Old 12-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #286
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Parc Ferme....

Happy Birthday Deadly Senior.

See SafariBerg's gang has made it thru scrutineering...think I see Rod Faggotter's bad Berg in the background.

What's up with the blue fender on the old school Yamaha scheme in the previous post...somebody grab them a white fender please.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #287
John K
Ambitious but rubbish

Oddometer: 609
Nice work Ted. Thanks for all the photos and reports. Looks like I'll need to add a third screen to my PC setup just for this thread
Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #288
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Thanks for sharing your adventure Deadly!
Many of us wonder what it's like on the pit crew side too, if we can't be in the saddle.
I'm sure it's hard work and about to ramp up dramatically very shortly.

So many great threads to keep on, so little time...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:07 AM   #289
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,729

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 AM   #290
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,747
Thanks for the interest

The agenda for today is pretty laid-back. Riders head to a briefing around noon, then a parade through town to a podium thingy for the crowds. The parade route follows a side street along the ocean for about 10 km's and is bound to be packed. This morning we'll get the bulk of the tools, parts, gear, etc packed into and onto the support truck. I'm hoping to head into town for the afternoon to check out circus atmosphere and the vehicles. There may or may not be a briefing for the support teams that I'll need to attend.

Things start to get serious tonight as the lads start racing tomorrow morning and the crew and I hit the road to the first bivouac. Everyone is in good spirits and ready to get this show on the road.

I'm sure it has been discussed in the F5 thread.....new rule this year is the first engine change is a 15 minute penalty, second is 45. Top end work has no penalty.....so.....can a 450 engine do the Dakar with only top end work or do ya take the penalty and do a swap? Not a big deal for some but for others a 15 penalty is significant.........time will tell, BIG decisions will need to be made by all the top guys

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 03:08 AM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 AM   #291
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
I'm sure it has been discussed in the F5 thread.....new rule this year is the first engine change is a 15 minute penalty, second is 45. Top end work has no penalty.....so.....can a 450 engine do the Dakar with only top end work or do ya take the penalty and do a swap? Not a big deal for some but for others a 15 penalty is significant.........time will tell, BIG decisions will need to be made by all the top guys
Maybe this is why Cyril and Marc are in the same team this year? 'Team decision' to change their engines at the same time once they have pulled a lead on the other riders!? (Presumptuous of me I know!) If they were in different teams the temptation would be to delay a change but the risk is a DNF! Wouldn't look good for KTM so this way they will take the decision away from them!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 AM   #292
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier View Post
Maybe this is why Cyril and Marc are in the same team this year? 'Team decision' to change their engines at the same time once they have pulled a lead on the other riders!? (Presumptuous of me I know!) If they were in different teams the temptation would be to delay a change but the risk is a DNF! Wouldn't look good for KTM so this way they will take the decision away from them!
excellent point
Old 12-31-2011, 05:14 AM   #293
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
excellent point

If I was a betting man I'd lay my money on some top teams doing the entire race with one lower end and multiple top end work...just a hunch.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:16 AM   #294
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier View Post
Lol, you think Cyril joined the KTM team because of a 15 minute engine rule?? Making me laugh and cry at the same time.
You get bigger penalties for speeding alone

Plenty of stuff around why Cyril closed up shop on his own team and they now run together in a 'single' factory.

Internal politics and scheming have started months and months with all scenarios being considered, what tyres for what stage, when to change engine, earlier then Coma, later etc etc.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #295
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If I was a betting man I'd lay my money on some top teams doing the entire race with one lower end and multiple top end work...just a hunch.
Indeed, but i dont think the works 450's can handle it... Ktm had to swap earlier then expcted last year, only Aprilia can do the distance if you ask me. Yammies were changing engine freely... The gap is just going to widen more and more i guess..

Top 2 within 20 minutes, top 5 within 2 hours of the leader and the rest at over 4 hours by the time we reach the finish, no?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:24 AM   #296
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Indeed, but i dont think the works 450's can handle it... Ktm had to swap earlier then expcted last year, only Aprilia can do the distance if you ask me. Yammies were changing engine freely... The gap is just going to widen more and more i guess..

Top 2 within 20 minutes, top 5 within 2 hours of the leader and the rest at over 4 hours by the time we reach the finish, no?
When Fretigne was riding Dakar on his WR 450 he went the whole distance on one engine until Stage 12 but only changed it because he lost all his oil that day. He still got in on no oil though.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 AM   #297
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
When Fretigne was riding Dakar on his WR 450 he went the whole distance on one engine until Stage 12 but only changed it because he lost all his oil that day. He still got in on no oil though.
What year was that then?

What i hear(d) about last year that they went through quite a few engine, before then (yamaha team holland sources) engine were fit, swapped left right and center.. Heading out on the stages swapping engines....
Old 12-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #298
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
My bet is on a gentleman's agreement that the top teams all plan on one engine change on the rest day.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #299
MEGO
Africa Racer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogc View Post
ohh!!! i just love the design on this Yamaha Classic!!!!!!!!
And CLASSIC is also the rider of this YAM : You can see him just center photo, with light green polo: FRANCO PICCO !!!!!!!!!
3RD overall in 1985 DAKAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely amazing to see a piece of Dakar bike history still race (and how fast race!!!)

Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #300
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
What year was that then?

What i hear(d) about last year that they went through quite a few engine, before then (yamaha team holland sources) engine were fit, swapped left right and center.. Heading out on the stages swapping engines....
That was in 2009. I don't know what happened with Yamaha last year.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote