User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
everydayADV OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
WR250X Day Test - Holy Jims So Cal Gettin Dirty - Intro

Hey ADV! This is my first post on this site - thank you for having me!

I was introduced to this family by a buddy GCRAD1. His KTM chronicles are to be found everywhere within here.

I recently picked up a Yamaha WR250X Supermoto as a local commuter, canyon infiltrator, Trader Joes grocery getter, all-around funster. I come from a superbike / track background for years. Grew up on 2 stroke dirt bikes before I could get my license doing my best to get dirty. Funny how history repeats!

The bike is slightly unique being the only FI option in its class. Peak HP around 10.5 before a limiter of 12k. just under 300lbs wet & prepped and plated supermoto from the factory. Aluminum chassis, swingarm, titanium intake valves, treated cylinders, typical Yamaha exUP crap, too much computer, the list continues.... Bottom line, rips for a 250! Crazy fun!

I did a little light dirt on the WR250X here and there but this was a decent shake down for a few hours out at Holy Jims Canyon here in So. Cal. Conditions were mostly dry on the way in (shocked that the path had been recently groomed) and once into the National Forest side of things it was decently dirty. The recent rain had brought a bit of elevated streams and water runoff but nothing dramatic. The excess 4 wheel traffic kept the water sections slightly muddy / loose. If anything the rain has kept the scenery greener than I would expect.

Started out nice and clean, took a second to pose for the camera:

Now I can say I have a picture in front of an old well...

Bumped into a few ADV types - DRZ400 and an older Honda 350? One of them is on here, sorry forgot your screen name!

The ride back was the best - dedicated a few minutes to extra photos and scenery. The way it should be!

The slightly above the leaves view as seen from the trail.

One of the watery runoffs that kept things wet. I liked the tree in the background. Photo didn't do it justice. Bright colors and leaves!

A small plug for WSMC Willow Springs Motorcycle Club. I thought the muddied up logo was appropriate today. No plates on the bike yet, just clocked mile 1100 in the past month. The supermoto Bridgestone tires held their own today I guess. A bit squishy in the "muddy" sections. Other than that made for some nice leg out action at every opportunity.

I'm big into camping - minimalist style. Bring what you need, keep it tight, keep it light, bring a motorbike! Thank you REI!

Had to frame it up with some branches...

On the Soto Burner - REI - Soto Micro Regulator Stove - Gigapower Gas Power - Japan

Titanium super light Ti WARE Rei goodies.

Warm sunset in a cold canyon, what a way to ride out...

WR250X spotlight

All in all the package impressed. The dry sections were fun and predictable, the rocky sections were slightly sketchy as expected, the mud was a slick track. I'm all about maxing what I have and making adjustments. I don't think the supermoto tires were super qualified for the rocks, not that there were many since they groomed this place. I ate one smaller one prettty hard on the way out. Gotta see if it has pressure in the morning. The backside section with the woops were fun. The front fork on this bike is a little tighter than most dirtbikes. It can really dig in on the tarmac and spin it up hard to 12k at exit. I have to find a balance. I promise to keep it dirty though

Just a few thoughts on the shake down. Thanks again for having me - this place is great. Daily inspiration!

If you want to see the high-res for any reason I keep a pretty active Flickr. Here's a link to the set and the content is all public.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3640084...7628478150125/

Thanks again!

everydayADV

everydayADV screwed with this post 12-25-2011 at 09:17 PM
everydayADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Welcome to ADV and congrats on the WR250 purchase. Welcomes to the club.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
rschopp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nice to see an OC report. Will have to check that area out.
rschopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
everydayADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Welcome to ADV and congrats on the WR250 purchase. Welcomes to the club.
Thanks! Havin' fun!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
everydayADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschopp View Post
Nice to see an OC report. Will have to check that area out.
Holy Jims was surprisingly groomed up until the border into the forest line. I'm watching other posts to get ideas that aren't too far from here. After the trip and cleanup I saw that the tires were pretty ravaged. Small rocks and sharp edges messed up the street tires pretty good. If I keep hitting the dirt I am going to have to switch to a hybrid tire that offers a bit more versatility. Holy Jims was a low grade shakedown. What would be the next test?

Thanks!

everydayADV
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,892
Great pics, nice work on the WR250X +1 on welcome to the club. I've had mine a couple of months and I'm going to try Kenda 270s on it for the rest of the winter then go back to street tires for supermoto season
I'll be watching for more pictures
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
dirtrider5001
whatever

Oddometer: 50
correction

10.5 horsepower?. uh no thats not right I think that bike has more like 25. Ok im gonna get back to looking at the rest of ur post. I wanna get me one of these one day.
dirtrider5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider5001 View Post
10.5 horsepower?. uh no thats not right I think that bike has more like 25. Ok im gonna get back to looking at the rest of ur post. I wanna get me one of these one day.
Actually 30.7 hp at 10,000 rpm
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
dirtrider5001
whatever

Oddometer: 50
well

not tryin to hijack this guys thread, but when u say 30 are u talking about after it is uncorked? I was told by an owner of one of these bikes that stock they are 25 and uncorked they can get to 30. It would be so nice if yamaha just put horsepower specs on there website. I like your bike alot, its too bad that from what i heard they discontinued the x.
dirtrider5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I think Yam claims 25hp and under 300lbs with a full tank. At least they do for the R.

Nice intro, though. He'll be having fun on the wsmc streets course and the kart track.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
rschopp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayADV View Post
Holy Jims was surprisingly groomed up until the border into the forest line. I'm watching other posts to get ideas that aren't too far from here. After the trip and cleanup I saw that the tires were pretty ravaged. Small rocks and sharp edges messed up the street tires pretty good. If I keep hitting the dirt I am going to have to switch to a hybrid tire that offers a bit more versatility. Holy Jims was a low grade shakedown. What would be the next test?

Thanks!

everydayADV
The next test might be riding up to Santiago Peak. I plan on trying this area after the holidays.
rschopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
everydayADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The peak power is at 10.5k RPM's stock. Not 10.5 hp. Oh man, that would not be awesome supermoto, that would be scooter material. Eek!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
everydayADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
not tryin to hijack this guys thread, but when u say 30 are u talking about after it is uncorked? I was told by an owner of one of these bikes that stock they are 25 and uncorked they can get to 30. It would be so nice if yamaha just put horsepower specs on there website. I like your bike alot, its too bad that from what i heard they discontinued the x.
I edited the top post... Just under 300lbs wet, around 25hp stock, around 30hp uncorked. Uncorked meaning at least replacement can, tuner, ais / flapper removal, exup elim, etc...

In response t the "heard it was discontinued" you are correct. I picked up an amazingly late model '11. Got lucky basically! OCYAMAHA, formerly Performance Motorsports, carries only Yamaha now. The main sales guy is Devon who also owns an X. Big enthusiast himself. Still haven't seen another one in white. Line was discontinued. I know OCYAMAHA has an 08 that was a demo bike that has around 80 miles on it. Not sure how that came to be, but it is one of the last I know of.

Lot of fun to be had on this bike!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
everydayADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschopp View Post
The next test might be riding up to Santiago Peak. I plan on trying this area after the holidays.
I want to push things a bit harder in the dirt. It's a supermoto but I get a big kick out of riding to the trail on the street, have a little fun on the way there, play in the dirt, ride it home. Down side to being able to get crazy lean angle on the tarmac is dirt / rocks / sharp objects don't mix with the street tires all that great. I inspected the tires when I got home and they were full of cuts, rips, etc... Ack!

If I intend on getting much nastier (top of Saddleback or something) I am going to need some better hybrid tires and carry a few more tools, etc.

Like I said, this was a minor shakedown / test. Just having fun!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
everydayADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I think Yam claims 25hp and under 300lbs with a full tank. At least they do for the R.

Nice intro, though. He'll be having fun on the wsmc streets course and the kart track.
Thanks Pantah. It's crazy fun and thanks all for the warm welcome. I bet streets would be a super big blast on this bike. A bit small for the big track, bit it would be very at home on the cart track. Can't wait!!!