Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 866
Sean heads south

I am SOOOOO jealous!

I could pull a plug on the G/S and probably stay ahead of him...
he armoralled everything, but he doesn't have to worry about shooting off the seat when he whacks the throttle....

Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
Eagle i
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi Sean, Greetings from Ireland. Just came across this thread and looking forward

to your posts.Sounds like a fantastic adventure.

Enjoy the trip and put me on the list to buy you a Guinness when you get back!!
Eagle i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #33
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587

Easter Mekong Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329194

Streets of Vietnam
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335816

Current bike: 2008 Honda CBF-600
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #34
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Adventurer

Hello Sean, My name is Gene, I just discovered your ADVENTURE a few days ago. I also went to the beginning of your adventure on Face Book. At the age of 64, I have never envied anyone in my life, but you have already made an impression on me. Although I live near Boise Idaho, I would have met up with you in Newport Oregon for a day or so, had I found you sooner. I have a brother and a good friend that live there. We would have had a rustic place to stay and free meals for as much time as you had to spare, if only for one night. This next July, one of my Sons, and friend and I will be going to Prudhoe Bay, When we are standing in front of the Arctic Circle sign, I am going to think of you. I'll send you that picture when that happens. I wish you the best of luck on your ADVENTURE, and I'll be watching your progress thru your entire trip. Wish I had met you, Gene

LikeItLoud
-----------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #35
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,409
Great bike. Great ride. Thanks for taking the time and effort to bring us along.

Tim

Yes, please.
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #36
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle i View Post
Hi Sean, Greetings from Ireland. Just came across this thread and looking forward

to your posts.Sounds like a fantastic adventure.

Enjoy the trip and put me on the list to buy you a Guinness when you get back!!
Hey Cheers man... ill hold ya to it... but you better remind me ;-)
HondaVsTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #37
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley

Any advice from anyone, whether its too late in the year to head for Death Valley, South Rim Canyon and Monument Valley?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #38
HondaVsTheWorld OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeItLoud View Post
Hello Sean, My name is Gene, I just discovered your ADVENTURE a few days ago. I also went to the beginning of your adventure on Face Book. At the age of 64, I have never envied anyone in my life, but you have already made an impression on me. Although I live near Boise Idaho, I would have met up with you in Newport Oregon for a day or so, had I found you sooner. I have a brother and a good friend that live there. We would have had a rustic place to stay and free meals for as much time as you had to spare, if only for one night. This next July, one of my Sons, and friend and I will be going to Prudhoe Bay, When we are standing in front of the Arctic Circle sign, I am going to think of you. I'll send you that picture when that happens. I wish you the best of luck on your ADVENTURE, and I'll be watching your progress thru your entire trip. Wish I had met you, Gene

LikeItLoud
-----------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
Hey thanks Gene..!!!!! rustic accommodation is my thing!!!! the odder the better!!!..
Glad you are liking the trip, and shame we could have met for a scoop in Oregon..
all the best wishes from San Francisco!! :-)
and good luck to your journey to Prudoe, take in thre Denali highway and the top of the world if you can!!! enjoy!!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #39
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Great Report

I've day dreamed of riding a small bike on an adventure such as you've undertaken, but for me a small bike would be something like a 250cc! Man, you're a true minimalist! I've enjoyed reading of your progress and wish you continued good luck.
I would most definitely recommend going to Death Valley. It's a special, beautiful part of a beautiful state. The Grand Canyon? NO WAY! It's too late in the year for that. Though the canyon is deep, you must not overlook the fact that the rim is still very high. One of my coldest rides ever was passing through Flagstaff (near the south rim of the Canyon) in late summer. With what appears to be extremes of weather becoming the norm, I'd not venture into higher elevations this late in the year - no matter what bike I was riding.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #40
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Wx Forcast

Is low teens Fahrenheit in Flagstaff, single digits at the canyon... I'd recommend staying at lower elevation...
Even Death Valley is well below freezing. Unless you're prepared for COLD, It's looking for trouble.

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #41
LadyCruiser
www.ridingacross.com

Oddometer: 289
I'm in!!
Good luck
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #42
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Death Valley Weather

Just checked weather.com for D.V. 50-60s f. during the days; a bit below freezing during the night. Nothing surprising there. If you have a decent sleeping bag, you should be fine. I don't know if you have experience in the desert or not, but I'll remind you that the temps drop quickly after sunset in the desert. But if you were able to camp in Alaska, I can't imagine you'll be put off by the weather in Death Valley. Go. It's spectacular.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #43
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaVsTheWorld View Post
Any advice from anyone, whether its too late in the year to head for Death Valley, South Rim Canyon and Monument Valley?
Monument Valley is wide open spaces - if you are going there - stop in at Moab 1st and do Canyon Lands and Arches. Then do the Moki Dugway on the way to Monument. Also there, if adventurous, try the little known Valley of the God's at the bottom of the Moki Dugway. Another good road is HWY 12 from Torrey, UT - but check the weather as one can get snow at altitude around the passes. Most of that area slows or closes after October.

South Rim is second best. North Rim and the Kaibab plateau is the real deal - but closed usually from the middle of October due to snow.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #44
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Hey Sean,
Hope the ride is going well. You can get to Death Valley if you take the Southern approach ... heading down highway 58 to Mojave, then going back North and into the Valley on highway 14. Then down to Ridgecrest, out past Trona, and on to Death Valley. There are several ways to go, that's just one.

Nice this time of year but surrounding mountain passes may be closed due to snow and cold. But then it can warm right up and go into the 80's just like that. Lots and lots to do in Death Valley if you look around ... but bring your own food ... and out of Pay camp grounds. This is no problem.

I was wondering if you are fast enough to legally travel on Freeways? California used to have (may still have) a CC limit for Freeway riding on a bike.
I guess there are alternate routes but must be tough in some places as seems sometimes the ONLY road is a freeway or fast highway. I hope you can do at least 50 mph or CHP might have a word.

In California check out the G roads. These are county Farm roads that often will get you were you need to go.

Once you cross that border you will be fine ... nice and warm and a pace much more to your liking. Do be careful on some of the narrow Baja roads and crazy truck drivers. Watch your mirrors. But I'm sure you know all this by now. Great little bike, I love it.

I rode Honda 50's and 90's in the early 60's. Then, in around '65 rode a CL175 Honda all over Northern Baja on a Surf trip. Great memories. I now have a DR650 ... just returned from Mexico. It's very empty. Kind of nice actually ... and not nearly as dangerous now. They are getting things under control ... a bit. Don't sniff Coke or smoke pot with guys in $50,000 pick up trucks wearing snake skin boots! (Narcos ... but sometimes they INSIST!)

Safe riding y Suerte!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #45
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,628
Sean - are you still out there?

How about an update?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote