Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
That's the bearing that usually fails. Even with a C clip.

I believe Motobins has intermediate shaft fifth gears. Probably from Seibenrock but I don't know for sure. I have only done it two times but man they were on tight. Bang and the gear only moved the tiniest bit. Same story over and over again until it was off. I highly suspect a good straight pushing press is a big help.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
I've pressed them off before with a 10 tonne press. They start to move around 2 tonnes, they come off easily once you get them moving and keep the pressure on. I wouldn't fancy doing it without a press though.

I knew the gearbox wasn't right but hung on until I got a chance to pull it apart over the winter. Expensive mistake. I've found another 17 fifth gear and a early output shaft with a circlip groove in my stash so it isn't going to be as expensive to sort out as I originally thought.

I think the intermediate gears may be made in the UK. There's a company in Northampton that makes trick gearboxes for airheads for high power engines. They change gear as slick as Jap bikes apparently.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Both of mine were way tighter than you are describing.

I try to tell people all the time. Don't keep riding your F'ed up bike. Pull over. Stop. Get a truck. It will save you a lot of money. When your airplane starts knocking and loosing power, you add power in the hope of finding a safe place to land. When your bike starts making weird noises and/or loosing power, just get off it and get a truck.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Both of mine were way tighter than you are describing.

I try to tell people all the time. Don't keep riding your F'ed up bike. Pull over. Stop. Get a truck. It will save you a lot of money. When your airplane starts knocking and loosing power, you add power in the hope of finding a safe place to land. When your bike starts making weird noises and/or loosing power, just get off it and get a truck.

AWESOME!!!

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Yikes!, it's the "soup du jour"!
Or is that le soup du mort?
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #21
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
If the exterior condition of the trans is an indication of the interior, just toss in the recycling bin and look for another one.
robtg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Come to think of it, I just dismantled an R100RT built in Oct 1983 (84 model), that I was able to ride before hand.
One of the few good things about this wreck was the gear box. Shifted perfectly. Fairly quiet as far as 5 speed goes.
I could be convinced to let loose with it for a certain price.....................
PM if you need it. I'm only a couple hours from L.A. out in Joshua Tree. And MAN is it nice weather at the moment.
69 degrees and sunny. supposed to stay that way for at least a week. I'm performing a wedding on Sunday, so will be in the Park most of the day.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #23
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Come to think of it, I just dismantled an R100RT built in Oct 1983 (84 model), that I was able to ride before hand.
One of the few good things about this wreck was the gear box. Shifted perfectly. Fairly quiet as far as 5 speed goes.
I could be convinced to let loose with it for a certain price.....................
PM if you need it. I'm only a couple hours from L.A. out in Joshua Tree. And MAN is it nice weather at the moment.
69 degrees and sunny. supposed to stay that way for at least a week. I'm performing a wedding on Sunday, so will be in the Park most of the day.
Wow-already making use of that ordination, eh?
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote