Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #91
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Cyborg noob? Hmmm, not so much. He's a seasoned practitioner

Subscribed!
That's 15 minute penalty for misreading the awards: Cyborg got the award for being the first hilarious post, not for being a noob.

Wow its the 30th Dec and two penalties already!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #92
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,180
HEy I have a stupid question, sorry if its in the wrong place:

regarding Mousses: One does not bother to put air in the tires with mousses, right? They simulate 12lbs of pressure, so one would just plug the air valve hole? You also dont really need rimlocks with them, either, right?

Edit: Nm, I got it, thanks

Stagehand screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 06:03 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #93
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
next dumb question, do the cars & trucks have CB / FRS / GMRS / etc radios that they can talk to each other or the ASO (aside from language differences)?
No radios are allowed. They have a satellite tracking system with a built-in sat phone that connects directly to the race organization only (for emergency use only). The racers are not allowed to communicate with their support team during the racing sections (Specials), and they are only allowed help from other racers while in the Specials (no help from their crew). Crew members see them off from the bivouac in the morning, then see them again at the end of the day at the next bivouac. There is no radio or wireless intercom within cars or between vehicles. The cars have a wired intercom between driver and co-driver, but that's all.

BUT, in reality, nearly every racer probably has a cell phone hidden in their pocket "just in case". It's not allowed in the rules, but they don't really check for that.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #94
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
So, during a stage, a car driver who gets stuck in a sand dune can't radio his support truck that is also entered in the race?
Only if the support truck is a RACE truck. And NO, they can't "contact" them, they can only hope to be ahead of their "support" and be SEEN when that support comes by. I'm describing the rules, not what may actually be happening.

Last year Robby Gordon dropped out of the race because he had a mechanical problem and could not call his other Hummer to come with parts.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #95
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Only if the support truck is a RACE truck. And NO, they can't "contact" them, they can only hope to be ahead of their "support" and be SEEN when that support comes by. I'm describing the rules, not what may actually be happening.

Last year Robby Gordon dropped out of the race because he had a mechanical problem and could not call his other Hummer to come with parts.

actually the second driver didnt stop from what I saw.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #96
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
I talked to Steve LaRoza, the co-driver in the second Hummer. He said they were already ahead of Robby at that point because Robby had made a quick stop at a gas station or something to inspect the problem earlier, and they passed Robby but Robby didn't see them, so Robby thought they were still behind when in fact they were ahead.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #97
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,390
This came to the ADV admin email:

Hi

I was trying to post a message on your site but I am not a member.

I am the wife of Jago Pickering, rider 180 in the Dakar.

Here is a tweet message about their robbery. I thought that you might have some readers out watching or riding in the Dakar that might be able to help Toby and Jago in some way. See their website www.dakarteamgb.com for the latest tweets.

Kind regards

Lucy

As if those ups and downs were not bad enough for many to endure, the Desert Racing/Team Dakar GB team of Tobias Younger and Jago Pickering have gone from one extreme to the other in the course of a few hours. From the highest highs of passing through registration cleanly and that feeling of finally clearing most hurdles en route to the adventure of a lifetime to the lowest of lows upon returning from that registration only to realize their rented villa had been broken into, robbing them of crucial riding gear, cameras, laptops, braces, boots, etc…
Very quickly, Tobias Younger tweeted out his contact information for anyone that can lend assistance in helping to get the team to the start line.

As Patsy Quick stated, this is the only photo of some of the missing kit.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #98
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by casiopea View Post
Nothing to thank for, I just thaught it wouldn´t bother to say something about this. Very sorry for your story, me and my brother were very close of being one of those missing people, along with my parents. Fortunately we are all here to help ones that are not, not to be forgotten.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #99
cvlighthouse
keep it in your pants!

Oddometer: 824
Santiago has some major fireworks going off at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Most of you already know of the photo locations. I do not have time to post all here for a while. Here you go. If you post on another thread, please give me credit.
http://cvestal.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...192785_XTBfkvQ
Thanks Chris!

....look for a blue Samurai with a crazy gringo holding a big #167 sign! *No animals were harmed during the making of this post...
cvlighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #100
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,514
Another of Chris' pics:

I love this pic! Ned going through scrutineering, right ahead of Cheleco. Running with the big boys now!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #101
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,514

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #102
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This came to the ADV admin email:

Hi

I was trying to post a message on your site but I am not a member.

I am the wife of Jago Pickering, rider 180 in the Dakar.

Here is a tweet message about their robbery. I thought that you might have some readers out watching or riding in the Dakar that might be able to help Toby and Jago in some way. See their website www.dakarteamgb.com for the latest tweets.

Kind regards

Lucy

As if those ups and downs were not bad enough for many to endure, the Desert Racing/Team Dakar GB team of Tobias Younger and Jago Pickering have gone from one extreme to the other in the course of a few hours. From the highest highs of passing through registration cleanly and that feeling of finally clearing most hurdles en route to the adventure of a lifetime to the lowest of lows upon returning from that registration only to realize their rented villa had been broken into, robbing them of crucial riding gear, cameras, laptops, braces, boots, etc…
Very quickly, Tobias Younger tweeted out his contact information for anyone that can lend assistance in helping to get the team to the start line.

As Patsy Quick stated, this is the only photo of some of the missing kit.

Not sure if it will help, but I tweeted a message to Carlton Kirby who responded back that he'll try to work in a mention of their plight on the first days coverage. Top notch guy and hopefully a raised profile may lead to some help or recovery.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #103
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Firehose engaged.

So where's the best vid coverage if a guy wanted to get his dirtbike homeys together sometime? Versus? Fuel? Speed? Fox?
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #104
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Not sure if it will help, but I tweeted a message to Carlton Kirby who responded back that he'll try to work in a mention of their plight on the first days coverage. Top notch guy and hopefully a raised profile may lead to some help or recovery.
Carlton is the man, I don't know him personally but he sounds like a good bloke who thinks like us. He gets the story right and he likes to follow the privateers as much as the big boys.

Do you know if he follows this thread?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #105
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post

That's how I remember it. And, it seemed that it was (initially) reported that way (And, I seem to remember that Robby was pissed.)

However, that context seemed to (almost mysteriously) disappear, and the story became about the wheel bearing...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote