User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #31
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,492
Bruton Speaks.......

LAS VEGAS -- Track owner Bruton Smith said Wednesday he expects the IndyCar Series to honor its contract with Las Vegas Motor Speedway and return to the track in 2012.

Smith, owner of Speedway Motorsports Inc., has two years remaining on his contract to hold the IndyCar season finale at Las Vegas. IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard has yet to announce the 2012 schedule, and is awaiting the results of the investigation into Dan Wheldon's fatal accident at Las Vegas to decide if the series can continue to run on high-banked ovals.

"We have two years left on that contract and I expect Randy to honor it," said Smith, who leased the property to IndyCar in a three-year contract.

Smith also said he wants IndyCar back at Texas Motor Speedway, one of the most popular venues in the series. IndyCar has not completed its sanctioning agreement with Texas, and potentially could drop both Las Vegas and Texas from the schedule over concerns of racing on high-banked ovals.

At a NASCAR event in downtown Las Vegas, Smith was critical of Bernard's indecision and called on the CEO to honor his agreements with Speedway Motorsports Inc.

"I like Randy a lot, but he listens to too many people," Smith said. "He's listening to people who don't know a damn thing about speedways and there's no reason in the world he should not be back at Las Vegas and Texas next year."

Wheldon, a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, was killed in the Oct. 16 season finale at Las Vegas in a fiery 15-car accident.

Since the accident, critics have complained IndyCar is not suited for high-banked ovals and there have been calls for the series to abandon the tracks. The Las Vegas race has been scrutinized over the high speeds, the crowded 34-car field and a varied experience level on ovals among the drivers as contributors to the accident.

Now Texas has fallen under scrutiny, even though the facility has hosted a race every year since 1997. The track last season split its 500-mile race into a pair of 250-milers in a trumpeted twinbill.

"There's never been a problem at Texas. Never, ever, ever," Smith said. "I have no idea why all of a sudden Texas would be considered not suitable for IndyCar."

Meanwhile, Smith said he has verbally requested a second race at Las Vegas from NASCAR chairman Brian France and plans to put it in writing for the 2013 season. Smith has long wanted two races for Las Vegas, and has called on NASCAR to move its season finale from Homestead-Miami Speedway to his property.

"It would be for the good of the sport for the season to end at Las Vegas and everybody knows that," Smith said. "Everybody wants to be in Las Vegas. That's not a secret to anyone and NASCAR should do the right thing and move that finale here."

Smith successfully lobbied NASCAR to move its season-ending awards ceremony from New York to Las Vegas three years ago, and LVMS officials hosted Wednesday's event -- a version of "The Newlywed Game" with host Bob Eubanks and the 12 Chase drivers -- in downtown Las Vegas.

The awards ceremony is Friday night at the Wynn Las Vegas Resort.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #32
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
- Track owner Bruton Smith said -
"There's never been a problem at Texas. Never, ever, ever," Smith said. "I have no idea why all of a sudden Texas would be considered not suitable for IndyCar."
Maybe he forgot about Kenny Brack?
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #33
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
Maybe he forgot about Kenny Brack?
Add Davey Hamilton to that list of non events.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #34
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,032
I don't know if I missed it previously, but I just read this morning that Dan Weldon had signed a deal with Andretti and GoDaddy for 2012 just hours before the Vegas race.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #35
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I don't know if I missed it previously, but I just read this morning that Dan Weldon had signed a deal with Andretti and GoDaddy for 2012 just hours before the Vegas race.
That is news to me, so I missed it too if it was announced. I know they had been talking, but did not know it was a signed deal. That is really not something that they would probably talk about though after the tragedy. I kind of question that though, the Go Daddy people were pretty adamant that NASCAR is where they are getting a return on investment. I am not sure if that was just a dig at the establishment or they truly feel that way. From an exposure standpoint, that is a no brainer. Most racing fans are pretty good about supporting those who help fund the sport though. NASCAR fans are known to be the best at it by most marketing dept. analysis.

Do you have a source for that RR?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #36
RedRocket

Quote:

I tried to find it but couldn't. When I searched I found lots of rumors so maybe what I read was true, or maybe it was a rumor that was spoken as true.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #37
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,290
I'd read the same thing. Apparently they were close but perhaps he hadn't actually signed?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111014/IRL/111019916

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #38
RedRocket

Quote:

Car & Driver, Feb 2012. A Steven Cole Smith article.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Car & Driver, Feb 2012. A Steven Cole Smith article.

Of course, since I get Motor Trend. I'll try to hunt it up when the trucks are in.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,190
I find it surprising that there has been no mention here of Beaux Barfield hire by Indycar.

Should be a positive for the series and, having got to know him via S.C.C.A. racing back in the '90s, he has plenty to offer. IMO, a genuine good guy.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I find it surprising that there has been no mention here of Beaux Barfield hire by Indycar.

Should be a positive for the series and, having got to know him via S.C.C.A. racing back in the '90s, he has plenty to offer. IMO, a genuine good guy.
First thing he said was "eliminate the white line down the middle." Love him.

He's going to allow shades of grey, something that gave Barnhart the shingles. He's putting a lot of pressure on himself, though. Those nasty little street courses are demolition derbies and the drivers don't seem to be able to stop themselves from being stupid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #42
shrineclown OP
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post

Been occupied and.....

I'm still thinking...............may be a good thing.

I am just glad it was not TC, who I feared it would be. I was kind of hoping for Wally D. Jr.

I am hopeful about Beaux.

Waxy is right....with these moronic street courses this can turn into a nightmare in a hurry.

Good luck Beaux, you are going to need it.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #43
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 828
More awesome from the league....

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ell-to-tgbb/P1
Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #44
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
Quote:
I do not know anyone who has worked with him personally. But having listened to him on the radio often, I think he may be difficult to get along with. That is a hard pressed balance to be self confident enough to be a great driver, and humble enough to be nice to the people who probably matter most to you, your crew. It seems in Europe they kind of expect and accept their drivers being aloof, or self involved. In the US, you have a hard time finding a seat. I think that is where he may be....trying to find his equilibrium on this side.
I'm thinking it is more of a sponsorship issue. You can't tell me Robbie Gordon is easier to get along with.

A lot of drivers, top drivers, are struggling to get top rides and drives due to lack of funding. Autosport, iirc, this month has a good article on the paying drivers and how they are becoming more of a threat for traditionally non-paying more talented drivers who have lost sponsorship funding.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #45
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Rubens Barrichello tests DW-12 for KV Racing

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote