Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Damifino
Damn if I know

Oddometer: 620
So how is the Ohlins? I have a new to me 86 R80RT, the rear shock is as squishy as Kirstie Alley's backside.
I can get a Progressive shock for $367 or an Ohlins for $845, is the Ohlins worth that much more?

Let me hear it!
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
jdiaz OP

Oddometer: 31,932
Check the Dan Kyle ohlins group buy in Vendors.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
Damifino
Damn if I know

Ok, can get it cheaper through him, but again, is the Ohlins that much better than the Progressive?

Thanks for the group buy tip!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damifino View Post
Ok, can get it cheaper through him, but again, is the Ohlins that much better than the Progressive?

Thanks for the group buy tip!
The Ohlins is really that much better than the Progressive. Progressive's are (IMHO) cheao junk that owners love when replacing clapped-out stockers.. but cheap junk in the end (sorry Prog. owners).

I've had stock, Works and then finally Ohlins on my last two bikes... the Ohlins are really that good.

Now if you are someone who doesn't like to mess around with stock settings (bgoodsoil for example ) you can easily tune the shock to have a horrible ride.. that said you can tune it right back to great ride as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #20
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
what solo said,

the ohlins is very good. adjustment is key to a fantastic precision delivery. there are other good one's hagon, wilber, WP, works. IMHO progressive is ok. Ohlins is best.
98 vtr1000 superhawk (fun)sold
2xdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,580
Does anybody run Penske's? I guess they make shocks for our bikes. I doubt if they make one for Mono's? I have checked them out on a couple of friends race bikes and I thought they separated the adjustments like no other shock I had ever messed with. It's been a while and I have only been close up messing with one once but . . . . I see them on a lot of race bikes.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #22
jdiaz OP

Oddometer: 31,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Does anybody run Penske's? I guess they make shocks for our bikes. I doubt if they make one for Mono's? I have checked them out on a couple of friends race bikes and I thought they separated the adjustments like no other shock I had ever messed with. It's been a while and I have only been close up messing with one once but . . . . I see them on a lot of race bikes.
I had Penske make a custom set for an R1100RT back in 1996. These were still the days when you called the Pennsylvania office and actually spoke to the guy who was building your stuff. They gave up on BMW applicatons for awhile after working with me.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
Damifino
Damn if I know

Ok, I have my choice of two different Ohlins models, the cheaper one has a only rebound adjust, the more expensive has both rebound and compression and a remote reservoir, there is about a $200 difference on price. Anyone have the cheaper one? Any buyers remorse in not buying the expensive one?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Ok, I have my choice of two different Ohlins models, the cheaper one has a only rebound adjust, the more expensive has both rebound and compression and a remote reservoir, there is about a $200 difference on price. Anyone have the cheaper one? Any buyers remorse in not buying the expensive one?
The remote preload is really nice when going from solo to solo=bags, or two-up.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,580
I would have to mess with an Ohlins a bit on a friends bike. It all depends if the compression damper adjustment does anything at all or if it simply does just about what the rebound adjuster does per one person's post here. If I found that to be the case by testing one, why pay two hundred dollars for another mislabeled clicker that does the same thing that the other clicker does? I have seen worse, I have seen shocks that have a compression damper adjustment that does nothing as have many others that I talk to! I don't even have to ride the bike. Just bounce it and you can tell. When your done, click it back to where you found it.

I would also ask someone that understands how they work if the compression adjuster will adjust only more compression damping than the one without the adjuster or more AND less. This is an important question for me because I personally like less compression damping than a lot of people run. IMO, cranking in more on a dirt bike can be a big setup aid but I don't see much use for much of it on the street or road course. To some small degree, of course, but too much is too much. On other words, if the clicker only adjusts more damping in, I very well might want less to start with so why pay for the clicker IF it even works in a direction that I don't want to go.

I want to clarify why I don't see much use for much compression damping on our boxers. IF (and that is a BIG if!) I didn't have to deal with very limited cornering clearance, I might run a softer spring with more sag and rely on both high and low speed compression damping adjustments to take over what might otherwise be the springs job so I could take advantage of that softer spring while leaned way over and while dealing with very subtle bumps. . . . But that isn't the case! I need very little sag to keep the cylinders off the tarmac! With that little sag, I don't need much compression damping! Between the lack of cornering clearance and the drive shaft effect, our bikes work best with an odd setup.

supershaft screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 02:16 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #26
Damifino
Damn if I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
The remote preload is really nice when going from solo to solo=bags, or two-up.
I don't think it has remote preload, just a remote reservoir.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
I don't think it has remote preload, just a remote reservoir.
OK, never mind . I would say that I can tell the difference when I change the comp and rebound damping by two or three clicks on the Ohlins on my G/S... both are accessible while riding and I have changed them "on the fly"..

Quote:
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Going to put a little bump on this thread.

I am looking at the Ohlins for my Monoshock. How do you guys like them? I'm looking at these or the Wilbers.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote