ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
DirtRoad2010 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 64
WV: Highland Scenic Highway

Is anyone familiar with this road during the winter? Apparently there's signs when there is snow saying that the road is not plowed. You are allowed to use the road at your own risk though. Its a 43 mile paved road that goes from elevations of 2,325 feet to over 4,500 feet. It is supposedly the highest major roadway in West Virginia. The only info I found online about Motor Vehicles on it in the winter was a few youtube videos.

Link to more info
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mnf/r...7011&actid=105

map
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5066342.pdf
DirtRoad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,270
It is not maintained. There are a group that try to take large 4x4s across it usually about the first of the year. Most of the time they don't make it all the way across. There was snow along side the road when I went across it the first of Oct.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06DR650
13 GasGas EC300 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoad2010 View Post
Is anyone familiar with this road during the winter? Apparently there's signs when there is snow saying that the road is not plowed. You are allowed to use the road at your own risk though. Its a 43 mile paved road that goes from elevations of 2,325 feet to over 4,500 feet. It is supposedly the highest major roadway in West Virginia. The only info I found online about Motor Vehicles on it in the winter was a few youtube videos.

Link to more info
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mnf/r...7011&actid=105

map
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5066342.pdf
That will be similar to the road over Dolly Sods...possibly impassable in the winter..
Quote:
The Parkway is not maintained for winter travel, but the unplowed road offers people on snowmobiles and cross country skis a special ribbon of winter fun!
http://www.pocahontascountywv.com/hi...c_highway.aspx

Got a snow mobile?
If it's open there is a campground, Tea Creek, just off the parkway at about the halfway point. Unfortunately they are closed from Dec. 15th to March 15th, and probably for good reason(lots of snow). The campground is on another road that I'm sure never sees a snow plow.

http://www.wvcommerce.org/travel/tra...4/default.aspx

Probably not the info you were seeking...
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
DirtRoad2010 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
It is not maintained. There are a group that try to take large 4x4s across it usually about the first of the year. Most of the time they don't make it all the way across. There was snow along side the road when I went across it the first of Oct.
Do you know where I can find info on this group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
That will be similar to the road over Dolly Sods...possibly impassable in the winter..


http://www.pocahontascountywv.com/hi...c_highway.aspx

Got a snow mobile?
If it's open there is a campground, Tea Creek, just off the parkway at about the halfway point. Unfortunately they are closed from Dec. 15th to March 15th, and probably for good reason(lots of snow). The campground is on another road that I'm sure never sees a snow plow.

http://www.wvcommerce.org/travel/tra...4/default.aspx

Probably not the info you were seeking...
I don't have a snowmobile.
DirtRoad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rider_WV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Leon, WV
Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoad2010 View Post
Do you know where I can find info on this group?



I don't have a snowmobile.
check on jeepinwv.com or mountaineeroffroad.com

there are usually a couple of groups that try to cross the scenic highway in the winter. usually in very built rigs, 35-40" tires. Sometimes they make it sometimes they dont. The bear hunters will keep a good path blazed until hunting season is over.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
DirtRoad2010 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
check on jeepinwv.com or mountaineeroffroad.com

there are usually a couple of groups that try to cross the scenic highway in the winter. usually in very built rigs, 35-40" tires. Sometimes they make it sometimes they dont. The bear hunters will keep a good path blazed until hunting season is over.
Thanks for the info.
DirtRoad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
DirtRoad2010 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 64
Anyone taking there bike across the highway this winter?
DirtRoad2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014