ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
upon the pale horse OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Maryland Safety Inspection

I know that the Maryland Safety Inspection requires:

Steering system
Frame
Brake system
Wheels / tires
Fuel system
Exhaust system
Lights
Electrical system
Mirrors
Windshield
Passenger items (hand hold and foot rest)
Body items (seat, engine mounts, stand, chain and guard, fenders)
Speedometer / odometer

My question is if you buy a ex500 that doesn't have fairings, windshield, etc... do you have to replace those before you get it inspected? What condition must the motorcycle be in to pass?

Thanks ahead.
upon the pale horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,142
A formally faired bike will maybe pass without the fairing and shield, but you need a working headlight, turn signals, and mirrows. If there is stuff falling off or not secured properly, it will probably fail. It also depends on if you get a nit-picky inspector.

MD vehicle inspection is basically common sense. They don't take anything apart, it is mostly a visual inspection. If you take a POS in to have it inspected, it will probably fail.

I can probably tell if it will pass if I see it. Got Pics?

I know a bike guy near me that is an authorized MD inspector. Fill out your profile so we know where you are located.

If it fails the first inspection, you'll have a list of what's wrong, and 30 days to re-inspect for no charge.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
Not really "taken apart" but the brake pads need to be taken out and the thickness measured.

Probably the most directly applicable to your post is to make sure there is nothing ragged that may be construed as a threat to snag. When I first went to inspection with a Triumph I had side panels off and the inspector got me for the steel mounts sticking out.

The next would be to make sure that all the reflectors are in place. You can get away with using bicycle reflectors or even reflective tape of the right colors if in a pinch.

One thing the inspections regularly gig is holding the throttle open (engine off), turning the bars fully to one side and letting go of the throttle. If it doesn't snap back to neutral is a failure. Repeat to the other side.

I've had a failure for a loose chain.

Another biggie on higher mileage/older bikes is checking for play in the steering head bearings.

Wreckchecker screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 03:55 AM
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote