Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #46
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porrick View Post
Well, after a three week wait, I finally got my DDM single bulb high/low HID kit. I was a little nervous when I saw on the tracking info that t was drop-shipped from China, but the price was great and it seems that Adv Grifter and others were able to make this work. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm so lucky.....

The box arrived looking like it had been stomped, but when I opened it, all the parts seemed to be in tact. In fact, there seemed to be too many parts, as it has a harness that is clearly made for a car (with a long extension holding a second bulb/switching connection) and a massive relay that everything feeds into. I am guessing that this is needed to control the high/low function? But it doesn't appear in Adv Grifter's writeup of the high/low install, so maybe it is for something else?? Also, the bulb I received has a metal shield around it that is removable, but the three mounting tabs come off with the shield, so not sure what to do about this. Of course, there were no directions/part list/warranty in the box, and the .pdf help files on the DDM site only show an H4 car installation.. I tried calling DDM, but got on hold and then a guy got on and told me they'd call me in three hours (they didn't).....

So, since it was only $40, I am gonna try to chop this harness up and reassemble to make it work, but I need to identify the parts to determine what needs to stay.

Here's what I need to know (at this point):

1) I can easily get into the relay connection and remove the extra harness length by pulling the connectors. Will this cause problems?

2) There is a wire with small plug that comes from the relay that I can't identify and is not mentioned in any of the write-ups -- could this be power/ground for the relay??

3a) Why does this harness need it's own rely? Can I cut it out and use the stock headlight relayed and connected high/low switch?

3b) I know that there is a magnet that moves the single bulb in/out base on high/low setting and I assume this needs power, will the stock switch provide this, or can I tap into the bike's harness to get it?

It sure would be nice to pare this HID harness down to what is necessary and reduce the amount of crap I have to mount behind my dash...

Any/all information (or even edu-macated guesses) would be appreciated.

TIA,

Porrick
This is exactly why I sent back my Hi/LO kit. Too much wire, too much to do. It requires running wires to the battery ... and more.

This is why I went with the single bulb Lo only kit. So simple and easy to install. DDM Tuning were good about taking back the Hi/Lo kit and sent out the Lo only kit in a day from SoCal.

I posted about this somewhere ... but not in my install. I could not figure out the Hi/Kit at all ... didn't even try. Just sent it back. The Lo only kit is a breeze to do.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #47
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Well, after a three week wait, I finally got my DDM single bulb high/low HID kit. I was a little nervous when I saw on the tracking info that t was drop-shipped from China, but the price was great and it seems that Adv Grifter and others were able to make this work. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm so lucky.....

The box arrived looking like it had been stomped, but when I opened it, all the parts seemed to be in tact. In fact, there seemed to be too many parts, as it has a harness that is clearly made for a car (with a long extension holding a second bulb/switching connection) and a massive relay that everything feeds into. I am guessing that this is needed to control the high/low function? But it doesn't appear in Adv Grifter's writeup of the high/low install, so maybe it is for something else?? Also, the bulb I received has a metal shield around it that is removable, but the three mounting tabs come off with the shield, so not sure what to do about this. Of course, there were no directions/part list/warranty in the box, and the .pdf help files on the DDM site only show an H4 car installation.. I tried calling DDM, but got on hold and then a guy got on and told me they'd call me in three hours (they didn't).....

So, since it was only $40, I am gonna try to chop this harness up and reassemble to make it work, but I need to identify the parts to determine what needs to stay.

Here's what I need to know (at this point):

1) I can easily get into the relay connection and remove the extra harness length by pulling the connectors. Will this cause problems?

2) There is a wire with small plug that comes from the relay that I can't identify and is not mentioned in any of the write-ups -- could this be power/ground for the relay??

3a) Why does this harness need it's own rely? Can I cut it out and use the stock headlight relayed and connected high/low switch?

3b) I know that there is a magnet that moves the single bulb in/out base on high/low setting and I assume this needs power, will the stock switch provide this, or can I tap into the bike's harness to get it?

It sure would be nice to pare this HID harness down to what is necessary and reduce the amount of crap I have to mount behind my dash...

Any/all information (or even edu-macated guesses) would be appreciated.

TIA,

Porrick
I too have ordered this kit from DDM, I have experienced what you have before with the shipping being rough looking and no paperwork inside. Not even a thank you for your business card. But anyway I've done a kit to my car and it was easy plug and play, but I hope this kit for the DR650 is easy. I'm pretty good with this sort of stuff, and if I ever get it I will post what I did. I am curious as to what you are going to do, and would like to hear about it. I don't think shortening the harness will alter the way it runs. (sometimes things are sensitive to resistance changes)

Thanks
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #48
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
I too have ordered this kit from DDM, I have experienced what you have before with the shipping being rough looking and no paperwork inside. Not even a thank you for your business card. But anyway I've done a kit to my car and it was easy plug and play, but I hope this kit for the DR650 is easy. I'm pretty good with this sort of stuff, and if I ever get it I will post what I did. I am curious as to what you are going to do, and would like to hear about it. I don't think shortening the harness will alter the way it runs. (sometimes things are sensitive to resistance changes)

Thanks
Aerocycle,

I've now read that others that got a double bulb harness just cut and taped up the long leads without any trouble, so I will remove them from the relay as that is cleaner. As for that huge relay (it's quite a bit bigger than the igniter box), I haven't found a way to remove it and do the high/low switching with the stock setup, but I will keep looking.

Think I'll start by taking out the long leads and then hook up the light to see if I can make it work (with relay still attached). If it does, maybe I'll just shoehorn the damn thing in and call it done......

Or maybe I'll just return the HID to DDM and score an e-bay Buell dual headlight and just run two H4s with a home-built relay to get max power. I also have the fiberglass part of a Lynx faring collecting dust in my shop, so that's also a possibility (though I understand the Lynx windscreens have major buffeting issues ....

At least there are plenty of options.

Porrick
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #49
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I'm fixing to convert to HID. I figure the 35 watt single version would be best. No moving parts, less to go wrong.

I wonder how durable the hi/lo beam version will be on a thumper? The 35 watt version is plenty bright to me anyway....

I'll find out soon.

The DR650 would not support dual H4's for long! The whole point of HID is the lower power use. I need more juice for me jacket liner yall....
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #50
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The DR650 would not support dual H4's for long!
That's only 70W.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #51
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
That's only 70W.
Is it? I think he means incandescent H4's, that would be 110w total.... 70w for dual Hid...
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #52
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

I think that many of the Buell/DR setups just run a 35w low on one side and a 55w high on the other --and they are on separately. This still gives better light than the stock DR light for whatever reason.

The Buell lights can also be rigged to have both bulbs activated when the high switch is activated, but I agree, this would probably not be so great on a DR if you are running other accessories that need juice (like Gerbings).
Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #53
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The DR650 would not support dual H4's for long! The whole point of HID is the lower power use. I need more juice for me jacket liner yall....
I think you'll like it. The HID ... even just the single bulb ... makes a huge difference on the road. Don't go too Blue, warmer temp is better, IMO.

The elec. power bonus means both my 77 watt Gerbing and 30 watt Symtec grips both work better than before .... and so far ... no dead battery running with everything on.

On long, multi-day rides, during the day ... when it's really cold ... I still switch off my headlight just to allow a margin of safety ... or at least in the last 20 minutes of my ride. (to allow battery to re-charge to 100%)

I did this all through Mexico in unseasonably COLD weather and worked a treat. And all this with an OLD battery that is in need of replacement. (3 years old)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #54
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I think you'll like it. The HID ... even just the single bulb ... makes a huge difference on the road. Don't go too Blue, warmer temp is better, IMO.

The elec. power bonus means both my 77 watt Gerbing and 30 watt Symtec grips both work better than before .... and so far ... no dead battery running with everything on.

On long, multi-day rides, during the day ... when it's really cold ... I still switch off my headlight just to allow a margin of safety ... or at least in the last 20 minutes of my ride. (to allow battery to re-charge to 100%)

I did this all through Mexico in unseasonably COLD weather and worked a treat. And all this with an OLD battery that is in need of replacement. (3 years old)
AdvGrifter,

So are you running the high/low setup with the big relay box? If so, any advice on mounting and/or wiring the relay would be very much appreciated. I agree about temp --I went with the 4500, which I think is the warmest option. Hopefully I can get this up and running in the next couple of days...

Porrick
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #55
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
AdvGrifter,

So are you running the high/low setup with the big relay box? If so, any advice on mounting and/or wiring the relay would be very much appreciated. I agree about temp --I went with the 4500, which I think is the warmest option. Hopefully I can get this up and running in the next couple of days...

Porrick
No ... NOT the high Low kit , just the single bulb, low only kit. No relay. Check out my install thread. It's all there. So simple. Less than an hour to do whole install. Link to my install is listed earlier in this thread. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #56
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
No ... NOT the high Low kit , just the single bulb, low only kit. No relay. Check out my install thread. It's all there. So simple. Less than an hour to do whole install. Link to my install is listed earlier in this thread. Good luck.
AdvGrifter,

Hmm, I thought I saw your thread, but somehow I got the (wrong) impression that it was a high/low setup. I guess this explains why I was so confused. Wow, reading IS fundamental....

So I assume that you lose the high beam with this kit, but that the additional HID lumens make it a non-issue, yes? Anyway, excuse my density and thanks for the writeup and pics.

Porrick
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #57
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
AdvGrifter,

Hmm, I thought I saw your thread, but somehow I got the (wrong) impression that it was a high/low setup. I guess this explains why I was so confused. Wow, reading IS fundamental....

So I assume that you lose the high beam with this kit, but that the additional HID lumens make it a non-issue, yes? Anyway, excuse my density and thanks for the writeup and pics.

Porrick
Yes ... it's well worth it for the added Lumens. Really makes it work for me.
I don't ride all that much at night but the few times I ended up late and coming home on twisty back road ... the stock DR650 headlight is down right deadly. Now ... I do pretty well and can run my Gerbing at 100% too.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #58
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Is it? I think he means incandescent H4's, that would be 110w total.... 70w for dual Hid...
I ran an additional 50w for 6 months with no issues.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #59
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Yeah, I want the extra power for my jacket liner. I usually just run it on a low setting, same with the symtec grips.

I've been running with a kill switch for the head light during the day using the jacket liner on slow dirt roads with no issues. But, the days are short and I need more light anyway.

Looking at DDM, I get a $40 shipping charge for a single 35 watt kit? Some thing ain't right... I'm tempted to try Procycle's offering too, but its a dual out put type. Then there is always ebay...
Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #60
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:

Yep, the H4 bulbs pull 55/60 in stock form. I don't see the point of running dual lights and just running one. If its a 35 watt and a 55 watt dual, your still killing the battery on high beam. With both on high were talking 120 watts with two standard H4s. With the "off road" H4 bulbs we are at 55/100 or 80/110 etc..

The 35 watt HID will give about 20 watts up to power heated grips hopefully leaving a surplus of a conservative 70 watts for a jacket liner and a GPS....

The bike does not put out full power at low speeds either. I only need a heated jacket when I'm on pavement anyway, its the cold wind that gets me...

sagedrifter screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 02:47 PM