User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #16
dirtrider5001
whatever

Oddometer: 50
ah memories

Great pictures!! tell me u flew up some of those hills! Thats what i dreamed of doing when i was there. Its a really beautiful place, The basin area really is an offroaders dream... i lived there against my will for a cuple of months lol seriously, about 150 miles away from salt lake city i believe, (or thats what they told me) Nothin much in that area really exept for indian reservations, and dont let them catch u lol. Its nice there in the summer but gets very cold in the winter, an icy snowy desert it becomes.

dirtrider5001 screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 01:08 AM
dirtrider5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesage View Post
Yeah, crappy snow and Inversionville! Aarrgg!! That "Rocky Mountain High" is the smog we're choking down! Here are a couple of links, though the first one is another .gov site:

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/nsa/index....on=Great_Basin

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/whe...en-t58586.html

Just met with surgeon, sounds like if I choose a laproscopic procedure the down time is minimal. Sounds good to me, let's get this over with! Thanks again.
THANKS for the links. I'll keep those. I should go down there & ski. A WEIRD,snowless winter up here(Idaho). I plan to haunt that area this summer. I always liked it but never really explored the backcountry there. Thanks for the motivation. Winter's a great time for a motocycle guy to have a hernia. They'll fix you up fast. They did me--twice. Good luck. You won't need it.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,734
Looks a great ride and great pictures. We went thru there on the TAT a few years ago, but we were too focused on getting to Oregon to stop and smell the flowers. Looks like a good place to go spend a few days like you did.

We stayed in downtown Baker and had a good time. We actually got in early and spent the latter part of the afternoon drinking beer with a couple from Denmark. We ran into them again the next night in Eureka.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
PersonaNonGrata
Needless Dickerer

Oddometer: 480
Great pics, great riding, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
roarin c, you're welcome! Yeah, strange winter, seems like snowfall is grim in a lot of areas. Feel free to look me up when down here and thanks!
Hay Purplesage,thanks. I might just email you before I head to the Great Basin. Maybe you can come along for a spell. Be a blast. Thanks for this thread. I will be there,maybe for quite a while. Am planning some neat rides up here too,in Mont & Idaho. Get the urge,come on up.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
Terry at the SilverJack is an excellent host. Every May, I go to the Italian motorcycle get together that he hosts (plenty of other bikes there as well).
Quota, do you have any info on this event? It is not mentioned on the SilverJack web site. Thanks, JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,751
Great report. I've been to the summit of Wheeler twice now. By hiking standards, it's not long but man, it takes the wind out of you :) Well worth the suffering for a spectacular view though. And the caves are just as spectacular.

Nicely done!
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
'roarin, yes, definitely contact me if it fits your plan, it would be great to have a chance to ride along with you. I hope to have the opportunity to head up to Idaho area this coming season. I've not gone on any really long rides lately and am starting to go into withdrawals. It seems the last few years I have been relegated to more "weekend warrior" status, but that is changing and I want to take some longer loops through the intermountain west. Maybe CDR or part of the TAT. Or get a GPS and just start wandering.
Sounds good. Keep in touch. I'm planning on quite a few rides down where you are & up here. R C