Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #31
SBloke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok

In other words, Lots of guys like and care for their K-bikes (I've seen some very very pretty ones!) but a huge number of us are in LOVE with our Airheads. We give them names....

MM

That settles it. I'll have to go with a K, my girl would highly object to me having another love in my life. Especially if I start naming her as well.

***off to do some soul searching***
SBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #32
Mathias OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Great responses, people, thanks!

I think that the K100RS is almost as good looking as the R100RS. And it looks like wrenching isn't too much of an issue on the K, not so much because it's difficult, but because it doesn't usually need much.

But as somebody who likes to likes to poke at every nook and cranny of the machine, wether it's needed or not, and as somebody who's had too many machines I couldn't muster the proper love for, an R-bike would probably win for me.

I think I'll start another thread with Honda GL1000 vs. CBX1000, chime in if you have any thoughts on those.
Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #33
enfielddnepr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Can anyone tell the difference between the RT fairing and RS type in bad weather?
i'm looking for a winter higway tourer, and although the RS stuff looks much cooler, in terms of comfort the RT will be better??
enfielddnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #34
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfielddnepr View Post
Can anyone tell the difference between the RT fairing and RS type in bad weather?
i'm looking for a winter higway tourer, and although the RS stuff looks much cooler, in terms of comfort the RT will be better??
The RT fairing will always win in bad weather as it is larger and offers more protection. However, the R100RS fairing is superb and will keep you well protected. It preceded the R100RT and is still considered the best fairing ever by many. Especially if a larger aftermarket windshield is added. A K75S fairing is not nearly as good, but a K75RT fairing is, well damn good at keeping the cold windy rain at bay.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #35
enfielddnepr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thanks, i suspect that a rs fairing won't keep your head free of cold and rain..?
enfielddnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #36
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
On the RS it depends on how tall you are, if over 6" the wind and water will be shot strait to your visor.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Remember that K bikes are like riding a two wheeled stove but a lot of water cooled bikes are IMO. The thing that amazes me about the two different models is how much better a K75 handles over a K100. They are almost the same bike but night and day difference in that department. Night and day difference in the power department too! Comparatively speaking, the K100s have a lot more power than the K75's. They both have a lot more power than an airhead. They are both torque monsters in their own right. They are both far too heavy IMO. Too long too! Very slow handlers for it compared to airheads IMO.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #38
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
Two timer on the K75S (and of course I can see owning another)...but even with a better rear shock and better fork springs (which they really need) anything tight and twisty, it's a unsatisfying, almost a pig, throw some bumps in there and it is just a unpleasant chore to ride in those conditions. As far as power, it put out about 100 hp per liter, as good or better than as any 80's bike. It will cruise for hours on end at 100+ mph and just be serene and stable as can be, or plod at 65 and get about 50 mpg. The one time I rode a K100 for a few days, well, as mentioned, it is a night and day difference. It is really a handful in town! Just as "bad" in the tight corners and really rather vibey at 65 mph, but smooth at 100. K75 is smooth at any speed. I'm interested in the K1100RS though....
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #39
awshucks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Lucky me, I have one of each. The red hole in the road to throw money down is an '85 K100 RS. I bought it ready to in Tx, had tires repaced [was in deal] curbed front rim was not, $130 in roadhole for good used rim, plus $50 to remount frt tire. Then $400 for a 'just now ready for' spline lube, still has mismatched bags I missed at purchse [buddy threw them in pickup. Drove it home 300 miles slight shimmy at 55, put fresh gas in and away we went. Added a paint job'$200 to relative and another $500 to get it right. It's a sharp looker/rider now. Still need to swap a left Gen 3 bag for a 2. Or, a rt side 2 for a 3. 48k on clock and it will scoot.

The airhead is an '81 R100 T/S Started out a T model and is as close to an 'S' as it's ever going to get.

love the petcock, I know how far I can push it w/ 2 reserves. This now has a corbin gunfighter w/ gold piping, much butt better.
no reserves on K, just 7 and 3 litre that are highly innaccurate, have to go off trip odo.

The more miles I get on the K the fonder I am of it. Like being in love w/ two women, I'm not sure I could pick between the two
awshucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #40
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
"Airheads have soul,K bikes are like an appliance."I was told that once when contemplating purchasing a "K."Also had a sticker that said"Friends dont let friends ride K bikes"Good enough for me!
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #41
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
I agree, the K bikes are like an appliance - but a German appliance, not like an American or Japanese one. The whole bike, at least the K75S, was just so well made, so well thought out, and operated quite well. It was that turbine quality and turbine smoothness.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote