Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
rgears OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Oh yeah, way ahead of you there Wire. Gauge was already in place of sensor.
So tried my experiment, yeah, nada. Or at least noting on the gauge. I'll check the oil canister before I start the tear down for Vaseline globs.

So as soon I get time this week, I will start pulling it all apart again and track problems...
'82 CB750
'70 CL90 - Alive once more!
rgears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrench
'shaft, I fill the galleries with oil with an oil-fashioned pump gun via a gauge adapter. The idea here is to fill the oiling system. Even just filling the oil filter cannister should result in getting oil pressure fairly quickly.
You mean like an auto-parts store oiler, little thumb-action pump, flexible spout, holds maybe a pint or so? I need an oil can for the shop, and I might as well get something that'll do the pre-oil duty, too.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
That's it. Mine's a bit lower-tech than yours.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
rgears OP
Adventurer

PRESSURE! We have pressure! So I pulled the engine, stripped the timing cover, chain and pistons to try shaft's idea of spinning up the camshaft via socket and drill. After a few seconds at my best guess of 900 rpms, the gauge suddenly registered a good 40 - 50 psi. I let it sit for a few, tried again, wouldn't get pressure. Sit again, try again, immediate pressure. So at this point, my best guess is that overall, this thing is just being a general PITA the get going. But once primed properly, we're good to go.
However, just to make sure, I did pull the crank to check the forward bearing carrier. Everything is aligned and flowing properly.
So a this point, I ordered a few replacement bolts and such from Maxbmw just to make sure we're good on stretched flywheel bolts and piston clips, but I think I can just about call this sorted.
While I did not quite register oil at the rocker oil ports, I can only say that I did not quite reach pressure with my drill, but plenty coming through the mains and into the conrods.

While I am still going to take this slow and I am working on a temporary mount for my pressure gauge, I think the problem was a case of PITA priming. Maybe it was slightly too cold, maybe there was an air bubble that just wouldn't let go. I just don't know. Very strange, but I will keep a close eye on it. Hell, at least now I know how to test the pump and system before putting the whole thing back together!

I hope this is the last bit to get me on the road for at least a few weeks before the ice hits, but thanks again for everyone's input on this. I greatly appreciate it.
'82 CB750
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
Well done!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgears View Post
PRESSURE! We have pressure! So I pulled the engine, stripped the timing cover, chain and pistons to try shaft's idea of spinning up the camshaft via socket and drill. After a few seconds at my best guess of 900 rpms, the gauge suddenly registered a good 40 - 50 psi. I let it sit for a few, tried again, wouldn't get pressure. Sit again, try again, immediate pressure. So at this point, my best guess is that overall, this thing is just being a general PITA the get going. But once primed properly, we're good to go.
However, just to make sure, I did pull the crank to check the forward bearing carrier. Everything is aligned and flowing properly.
So a this point, I ordered a few replacement bolts and such from Maxbmw just to make sure we're good on stretched flywheel bolts and piston clips, but I think I can just about call this sorted.
While I did not quite register oil at the rocker oil ports, I can only say that I did not quite reach pressure with my drill, but plenty coming through the mains and into the conrods.

While I am still going to take this slow and I am working on a temporary mount for my pressure gauge, I think the problem was a case of PITA priming. Maybe it was slightly too cold, maybe there was an air bubble that just wouldn't let go. I just don't know. Very strange, but I will keep a close eye on it. Hell, at least now I know how to test the pump and system before putting the whole thing back together!

I hope this is the last bit to get me on the road for at least a few weeks before the ice hits, but thanks again for everyone's input on this. I greatly appreciate it.
They are very often a PITA in my experience. Nothing wrong. It just takes some spinning as you found out. That's why I always prime them before I hook up the cam to the crank. Once the oil gets to the rod journals for a while it is good and primed. It always takes the oil quite a bit more pumping to get to the right journal after the left journal sees oil pressure because of the way the oil is routed. It takes quite a bit longer yet to get oil to the cylinder studs but I don't go that far. If you remember for sure that you did in fact drill the front main, the oil will get there soon enough and I like to keep the base gasket surface cleaned up and oil free. That's damn near impossible if you just pumped some more oil there and now it is time to put the thing the rest of the way together!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,261
waitaminute, so the drill idea worked!? woohoo! Thanks for testing it for me

On this vaseline priming thing, do you just remove the oil pump cover that's behind the flywheel and pack vaseline in there? Is there anything else I should know? I've got to do the same thing in the near future.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
waitaminute, so the drill idea worked!? woohoo! Thanks for testing it for me

On this vaseline priming thing, do you just remove the oil pump cover that's behind the flywheel and pack vaseline in there? Is there anything else I should know? I've got to do the same thing in the near future.

OIL in the oil pump-----trying to squeeze a big slug of grease through the
bearings is a bad idea.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
OIL in the oil pump-----trying to squeeze a big slug of grease through the
bearings is a bad idea.
+1. Besides, why go there when there is absolutely no need to go there. Bacon grease MIGHT work but I see no reason to find out.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,261
gotcha, thanks

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
rgears OP
Adventurer

Just throwing it out there, I tried the packed vasiline as a last ditch because nothing had worked so far, and I did not know to just prime the pump prior to assembly/install. And as an FYI, after I did get pressure, I opened up the filter canister and scraped down the filter to get all the jelly goo off. No big deal, but yeah, it may work, but try the cam/drill method first! Haha.
'82 CB750
Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #28
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,904
Vaseline isn't a problem, IMO. It is also called "petroleum jelly" and is pretty wimpy stuff-- it has no shear strength (doesn't hold together) and easily mixes with motor oil. It is sticky enough to let the pump start pumping oil and then it disappears. Been using it in new engines for years. For some reason your engine's oil pump is hard to prime.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #29
Steve in OC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I am trying to see if there is adequate oil flow to the heads of my (nearly assembled!) R90. I found this old thread on the subject, so I am posting my question here.

I took off the valve covers, grounded the spark plugs, and turned the engine over for a couple of minutes (in thirty second intervals, with time in between for cooling off the starter). I didn't see any oil flowing.

Here's my question: how much oil should I see? Should oil be dripping from the rockers? Or just barely weeping out?
Steve in OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #30
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in OC View Post
I am trying to see if there is adequate oil flow to the heads of my (nearly assembled!) R90. I found this old thread on the subject, so I am posting my question here.

I took off the valve covers, grounded the spark plugs, and turned the engine over for a couple of minutes (in thirty second intervals, with time in between for cooling off the starter). I didn't see any oil flowing.

Here's my question: how much oil should I see? Should oil be dripping from the rockers? Or just barely weeping out?
Newly assembled engine? Did you replace the front main? Did the valve covers have oil in them when you took them off last time? If you put the engine together right, don't worry about it. I have assembled a lot of airheads and I never check for oil to the rocker arms. It gets there soon enough. There are much bigger fish to fry starting our engines! The rocker arms don't need much oil. They don't get much oil. It can take awhile for the oil to get there but it will unless you forgot to drill the front main or it has spun. Or you have gobbered the base or head gaskets up like a mofo. Do not spin a newly setup engine over before start up with no oil pressure like this OP did. VERY bad for everything. You can listen to folks like myself in this thread or someone like Bill who has some experience starting some other kind of engine. He might give good advise in a lawn mower forum or maybe an old Chevy forum but I doubt it. Besides, this isn't a lawnmower forum or an old Chevy forum. I usually leave him to his own demise but, since he has lately been trying to persuade people that I don't know what I am talking about on a personal level, I'll do a bit of the same. There is no way I can keep up with him blowing hot air but this thread does kind of showcase his typically bad advise.

supershaft screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 09:06 PM