Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #256
hvacnut
Let's Ride!!

Oddometer: 36
Glad you had fun it was a nice day to ride great pictures as always next one we will have to make it harder to fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
todays mission: snatch the NC tag and bring it back to the mountains before the flatlanders get it...

had to endure a bit of construction on hwy19 to get to NC80, but it was all worth it:

"roadside attraction" - according to him it took 15 people to get the bear on the truck.

"two out of the tree victims" (this dog got scratched in the eye and another one got bit in the leg).

don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with hunting, as long as you eat what kill or if it's to protect your livestock, but I am not keen on hunting with dogs and radio collars (not talking about retrievers and pointers).

I think this was a tag once...

tag shot

kept going and circled the lake. At once point I took a wrong turn - and got rewarded with a beautiful view

back on 80

reminder that it's December

last one:

Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #257
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 461
Good stuff! Hopefully I'll get a weekend off soon with decent weather.
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #258
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,611
Familiar photos Cuttle...must have been a fun ride!

I agree that hunting is fine, and I have done my share of deer and grouse hunting over the years but I am with you on the dog and radio transmitter deal. The bear does not have a chance and often suffers a lot before the kill. ( I know because I have gone on bear hunts and even killed one in my younger days over in the Mt. Sterling area...I felt bad for the bear and never went back bear hunting but we did eat the meat) Also, for those private property owners who do not want hunting on their property, maybe due to horses or cattle and etc, its not fair that the dogs can run game through or off that land and that creates a lot of this "roadside" hunting and dog releasing in populated areas that I see. Ok, off my soap box now....

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #259
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,792
Last year a couple of hunters drove up my driveway "hunting" their dogs with a radio antenna-gun thing. I asked what they were up to, and it looked that they had been hunting a BUZZ and caught a really "Big Un". Their eyes were blazed!!

It was funny, but you really don't like seeing stoned rednecks in camo carrying guns around. But I guess that's better for the wildlife....
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #260
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer: 181
Nice photos! That set of turns on 80 is my favorite... Driven that road on my way to Mt. Mitchell more times than I can count.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #261
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,704
You know, the road to that mountain the foreground, Shortoff, is a pretty nice little dirt road. Wolf Pit. And, the hike to the peak of shortoff is only about 1.5 hours. Makes for a good dayhike/bike trip on days when the smokies are frigid.

Also, the road that goes through Linville wilderness starts down there and you can shortcut to the Boone area for some of the pie at Famous Louise's.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #262
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
You know, the road to that mountain the foreground, Shortoff, is a pretty nice little dirt road. Wolf Pit. And, the hike to the peak of shortoff is only about 1.5 hours. Makes for a good dayhike/bike trip on days when the smokies are frigid.

Also, the road that goes through Linville wilderness starts down there and you can shortcut to the Boone area for some of the pie at Famous Louise's.
Since I moved to Elkin...that has become one of my fav routes..as has Blowing Rock to Wilson's Creek on 98% dirt!
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #263
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Pretty soon, I should have my new (to me) 690 Enduro. And I hope to eventually carve out some time to join you on some of these rides. I miss riding these roads.
Then I can disassemble (return to stock) my 990 at leisure for sale in the Spring.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #264
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo View Post
Since I moved to Elkin...that has become one of my fav routes..as has Blowing Rock to Wilson's Creek on 98% dirt!
Yeah, how great is Wilson's?

Lots of good roads up in that part of the world. Glad you're enjoying them!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #265
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo View Post

fancyindigo,

Have you checked out any of the backroads between N Wilkesboro & Blowing Rock? I'm looking at Dugger Firetower Rd, Sampson Rd, etc. I'm not sure which ones are gravel or paved, but looks like lots of twisties. I have a buddy who lives in Triplett and wants to try riding. He knows all the roads down there. We're planning to ride some after the holidays, weather permitting. He's runs an outdoorman camp for kids nearby, so I'm hoping he knows of some trails we can ride too, but I think all the land there is private. Looking forward to spreading my horizions.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #266
hyper7driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I post a short report if I may......

Decided to take a short trip during the "warmer" temperatures today. It was quick, but I did get a few pictures on my cell phone.

I decided to go up 321 into Lenoir, and hop onto a few back roads, then onto Kirby Mountain Road, with a quick blitz up on Water Falls Rd to get a shot of one of the falls. I didn't get to go all the way down Kirby, due to the fact I was sidetracked when I found a sign the read; "motorcycle camping." Hmmmm, had to inquire about that one.

So there is a man who is starting a small campground on Kirby Mountain Rd, and is very reasonable. He offers tent camping for 10$ a night, and will rent you a lot for 50$ a month, plus power. I didn't inquire about pricing per night for a camper. There are trails on this property, I think 139 acres? And showers/bathrooms. Campfires are welcome, trout fishing in a stocked stream, and some very friendly regulars there. So, now for a couple pics.....

First off, my favorite sign!!!!!!!

The sun glares so beautifully on the beginning of the journey. (That is some harrrrrd packed dirt road!)

And as always, beautiful views follow, and some refreshing water falls. The camera just don't do justice.

Mulberry Church looking pretty as always, while Mulberry creek keeps you company this entire stretch of road.

So much more to it, so little time. I'll be sure to remember my camera next time!

hyper7driver screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 05:19 PM
hyper7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #267
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7driver View Post
So there is a man who is starting a small campground on Kirby Mountain Rd, and is very reasonable. He offers tent camping for 10$ a night, and will rent you a lot for 50$ a month, plus power. I didn't inquire about pricing per night for a camper. There are trails on this property, I think 139 acres? And showers/bathrooms. Campfires are welcome, trout fishing in a stocked stream, and some very friendly regulars there. So, now for a couple pics.....
Interesting, pm me some more details about this...Do you happen to have the guys name or name of his campground or contact info?
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #268
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7driver View Post
I post a short report if I may......

Decided to take a short trip during the "warmer" temperatures today. It was quick, but I did get a few pictures on my cell phone.

I decided to go up 321 into Lenoir, and hop onto a few back roads, then onto Kirby Mountain Road, with a quick blitz up on Water Falls Rd to get a shot of one of the falls. I didn't get to go all the way down Kirby, due to the fact I was sidetracked when I found a sign the read; "motorcycle camping." Hmmmm, had to inquire about that one.

First off, my favorite sign!!!!!!!

The sun glares so beautifully on the beginning of the journey. (That is some harrrrrd packed dirt road!)

And as always, beautiful views follow, and some refreshing water falls. The camera just don't do justice.

Mulberry Church looking pretty as always, while Mulberry creek keeps you company this entire stretch of road.

So much more to it, so little time. I'll be sure to remember my camera next time!
Did you travel through Hudson on 321?I lived there back in 95.The furniture industry was going out and I had no clue.Lost my ass trying to find work up there.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #269
hyper7driver
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplandscaping View Post
Interesting, pm me some more details about this...Do you happen to have the guys name or name of his campground or contact info?
Sure, the number to get a hold of the owner is 828-757-0252.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #270
hyper7driver
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Did you travel through Hudson on 321?I lived there back in 95.The furniture industry was going out and I had no clue.Lost my ass trying to find work up there.
I actually live in Lenoir, or well, my mail says Lenoir. Cajah's Mountain actually. I hear you on the work issue. I've wanted to venture into another small business since I've lived here. But the economy is so lousy here I don't care to start something up just to struggle trying to keep it afloat. And it keeps getting worse.