User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Mugwest OP

Oddometer: 5,728
late airhead throttle cable routing

Happy holidays, Old Skoolers.

I've needed to replace my '81 G/S's badly worn throttle cam gear (stock = single-pull throttle cable w/ splitter) and decided to upgrade to the twin throttle cable perch that BMW went back to with the R100GS (and all later 1000cc airheads in fact).

Bought the new parts from Max and dry fit everything today to check cable routing, fouling etc.

I initially routed both left and right throttle cables together around the left side of the head tube, under the left frame gusset. The Left cable is fine, the Right ended up being too short in this config. Yes, cable part #'s are correct for 100GS with the left being shorter than the right

So i then re-routed the Right cable down under the right side head tube frame gusset. That is certainly workable, in that it does not bind or kink or strain when the bars are turned lock to lock-- but it does not look right. The cable comes into the carb far too forward that what seems correct, with an unnatural bend that shouts WRONG-- all airheads i've ever touched have the choke and throttle coming down onto the carb evenly in parallel and nearly vertically down

So what's the routing for the late airhead GS right throttle cable?

Anybody got pix of a late GS with the tank off that shows cables?

Stage? I know you have your tank off frequently

MRP
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
i dug man, but i have no decent pics.
If you don't have anything pretty soon, email me and i'll pull mine and snap some pics. it's an 89 if that matters.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Both On Right Side..

I just braved going outside in the pissing rain to go to my shed, where my '94 GS sleeps under a blanket, to have a look for you. Sorry no pics to offer. Both of my cables head straight down on the R/H Side and go behind the gusset to head back to the carbs. I imagine that the L/H one snakes over to the associated side somewhere slightly rear of the voltage regulator. The tank is coming off in a few weeks - when I change the main harness, but my guess is that you will have some other pics by then.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
bereahorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereahorn View Post
I know what you're up to..... You are fiendish in your ways. I like your sense of humour.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Mugwest OP

Oddometer: 5,728
Thanks Matt and Jack--

snooped around the fiche some more this AM after i had a brainstorm last night and think i found the hold up: the G/S 81-86 (and both the R65 and R80ST as well) all have a little plastic shield that is fastened under the horn. It looks to have been intended as a splash shield or something for the coil.

I noted that these 3 models seem to be the only airheads ever to have had this shield-- none of the 1000cc GS variants ever had it (according to the fiche) and the coil position is identical to the G/S's. I'm thinking the G/S can live without this little shield. That will give ample room to run the twin cables to the right of the head tube as Jack indicates is the set-up

Thanks all
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

You're welcome. It was only around 3 feet to my shed, but I had to add it in for drama, but it was pissing rain. To confirm, there is no shield on my '94. Glad it worked out.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Errhead
Low Miles!

Oddometer: 72
Plastic shield

Both of my '88s came with the little plastic shield behind the horn. It deflects easily so you can sneak wires/cables between it and the frame. My GS is only slightly buried in the corner of the garage. I would be happy to pull my tank and snap some photos for you if it would help out. Shoot me a PM if you want. -mark
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 615
Pics?

Hey did anyone ever happen to have a good pic of your cable routing on a late model R100GS.

Sounds totally obvious but I am trying to figure something out.