Let's see your Man Castle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZcacti, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! That's the money shot. A real beautiful place you have, there.

I put in a lot of windows. As clown mentioned, they transform a cave into a nice workspace. We use an alarm system. Our thought was "If a thief wants in, window and door types don't matter. They're getting in.".

You can see my windows here and here. We still have a long way to go.
  2. Cruiser

Cruiser Cruiser.. 16 beta 350rr, 2003 KTM 625sxc

Oddometer:
    Windows in a garage door do invite theft,, especially with an electric opener.. the window makes it so easy to unhook the door from the track its not even funny. It takes an experienced thief about 5-7 seconds to open one.. took me 15 seconds to open my parents to show them how easy it was.. there are videos all over you tube on it..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CMz1tXBVT1s
  3. simply40

simply40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job, you will enjoy I am sure. You may have a moisture issue as you have no ridge vents. The dead air space between the insulation and your roof may need to be vented like your house is. In a building of your size passive vents should work for you. Just a thought. Enjoy your new shop.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw your link elsewhere. The reality is that it takes a thief about 5-7 seconds to break into any structure or steal a vehicle. My neighbor volunteered to show me. Thankfully, he's my best friend, has keys to all my buildings, and isn't a thief. :lol3
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hate working in all artificial light, so windows in the door will likely happen. I'll have a security system, and good insurance too.

Jim :brow
  6. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^^"Make mit der helmet, macht schell! I vant to ride!"

Handsome Sheperd! I still miss mine...

I had NO windows in my garage at first, but when I replaced the overhead door, I added a row of windows in the top panel - the natural light is a big plus. Adding some of the bathroom awning windows as suggested above would help make it more pleasant and won't reduce meaningful wall space by much.

Nice building, siting and complementing the house!:thumb
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Wow, I am humbled at your place! Beautiful!:clap

[​IMG]

You have me reconsidering the window situation. My neighborhood isn't likely as good as yours, but I have never been particularly paranoid.

Cruiser: Over at Garage Journal they have shown how you can prevent that. Thanks.

Simply40: You are right, they did not add venting, even ridge type. I plan to sheet rock the ceiling and insulate, so I am going to add gable vents on both ends.

Thanks for the compliments guys!:freaky

Jim :brow
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's nowhere near done. It has attic trusses, so it'll have an upstairs. Hopefully, power will be ran, in the spring. All the driveway was poured by my neighbor and I. Another neighbor and his son poured the slab and framed the shop (I was really busy with work). He and I set the trusses. I sheeted, papered, and shingled the roof myself. The next year, I did all the windows, doors, trim, and siding. The little garage has been stripped, roofed, and sided to match. I'm at 5 years and still have the shop and garage interiors and nearly all the house to do. Plenty of work! :evil

Oh yeah, the windows will have inside shutters over the lower portions. That'll still allow plenty of light, yet, block the average height person from looking in. Currently, clear plastic is serving as a privacy screen.
  9. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    I refuse to live in fear....I'll say it again, Screw the thieves!
  10. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    Technically havent bought it yet, but am about 30 days from closing.

There is a detached 2 car garage with a loft. There is a set of really tall attic stairs to the loft (I think the ceilings are 10'+). In the loft at each end are giant open louvres.

The question:
    Does the attic need to be vented like that if it has normal soffets and a ridge vent?

The problem is that no matter how much you insulate the wind can whip right through the attic and I won't be able to keep my Snow Globe collection up there in the winter :lol3

Also threw this up on the garage journal, but I like to pull info from everywhere.
  11. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    Well I see your in Jursey... how old is the f**kin house?
  12. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    House is kinda old but the Garage is from the 80's.
  13. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is that the old dude before you had to deal all this stuff too... Ya know. Maybe he was a dumb ass, but I dought it.
  14. JRW

JRW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right side
    [​IMG]

Left:
    [​IMG]

Car lives in the middle, which gives me a whole heap of clear floor space.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk
  15. Cruiser

Cruiser Cruiser.. 16 beta 350rr, 2003 KTM 625sxc

Oddometer:

I say that too,, but I live in reality,, and too close a reach to NYC.. most of the home invasions and burglaries turn out to be NYC "kids" or crimnals that can make it back on the highway and over into NJ before the Pa State police even respond... that said.. I safeguard my house and carry a 1911 compact .45 on my hip.. They can ef with my stuff but dont ef with my family..
  16. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    A roof needs to be vented, so that air flows from bottom to top, taking advantage of natural convection. This removes condensation from the underside of the sheeting and helps to cool it during the evening hours. Therefore you need air intake at the bottom (vented soffets) and exhaust at the top (ridge or box vents).

You say it has normal soffets. Are the soffets vented? Can you get inside the garage attic and look down into the soffets? Or, did they sheet the exterior all the way to the roof sheeting, in between the trusses/rafters?

If your soffets aren't vented, it's relatively inexpensive to have the soffets changed out. You can do this yourself, if reasonably handy. If the wall sheeting butts up to the roof sheeting, you'll need to cut out that sheeting or use a hole saw and drill holes.

You already have ridge vent.

I suspect the gable vents were part of the original construction. The ridge vent was probably added during the last roof installation. If you have the aforementioned vented soffets, you can close off the gable vents.

If you plan to insulate and finish the attic, be sure to use the correct batting for the job. You need to ensure that there is air space between the roof sheating and insulation. You have to have that airflow. Otherwise, condensation will become a huge issue, rotting anything wooden and growing mold.
  17. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Simple solution is zip tie your quick release...

Plus if your garage door faces the street it seriously cuts down on the chances of this happening with a zip-tied release -- it'll take the burglar way too long. Time and visibility are their two worst enemies.
  18. bump

bump COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer:
    Wow, as others have already written here, great job! Beautiful country there too. And you did all that yourself? Very impressive.

I hate useless posts but your complimenting your garage is a must.

Cheers,

19. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    The latest addition. Merry Christmas

[​IMG]
  20. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Really? :lol3 I hate you. Merry Christmas. :freaky:freaky