCycle. Notice quite an improvement over stock but maybe I can crank the preload down a bit still to get it to sag less.

Otherwise, I can always duck tape the tag to the back of my helmet.

Or mount it to your top box. That's my plan.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #79
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
my tag is invisible with thew trailer attached so i'll have to come up with a solution for that.
Yeah but the ADV sticker is in plain sight! Isn't that good enough?
States left to ride: MI, WI, MN, ND, ID, NV, OR, WA, AK and HI. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet
JoeyBones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #80
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will do some research. If you do move it to your top box, be sure to have a light on it still. Perhaps I need to design an even "higher" profile license plate/tail light mount than the ProCycle one???

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #81
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Yeah but the ADV sticker is in plain sight! Isn't that good enough?
For me, yes. For a bored cop looking for a good excuse to pull someone over, probably not

Quote:
I will do some research. If you do move it to your top box, be sure to have a light on it still. Perhaps I need to design an even "higher" profile license plate/tail light mount than the ProCycle one???
Good point. And yes, you could always build a Bracket.... MrBracket
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #82
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Good point. And yes, you could always build a Bracket.... MrBracket
Yes, you'd think a guy named MrBracket could make a bracket......

Well, as a matter of fact I can!!!

It's a bracket that mounts under the fender to the subframe in the same holes the original license plate holder mounts. The boys over at ProCycle came thru for me again, they hooked me up with a slick little LED tail light that also has a license plate light built into it. I just made a modified version of the ProCycle license plate mount that bent up instead of down and added the light mount.

Here is the ProCycle mounting bracket, which raises the plate a few inches over stock.

Here is the same view with the one I made today.

Again the ProCycle one:

And, the new one I made today. The LED is SUPER BRIGHT! The tail light alone is a huge improvment!

As you can see, the new plate/tail light mount doesn't sit any higher than even the low profile DR250 tail light yet it raises the license plate another few inches over the ProCycle version. Personally I like the look of the ProCycle kit but if you need the extra height, this should work pretty well. I will make a cap off plate for the hole in the rear fender that has a gromet in it for the wiring to pass through. I will also put a trailer light plug in the wiring harness so it's plug and play for adding trailer lights.

MrBracket screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 05:55 PM
Old 12-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #83
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:

And, the new one I made today. The LED is SUPER BRIGHT! The tail light alone is a huge improvment!

As you can see, the new plate/tail light mount doesn't sit any higher than even the low profile DR350 tail light yet it raises the license plate another few inches over the ProCycle version. Personally I like the look of the ProCycle kit but if you need the extra height, this should work pretty well. I will make a cap off plate for the hole in the rear fender that has a gromet in it for the wiring to pass through. I will also put a trailer light plug in the wiring harness so it's plug and play for adding trailer lights.
Wow...that was friggin' fast!

So, i'm a bit confused. Is the light you're using with it a tail light AND tag light, or just a tag light? It appears to be both, but just want to clarify.

Integrating a plug to add trailer lights is an awesome idea.

Great job!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #84
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow...that was friggin' fast!

So, i'm a bit confused. Is the light you're using with it a tail light AND tag light, or just a tag light? It appears to be both, but just want to clarify.

Integrating a plug to add trailer lights is an awesome idea.

Great job!
The LED light does both. It has RED LED's for Tail and Brake, and it has white LED's that point down and light up the license plate.

In the picture, the old tail light is still in place. I will make a cover plate that covers the hole in the fender after you remove the stock tail light. The cover plate will have a gromet in it to route the wires through to the original wiring. On the bike pictured, his rack does not come back as far as yours or many of the ones I've seen, so I kept the whole assembly low enough to fit below a rack that extends back further.

Yes, the trailer plug will make it much easier to add lights to your trailer.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #85
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbracket View Post
the led light does both. It has red led's for tail and brake, and it has white led's that point down and light up the license plate.

In the picture, the old tail light is still in place. I will make a cover plate that covers the hole in the fender after you remove the stock tail light. The cover plate will have a gromet in it to route the wires through to the original wiring. On the bike pictured, his rack does not come back as far as yours or many of the ones i've seen, so i kept the whole assembly low enough to fit below a rack that extends back further.

Yes, the trailer plug will make it much easier to add lights to your trailer.

in

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #86
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
in
+1
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #87
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
+1
Love your new Avatar Evan!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #88
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I have been fallowing the single wheel thread's since they have started. Love the idea and where your going with this MrBracket ! I am looking to do some trading around on my bikes and then will be interested in ordering one from you, much easer and better than building the one I have been planning.

Any way, looking over your tail light desine I started thinking (danger danger) what if the whole assembly tail light plate every thing could be removed from the back of the bike and located on the back of the trailer. When you get to the camping spot or just want to ride the bike with out the trailer relocate it back to the bike with a couple of pins.
I am not a designer just another guy that is sure enjoying what direction this trailer has taken. I want one !
Just getting a plate and light n the back of the rig might keep the LAW off your back. Here in Texas a motorcycle can have three wheels so putting the bike plate on the back of the trailer should be no problem leagley.

Any way just thoughts had LATE last night.
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #89
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I have to say, if you come up with a hitch design for the BMW single cylinder F650GS/Dakar/G650GS bikes, I would have an awfully hard time not purchasing one of these. I wouldn't need it regularly, but for attending rallies and such it would be perfect.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #90
MrBracket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
I have to say, if you come up with a hitch design for the BMW single cylinder F650GS/Dakar/G650GS bikes, I would have an awfully hard time not purchasing one of these. I wouldn't need it regularly, but for attending rallies and such it would be perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairsmith
I have been fallowing the single wheel thread's since they have started. Love the idea and where your going with this MrBracket ! I am looking to do some trading around on my bikes and then will be interested in ordering one from you, much easer and better than building the one I have been planning.

Any way, looking over your tail light desine I started thinking (danger danger) what if the whole assembly tail light plate every thing could be removed from the back of the bike and located on the back of the trailer. When you get to the camping spot or just want to ride the bike with out the trailer relocate it back to the bike with a couple of pins.
I am not a designer just another guy that is sure enjoying what direction this trailer has taken. I want one !
Just getting a plate and light n the back of the rig might keep the LAW off your back. Here in Texas a motorcycle can have three wheels so putting the bike plate on the back of the trailer should be no problem leagley.

Any way just thoughts had LATE last night.
I'm sure I will come up with a BMW GS hitch at some point, there sure are a lot of them out there!! I need to get a few accesories dialed in first to make the trailer even more useful.

Moving the light and plate back and forth could be a great idea. If someone wanted that as an option I could help make that work for them.