User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
mtothef OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
bultaco metralla, what would you pay?

Now that the garage full of Yamaha thumpers is relatively stable, I'm feeling the itch for an old two stroke street bike. There are a few different RD350, R5, DS7 options kicking around my locale at the moment in various states of degradation. But for reasons that are probably best left unexplored, I have a real hankering for a Bultaco Metralla.

There's a mk8 200 for sale on the local craigslist, running, ratty, mostly together. Dude is asking $3300 for it. That seems steep, but then again this is one of the first gen Metrallas, and therefore might somehow be more valuable in some eyes. There are also scads of Bultaco dirt bikes from the 70s around, and the trend seems to be that Pursangs fetch a lot of coin, Alpinas don't, and Matadors tend to vary greatly depending on condition and state of delusion on the seller's part. But info about Metrallas, and what they may or may not be worth, seems scarce.

For my part, I am not concerned about collectibility. I want a small-bore two stroke street bike, totally happy doing a frame up rebuild if need be, but intend to have a bike to ride as opposed to show. But I haven't really been paying attention to the old bike market aside from occasionally gasping in pain when I see shitty old motocross bikes being flogged for $4k on craigslist, and Metrallas aren't too common around here, so I don't know what the general range of worth might be.

What words of wisdom do the sage heads here have on the subject? What should a mid-California grease monkey expect to fork over for his next mid-life crisis aversion project?
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Talking

Metralla's are not cheap...anywhere. If they are equipped with an "America" kit, the price goes even higher.

The more complete the better. And verify the M numbers on frame and engine are real live Metralla M numbers before you fork over your coin. There are similar models using similar engines/frames that people are flogging as Metralla's.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
I did the curious about Metralla shopping in the very early 90's, and like you, in the general bay area. Good, running, original, clean ones, the few I came across were in the $4000 range. (A couple were for sale at Sears point classic shows/races). Those are 20 year old prices, so I am not sure what additive there might be.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Man, who wouldn't pay over 3k for such a beautiful machine:

1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
A Bultaco Metralla Kit American, from the 60 to 70's complete, is around 5,000 - 6,000 up to 7,500 € here,
(depending the overall status of the bike).

Newer models in decent status from around 3,000 to 5.000 € in their homeland, (Spain).

Replicas made out of Metralla engine and Mercurio frames are around 2,500 €.

So 3,300 $ sounds good, but have some personal problems with Metralla and MK8, which year is the Bul made?
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
What's the American kit? My friend has an original condition Metralla with stock bars and factory clip-ons that are in the original box. It's a sweet bike.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,283
dammit people, stop with the Bultaco threads until I get money

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
mtothef OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks

good input, people. thanks for the perspective.

pschrauber, my apologies. not a mk8, i meant to type model 8. 200cc 4 speed, do not know the year, it is missing side panels and the tank has a questionable repaint, but if i was to guess, i would think it is 1965. will know more after i talk some with the seller...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Metralla are so rare that you will be paying plenty if you can find one (unless you mow the lawn for a senile grandma with one in the garage under an old blanket).

If you just want to buzz around on a 2 stroke for cheap thrills, prowl CL and go Japanese.

I love the smell of race gas in the morning, it's like... VICTORY!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
mtothef OP
Gnarly Adventurer

now where's the fun in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
If you just want to buzz around on a 2 stroke for cheap thrills, prowl CL and go Japanese.
you are assuming that i possess common sense.

okay, talked a bit with the owner - no paperwork at all, bike runs, rims are straight, everything works, tank is straight but has had a later model gas cap welded into place, might be slightly negotiable on price, but is unwilling to talk much on the phone.

hmmm...

http://images.craigslist.org/5Q45W45...0cec111010.jpg
Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef View Post
you are assuming that i possess common sense.

okay, talked a bit with the owner - no paperwork at all, bike runs, rims are straight, everything works, tank is straight but has had a later model gas cap welded into place, might be slightly negotiable on price, but is unwilling to talk much on the phone.

hmmm...

http://images.craigslist.org/5Q45W45...0cec111010.jpg
Looked at the ad....go buy it because this is the LAST time you'll see one for that price that isn't totally hashed out. Even if you have to flip it after some TLC you'll make money.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Looked at the ad....go buy it because this is the LAST time you'll see one for that price that isn't totally hashed out. Even if you have to flip it after some TLC you'll make money.

or you could ride it around, and fall in love with it. i was working on one for a friend, got it running, went for a spin, the instant i got off the bike, i called and asked him if he would like to sell it. they ride NICE.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post

or you could ride it around, and fall in love with it. i was working on one for a friend, got it running, went for a spin, the instant i got off the bike, i called and asked him if he would like to sell it. they ride NICE.
Of course that IS what is going to happen.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
plus it's got spain's version of oil injection
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
mtothef OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
i was afraid someone would come along and say that.