User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 454
Wandering in Indiana

Okay, probably overstated it a bit. Took the bike out for about an hour and took few shots. Hoping to add to this thread as time goes on.

Not often that we get to ride the Hoosier state on Christmas. When it hit the mid-40's on a bright and sunny Christmas I decided to try out my new Icon Hooligan pants. First ride with new Tourmaster jacket as well. The jacket was the right choice, the pants will be better in the summer. A lot of airflow mesh in the pants.

First stop was a little country church about five miles from home. Seemed appropriate since it was Christmas.

This is a pretty stop in the summer, but not a lot of beauty this time of year...at least without snow.

The town recently built this in a local park. I have no idea what happens here, but it looks nice.

Thought I'd get a shot of myself in this report. Pretty sure you'd be able to pick me out of a crowd after seeing this one.

Last shot on my first report--the local "haunted bridge." Not sure why or when it became haunted, but that's the rumor. Looks like it's mostly haunted by "wanna be's."
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Last shot on my first report--the local "haunted bridge." Not sure why or when it became haunted, but that's the rumor. Looks like it's mostly haunted by "wanna be's."
I love old bridges like that.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Avon has a pretty big CSX train yard and that bridge is used multiple times a day by multi-engine freight trains.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.75...z=15&t=h&hl=en
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Been a while since posted. I've been working on the bike a lot of the time since the Christmas pictures I posted earlier.

This was last month. Small town just west of Indy--Danville town square

It's the county seat, so the courthouse dominates:

Across from the square is restaurant called The Mayberry Cafe. In light of Andy's passing I offer this shot of the Mayberry Sheriff's car:

I took a shot at Christmas in this same location. Have to admit...it does look better in the summer. We've been having a drought here--driest June on record and there has been no relief so far in July. Many days over 100 degrees with no rain, so the water level is down a lot from the time of this shot.

Back to the church first shown at Christmas.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

I spotted this old tractor for sale just west of Avon. An old Ferguson. My dad always loved old tractors, so I find it hard to ride by without stopping to acknowledge him. You can see the effects of the drought in this picture. Typically Indiana is really green at this time of year, but the grass gave it up a few weeks ago. Not supposed to be any relief until at least October--that according to the news this a.m.

It was well into the '90's today, but overcast. I rode to Heritage Lake west of Danville. Using the a point and shoot that I haven't used in a while, so the color balance appears to be off a bit.

I have a GoPro now and plan to post some videos, but I needed a mount for it. I looked at the official mount, but thought I could come up with one on my own. Here's the "not-so-pretty" version. Just wanted to see if it would work before investing the effort to make it look good. Unfortunately, I forgot to charge the GoPro, but the mount seemed very steady.

Just noticed that some of the shots taken above show the bike with Superbike bars on it. I really didn't like them, so I went back to the dirtbike bars I had on it last summer. Works out well for the GoPro mount and they are way more comfortable.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Typically Indiana is really green at this time of year, but the grass gave it up a few weeks ago. Not supposed to be any relief until at least October--that according to the news this a.m.
Things don't seem to be any better in the southern part of the state. I was in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and the foliage was plenty green, but it all started turning brown about halfway through my return trip to Louisville. It'll be nice to see some rain!

What year is your Suzuki? Looks to be in really good condition. I had a GS-450 back in the late-90's and it proved to be a stellar ride, never wanting anything but oil changes and the occasional shot of chain lube.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

The bike is an '83 GR650. Didn't sell well in the states...so only available here in'83 and '84. Sold overseas for nine years...but pretty rare here. I had never heard of them until a buddy offered to sell this one to me. A lot of deferred maintenance was needed, I think I've got that sorted now. Not as fast as my Radian was...but I'm glad to have a bike again. Cosmetic stuff left to do at this point...but that will wait until the riding season is over.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

I was out running around the area the other day and using the GoPro. I had to compress it pretty heavily to get it to upload in a reasonable amount of time, so the quality of the video suffered.

These shots are west of Avon, IN. Avon is a small town west of Indy about 10-15 miles. No real town here. It used to be a series of crossroads with a few stores. Now it is a series of intersections with strip malls.

Doesn't take long to return to the Indiana of days gone by. Five minutes will put you back into farmland. These roads are some of the more entertaining ones around here.

Different story if you head south. Things get pretty twisty and hilly fairly quickly. I've got more time on those roads in the Miata and not so much on the bike. Hope to get more video from that part of the state as time goes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE9jk_CFB0
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
WVrefugee
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Iu

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...e_2006/040.jpg

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...urrent=040.jpg
WVrefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Go-4-It
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Cool stuff! Keep it coming I like seeing the local rides we all take. Slick bike looks like in #4 you added a small fairing.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Thanks! Haven't got the funds or time to do extended rides just yet, but I enjoy reading other riders' threads about where they live and ride. Thought I'd give it a try.

I have been thinking about adding flyscreen, but no fairing added yet. I changed the bars to Superbike bars and they make the speedo and tach more prominent.

Decided on comfort over style and went back to dirtbike bars for now.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

A few shots from today's run west of Danville, IN.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Hey

Liked your report and photos!

That bike is SICK !

I live in Putnam County - there is a LOT of fun riding to do form here and further Southwest.
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
Hey

Liked your report and photos!

That bike is SICK !

I live in Putnam County - there is a LOT of fun riding to do form here and further Southwest.
Thanks, jdfog2! I'll get to Putnam County at some point. Just started this thread after getting the old GR running reliably. Well, as reliably as a 27-year old bike will ever run.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

So, one of the perks of being in higher ed is the time available to ride in the summer. Our youngest is still in high school, but Avon, in its wisdom, has decided to go to a "balanced" schedule. School started yesterday--August 1st. His cross country practice didn't end until 5:45, so I was footloose and fancy free.

He gets his license this week, so I won't be on dad-taxi duty anymore. More time to ride!

Put about 100 miles on the bike...took almost no pictures. I was riding a ridge line that extends south and west out of Mooresville, IN. The roads are very twisty and very narrow. No shoulders to speak of, so stopping to take pix can get a bit tricky.

I did get this one of the courthouse in Martinsville, IN. Just missed the perp walk that occurred just after I put the camera away. Turns out that the white van is a prisoner transport vehicle.

Did grab some lunch

Hit a vintage rider meet up on Tuesday in Brownsburg. Got a few shots:

Familiar view for XS650 riders

Some are works in progress

Naked GL1000

Suzuki GT380

Went riding after the meet up and got this one. Seems to perfectly illustrate why photogs call late afternoon "the golden hours." No editing done on the shot to change the color of the light.

radianrider screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 03:08 AM