ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #91
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Cyborg noob? Hmmm, not so much. He's a seasoned practitioner

Subscribed!
That's 15 minute penalty for misreading the awards: Cyborg got the award for being the first hilarious post, not for being a noob.

Wow its the 30th Dec and two penalties already!
__________________
-
-
Dreaming of Dakar
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #92
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,180
HEy I have a stupid question, sorry if its in the wrong place:

regarding Mousses: One does not bother to put air in the tires with mousses, right? They simulate 12lbs of pressure, so one would just plug the air valve hole? You also dont really need rimlocks with them, either, right?


Edit: Nm, I got it, thanks
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.

Stagehand screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 06:03 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #93
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
next dumb question, do the cars & trucks have CB / FRS / GMRS / etc radios that they can talk to each other or the ASO (aside from language differences)?
No radios are allowed. They have a satellite tracking system with a built-in sat phone that connects directly to the race organization only (for emergency use only). The racers are not allowed to communicate with their support team during the racing sections (Specials), and they are only allowed help from other racers while in the Specials (no help from their crew). Crew members see them off from the bivouac in the morning, then see them again at the end of the day at the next bivouac. There is no radio or wireless intercom within cars or between vehicles. The cars have a wired intercom between driver and co-driver, but that's all.

BUT, in reality, nearly every racer probably has a cell phone hidden in their pocket "just in case". It's not allowed in the rules, but they don't really check for that.
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #94
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
So, during a stage, a car driver who gets stuck in a sand dune can't radio his support truck that is also entered in the race?
Only if the support truck is a RACE truck. And NO, they can't "contact" them, they can only hope to be ahead of their "support" and be SEEN when that support comes by. I'm describing the rules, not what may actually be happening.

Last year Robby Gordon dropped out of the race because he had a mechanical problem and could not call his other Hummer to come with parts.
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #95
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Only if the support truck is a RACE truck. And NO, they can't "contact" them, they can only hope to be ahead of their "support" and be SEEN when that support comes by. I'm describing the rules, not what may actually be happening.

Last year Robby Gordon dropped out of the race because he had a mechanical problem and could not call his other Hummer to come with parts.

actually the second driver didnt stop from what I saw.
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #96
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
actually the second driver didnt stop from what I saw.
I talked to Steve LaRoza, the co-driver in the second Hummer. He said they were already ahead of Robby at that point because Robby had made a quick stop at a gas station or something to inspect the problem earlier, and they passed Robby but Robby didn't see them, so Robby thought they were still behind when in fact they were ahead.
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #97
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,390
This came to the ADV admin email:

Hi

I was trying to post a message on your site but I am not a member.


I am the wife of Jago Pickering, rider 180 in the Dakar.


Here is a tweet message about their robbery. I thought that you might have some readers out watching or riding in the Dakar that might be able to help Toby and Jago in some way. See their website www.dakarteamgb.com for the latest tweets.


Kind regards


Lucy


As if those ups and downs were not bad enough for many to endure, the Desert Racing/Team Dakar GB team of Tobias Younger and Jago Pickering have gone from one extreme to the other in the course of a few hours. From the highest highs of passing through registration cleanly and that feeling of finally clearing most hurdles en route to the adventure of a lifetime to the lowest of lows upon returning from that registration only to realize their rented villa had been broken into, robbing them of crucial riding gear, cameras, laptops, braces, boots, etc…
Very quickly, Tobias Younger tweeted out his contact information for anyone that can lend assistance in helping to get the team to the start line.


As Patsy Quick stated, this is the only photo of some of the missing kit.

__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #98
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by casiopea View Post
Nothing to thank for, I just thaught it wouldn´t bother to say something about this. Very sorry for your story, me and my brother were very close of being one of those missing people, along with my parents. Fortunately we are all here to help ones that are not, not to be forgotten.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #99
cvlighthouse
keep it in your pants!
 
cvlighthouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Cali but currently in Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 824
Santiago has some major fireworks going off at the moment!



Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Most of you already know of the photo locations. I do not have time to post all here for a while. Here you go. If you post on another thread, please give me credit.
http://cvestal.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...192785_XTBfkvQ
Thanks Chris!







__________________
....look for a blue Samurai with a crazy gringo holding a big #167 sign! *No animals were harmed during the making of this post...
cvlighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #100
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,514
Another of Chris' pics:

I love this pic! Ned going through scrutineering, right ahead of Cheleco. Running with the big boys now!

__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #101
AceRph
Affluenza Free!
 
AceRph's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Where the stupidest people on earth run things
Oddometer: 24,514


__________________
Equal to all of you of roads and good luck! - krokodil al-kashi

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #102
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing
 
doyle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Off Piste
Oddometer: 22,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This came to the ADV admin email:

Hi

I was trying to post a message on your site but I am not a member.


I am the wife of Jago Pickering, rider 180 in the Dakar.


Here is a tweet message about their robbery. I thought that you might have some readers out watching or riding in the Dakar that might be able to help Toby and Jago in some way. See their website www.dakarteamgb.com for the latest tweets.


Kind regards


Lucy


As if those ups and downs were not bad enough for many to endure, the Desert Racing/Team Dakar GB team of Tobias Younger and Jago Pickering have gone from one extreme to the other in the course of a few hours. From the highest highs of passing through registration cleanly and that feeling of finally clearing most hurdles en route to the adventure of a lifetime to the lowest of lows upon returning from that registration only to realize their rented villa had been broken into, robbing them of crucial riding gear, cameras, laptops, braces, boots, etc…
Very quickly, Tobias Younger tweeted out his contact information for anyone that can lend assistance in helping to get the team to the start line.


As Patsy Quick stated, this is the only photo of some of the missing kit.

Not sure if it will help, but I tweeted a message to Carlton Kirby who responded back that he'll try to work in a mention of their plight on the first days coverage. Top notch guy and hopefully a raised profile may lead to some help or recovery.
__________________
Got Smugmug? Use code HWkDUhHwGv5Tc for a discount.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #103
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer
 
K_N_Fodder's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ten Sleep, WY
Oddometer: 941
Firehose engaged.

So where's the best vid coverage if a guy wanted to get his dirtbike homeys together sometime? Versus? Fuel? Speed? Fox?
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #104
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Not sure if it will help, but I tweeted a message to Carlton Kirby who responded back that he'll try to work in a mention of their plight on the first days coverage. Top notch guy and hopefully a raised profile may lead to some help or recovery.
Carlton is the man, I don't know him personally but he sounds like a good bloke who thinks like us. He gets the story right and he likes to follow the privateers as much as the big boys.

Do you know if he follows this thread?
__________________
-
-
Dreaming of Dakar
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #105
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...
 
WARRIORPRINCEJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: South Central Texas
Oddometer: 9,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
actually the second driver didnt stop from what I saw.




That's how I remember it. And, it seemed that it was (initially) reported that way (And, I seem to remember that Robby was pissed.)

However, that context seemed to (almost mysteriously) disappear, and the story became about the wheel bearing...


.
__________________
I spent all my money on motorcycles, 4X4's, whiskey, and women...The rest I just wasted. (edited to fit/original phrase by "WIBO")

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014