Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porrick View Post
Well, after a three week wait, I finally got my DDM single bulb high/low HID kit. I was a little nervous when I saw on the tracking info that t was drop-shipped from China, but the price was great and it seems that Adv Grifter and others were able to make this work. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm so lucky.....

The box arrived looking like it had been stomped, but when I opened it, all the parts seemed to be in tact. In fact, there seemed to be too many parts, as it has a harness that is clearly made for a car (with a long extension holding a second bulb/switching connection) and a massive relay that everything feeds into. I am guessing that this is needed to control the high/low function? But it doesn't appear in Adv Grifter's writeup of the high/low install, so maybe it is for something else?? Also, the bulb I received has a metal shield around it that is removable, but the three mounting tabs come off with the shield, so not sure what to do about this. Of course, there were no directions/part list/warranty in the box, and the .pdf help files on the DDM site only show an H4 car installation.. I tried calling DDM, but got on hold and then a guy got on and told me they'd call me in three hours (they didn't).....

So, since it was only $40, I am gonna try to chop this harness up and reassemble to make it work, but I need to identify the parts to determine what needs to stay.

Here's what I need to know (at this point):

1) I can easily get into the relay connection and remove the extra harness length by pulling the connectors. Will this cause problems?

2) There is a wire with small plug that comes from the relay that I can't identify and is not mentioned in any of the write-ups -- could this be power/ground for the relay??

3a) Why does this harness need it's own rely? Can I cut it out and use the stock headlight relayed and connected high/low switch?

3b) I know that there is a magnet that moves the single bulb in/out base on high/low setting and I assume this needs power, will the stock switch provide this, or can I tap into the bike's harness to get it?

It sure would be nice to pare this HID harness down to what is necessary and reduce the amount of crap I have to mount behind my dash...

Any/all information (or even edu-macated guesses) would be appreciated.

TIA,

Porrick
This is exactly why I sent back my Hi/LO kit. Too much wire, too much to do. It requires running wires to the battery ... and more.

This is why I went with the single bulb Lo only kit. So simple and easy to install. DDM Tuning were good about taking back the Hi/Lo kit and sent out the Lo only kit in a day from SoCal.

I posted about this somewhere ... but not in my install. I could not figure out the Hi/Kit at all ... didn't even try. Just sent it back. The Lo only kit is a breeze to do.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote