User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
BC61 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
The question of service and spares was asked in another thread, I addressed it there and thought I'd share it here also.

I'm sure everyone will have a different service schedule, mostly based on budget for parts and mechanics.

My plans are oil change, oil filter cleaning and new air filter daily. Tires and mousses will go no more than two days per set, some only one day depending on terrain and conditions. I have three wheel sets, two of the rears have cush drives. The third rear wheel I'll use as a back up or if I know there is lots of sand and no street liasons. Each wheel set is complete with rotors so we should not need to replace any of those as they will be on rotation. Brake pads will be changed on a as needed basis. Chain and rear sporcket should go the distance but we will change on the rest day as a precaution. A fresh engine will go in on rest day and I will have a third "just in case". I also have second set of Ohlins forks and shock that will get exchanged on the rest day.

I will have virtualy a complete bike in spares with me, everything from subframe, swingarm, triple clamp, radiators, cables, throttle body, fuel pump, electrical components to extra nuts and bolts. Hopefully that box never gets opened. I also have extra grips in a few different styles I can change if they get worn out or if it looks like it may be wet.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote