Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
GSDane OP
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 307
Chix in the Stix - 3rd.-4th. December 2011 Noojee-Vic-Oz

What a great weekend ....
Another Chix in the Stix ride with the girls was taking place on the first weekend of December 2011
Of course this close to Christmas there had to be a bit of Christmas spirit around

Info and thoughts for nexttime-comers are found here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714874

Anyway... Most of us started the ride on the Friday - Jane and I left Burwood after the last bit of packing and Christmas-spiriting... in good time for a great ride via the backroads through the Dandenong Ranges and coming out at Three-Bridges just north-west of the Bunyip State Reserve (as said earlier... best to keep a safe distance to these critters...)
Jane with her newly enquired Christmas tree

Before hitting Noojee we detoured via Neerim Junction for fuel... where we were much warned about the local deerhunters because of the Rudolph-lookalike of the X-challenge.

We continued on... with fingers crossed and hoping that the red nose would give it away with no bullets flying in our direction

Very ready for a late lunch we pulled up at the nice Red Parrot cafe in Noojee... and had lunch in company of the locals

Well fed we were able to roll the last 10k's to the Poplars campsite north of town - being the first ones to arrive we got to choose the site... but after loads of rains the weeks before the dry areas were kind of limited. Otherwise than that the campground is in pretty good nick after a full renovation... we found a nice spot with room for campfire and several tents in the perimeter.

But... there were other visitors as well...
Up until this trip a certain person in the group was considered (and I think that others would confirm this as well) as a pretty rational and emotionally stable person... but the first encounter with a leech did not confirm this appearance
Now, these creatures do also occur in the faraway country where that person has spent much of her life - but this was obviously the first close encounter in real life...

Fortunately Lyn pulled up shortly after and she had stuff handy against the little creatures

(Note... no leeches were directly injuried during the weekend)

We got the fire going and Kristen arrived with her two cute friends...

And Sue and Helen-Mary finally made it to Poplars as well... after having attended a car-crash scene and flattening a battery on their travels.
Sue in battle with the Jetboil for a late dinner

"Goodmorning Sunshine..." - Jane, Sue and Lyn trying to wake up ready for the ride

More people pulled up in the morning - Sarah on her XT660 after 100k's of fresh morning air... reckon it was a tad chilly - and Marls with her great little Sherco on the trailer (meaning that she could bring loads of stuff for a laidback camping life including a pavillion )

The campsite in the morning... nice place

Alright... a great ride was on the Saturday agenda so everyone was getting ready...

Jane with her X-Country

Dorthe and her X-challenge... chatting away with Kristen (first mentioned obviously survived the evening and night after the leech encounter and was actually much more relaxed afterwards... )

Sarah with her XT660... and Dorthe, Kristen and Jane

Sue and the stealth-mode F650GSDakar...

All ready...

Dorthe - Xchallenge, Jane - Xcountry, Sarah - XT660, Kristen - F800GS, Jo - XT250, Helen-Mary - F650GS, Sue - F650GSDakar and Lyn - KLX250

And Mel and Jude ready for a mountainbike ride around Noojee

Some great riding along mostly wonderful floating gravelroads...

We didn't get to take loads of pics along the way - too busy riding... but did get a couple of breaks along the way. One of them provided by a sharp turn and Helen-Mary's bike deciding to take a rest...
Gee... they look more as in posing for the camera than wanting to help

A bit of ducktape always comes in handy... and all ready to go

The ride was based on the Corner-man-system... so Lyn had a bit of time waiting a the next corner - but certainly in beautiful surrounding though

A bit of firewood available...

And Jane popping through...

Time for a short break...

And of course... the needed snack time

A bit of regrouping before heading in for the Wedding crashing
Marls, Jo and Kristen

and Sue turning up

Marls had been invited to a friend's wedding on the Saturday... but had definitely sorted out her priorities by going on the Chix ride. We all popped by and congratuled the happy couple

Here the bride and Marls

And some of the crowd behind the scenes

Back on the bikes...

With a moment to enjoy the view

We had lunch in Erica and headed north... aiming for the campsite. Passing over Mt. Baw Baw initiated some wishfull thoughts about a nice campfire and a nice cuppa...
Even though Jo didn't have to worry about staying warm after her shopping in Rawson...

Here pictured back at camp

(nice little Sherco in the background.. waiting for a short ride by someone ... thanks for loan, Marls)

Ready for a rest and some food... Sue

And Mel and Jude had a great time on the bikes up at Mt. Baw Baw

The Christmas spirit-thing was actually participating in the prize-winning competition put up by Mel and Jude - and while not looking (or riding a Sherco) the Xchallenge was decorated as the Winner

(But actually it was a bit of a scam... there was no chocolate as the winning-prize )

Cooking time... Mel in the kitchen

And Jude...

And Helen-Mary and Sue...

And Lyn and Jane digging in...

All in all... very cosy and enjoyable...

Hmm, life is good...

Sunday morning was packing up time...

And time for some birdwatching - Jude and Jane - together with a pretty casual breakfast crowd

Uhhh, getting ideas for the ride home (or maybe more true... figuring out where we had been the day before )

Most left the Sunday ride for another Sunday and took the straight road home... or in the car - so after a coffee together at the Red Parrot we split up...
Having the option of a bit more of local guidance and backroads Jane and I accepted Kristen's offer of taking us via a couple of sights nearby...
The trio on the beautiful threstle bridge just out of Noojee

And Jane and Kristen studying the map at the walk to the amazing Ada Tree

And here it is... Note the two chix on each side of the tree

Thanks for a great ride and weekend
Hope to see you all again...

Cheers, Dorthe.

GSDane screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 12:12 AM
GSDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
jardine
the purple

Oddometer: 445
Fantastic reporting and pics thanks GSDane for putting it all together and that ADA tree is a special old girl for sure!

oh and by the way talking of leaches, I was chatting with riding mate Jcat today and his mate ended up with some leaches in his mouth on the last ride - dont know if he swallowed them or spat them out?

Sorry I had to share that one with you just because.......

thanks again and hope to see you cruisin Aus again in the future
jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Great RR. Thanks for sharing
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
huskygirl
HuskyGirl

Oddometer: 174
Excellent report, it looks like a fun weekend had by all.

So when and where is the next one?
huskygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Looks like you had more fun than the law allows.

Good for you.

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #6
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 856
Thanks, definitely good times with good friends, I enjoyed reading your report.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,817
Excellent ladies!!! Nice to see you back at it!

Mel, I see you favoring that left leg..... From one gimpy rider to another, awesome job!! Keep it up.

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Nice report!

Nice looking ride, thanks for sharing!
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,515
Looks like you gals had a good time. Thanks for sharing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,937
Great RR Dorthe

I just have to go back to the leech thing. Before anyone else had arrived and whilst Dorthe and I were setting up camp, I hear her Danish accent saying in a slightly wary and questioning manner, "Jane, what is this?". I have a look and confirm, "its a leech Dorthe". Next thing I know, the hard nut biker girl who spent 3 months riding dirt around the Australia outback on her own, goes all girly on me. Her hands fly up into the air and the Danish accent goes up an octave.

Over the next 24 hours Dorthe claimed to be feeling calmer about our black slimy campground mates, but we were not deceived!!!

Sue loved the leeches so much, she took one home.

As for your mate Jardine, he must have been hungry. That's why us girls carry soooooo much chocolate.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
Powermel1
Adventurer in Training

Oddometer: 357
Another ripper report

Dorthe,

Thanks another ripper. And thanks for making it sound like we rode the pushies up Mt Baw Baw, of course we did.......
William Orville Douglas
Powermel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #12
Powermel1
Adventurer in Training

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Excellent ladies!!! Nice to see you back at it!

Mel, I see you favoring that left leg..... From one gimpy rider to another, awesome job!! Keep it up.

I was pretty pleased with myself being on the pushies after having only been out of the walker boot for 2 weeks. Now back on the bike, still gimpy, just less so!
William Orville Douglas
Powermel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
SCHEVY
When's the Next Ride

Oddometer: 27
Hi all,
Thanks Jardine for taking us out to explore a beautiful part of Victoria & to all the chix who made this such a great weekend It was great to see you all again, along with the new gals. Sandra & Johnny were stoked we gatecrashed their wedding, which topped off a great day for them too
GSDane, great ride report, will definately miss riding with you
Have a great Christmas & an awesome 2012. Here's just a couple more pics of the beautiful bikes & the beautiful bunch of women.
Cheers,
Marls

Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,507
Love the "girlie" touch to decorating your tough adventure bikes

A great RR

Beautiful people riding in beautiful countryside .......................... what more could one ask for

Cheers & merry christmas
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Wonderful.
You all know how to live.
Thanks for the report.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote