Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #2386
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,763
Hey Doug! Hope to see and meet you and Polly in D.C. in a few weeks. Hang on to a 2x T for me please.
Bob
Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #2387
gambler49
n00b

Oddometer: 3
PM Sent!

PM Sent!
gambler49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #2388
DoctorAbo
friends call me Mitsulas

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktoys2 View Post
I PMed you ... need shipping cost to Greece for one of each t-shirt ................
ε ρε Doug μέxρι τη Πάτρα θα φτάσουν τα μπλουζάκια Dirster
Translation :
wow Doug your Dirster T shirts will be present to Patras (=Greece)

DoctorAbo screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 06:06 AM
DoctorAbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #2389
Shultzie
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Finally signed up!
Doug, I love reading your R.R.s.!
PM sent.
Shultzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #2390
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,690
Woo-Hoo......got my Dirtster shirt today!!!

Thankyou kind Sir!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #2391
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,194
Kinda makes me sad that this thread has turned shirt before the trip got finished.

I do appreciate y'alls supporting the amazing Doug, but really am I the only one who give a shirt your clothing needs.

This thread needs more HD & pictures from the road STAT.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #2392
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Kinda makes me sad that this thread has turned shirt before the trip got finished.

I do appreciate y'alls supporting the amazing Doug, but really am I the only one who give a shirt your clothing needs.

This thread needs more HD & pictures from the road STAT.
You're shirting us. Even the mighty Doug can't live by bread alone: he needs wampum to take on these adventures and a T-shirt sale is a pretty good way to go about it. I'll wear might proudly, cuz the shirt is about as close as I'm gonna get to Magadan -- or a Harley.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #2393
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
You're shirting us. Even the mighty Doug can't live by bread alone: he needs wampum to take on these adventures and a T-shirt sale is a pretty good way to go about it. I'll wear might proudly, cuz the shirt is about as close as I'm gonna get to Magadan -- or a Harley.
+1
LMAO but true.

Send bucks, shirt happens.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #2394
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
the shirt is about as close as I'm gonna get to a Harley.
that's easily fixed, ya know!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #2395
Stuffyyff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
International relations

My $.02 with 49 countries under my belt and 50 to 54 by the end of January is this. I have never, ever, encountered anti-americanism in any country. In Alsace region, a lady was hesitant seeing my 'D' plated Audi with a "Deutsch?" I replied, "Non. American." "ahhhh, American (with a big smile with missing teeth). blah-blah-blah." During which I could not understand. The closest I came to anti-Americanism was in Republica Dominicana last May when I told a kid wearing a Che shirt that Che was a murdered, a thug, a communist, and no one to be proud of. He didn't like that, but many people are brainwashed and know no difference.

French are great people. Thanks to them, as General Washington frequently credited, we were able to become a country. The French financed us, they conducted a naval blockade, and many civilians and military personnel joined the Continental Army. Our founding documents' thinking was built upon French Enlightenment thinking.

Be aware, be good, and try to say even if horribly some of the language in the country you're visiting. Eat the local foods. Don't be loud and disrespectful (definition varies by country). In France, start with a 'Bonjour' even if you know nothing else. After all; we in the U.S. consider it rude if someone starts speaking to us in another language. I hope that causes a little light bulb to go brighter in a brain somewhere.

Thanks for your excellent RR as always, Ambassador RTWDoug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Yes me too, hope to meet you one day, Doug. If you actually make your WW2 tour, as I'm really interested in this part of history (for many reasons I can't tell here), as I'm leaving in Brittany very near the Normandy limit, I could welcome you at home and eventually be your guide for some interesting sites. The desembarking (D-day) occured not far from here, and we still have some places stayed as it was then, and some museums to visit (especialy the para-troopers museum in Ste Mère Eglise), and some formers german submarines bases in Brittany.

For Johnny 55, I didn't want nor to start WW3 (France and the US have allways been allies through the centuries). But just wanted to answer to put that clear, and to say that in France the entire people is not a all anti-american. Just a little point to clear-up, when Doug says he had some problems around Paris, I'm not very surprised ... I mean, that in the rest of France we don't really like parisians, because they think that outside Paris, we are all ... rednecks. But then, compared to them I'm really proud to be a redneck. Paris is not France, and France is not only Paris, fortunately !

Welcome to all riders and bikers in our country, ride safe, chill, and have pleasure.
For those who would like to discover Brittany or Normandy, don't hesitate to contact me.
Stuffyyff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #2396
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffyyff View Post

My $.02 with 49 countries under my belt and 50 to 54 by the end of January is this. I have never, ever, encountered anti-americanism in any country.

Be aware, be good, and try to say even if horribly some of the language in the country you're visiting. Eat the local foods. Don't be loud and disrespectful (definition varies by country). In France, start with a 'Bonjour' even if you know nothing else. After all; we in the U.S. consider it rude if someone starts speaking to us in another language. I hope that causes a little light bulb to go brighter in a brain somewhere.

Thanks for your excellent RR as always, Ambassador RTWDoug.
Nicely put, Stuffy.

Doug's presentation at the Motorcycle Show was divided into separate topics, my favorite part was the section titled, "The People". And the best part of that section was when Doug said people in less capitalistic countries are always friendly and ready to help. They don't have the means, or don't care about it, and are used to working together.

Words to live by.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 04:34 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #2397
Yannick
Celtic Neighbour

Oddometer: 57
I totally agree with you, Stuffyyff. The problem is that people can be brainwashed in so many ways, and it's so hard to make them face the truth.
Not everyone have the luck to be open minded, or the chance to become it. So let's keep travelling, and discover "the others" who sometimes are not so different from us.
Yannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #2398
gambler49
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
+1 on that. I got to meet Doug and Polly yesterday, and got my shirts. It was great meeting both of you, and I'm glad to contribute to the cause. Ride on!

Rick

gambler49 screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 03:36 PM
gambler49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #2399
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffyyff View Post
Thanks to them, as General Washington frequently credited, we were able to become a country. The French financed us, they conducted a naval blockade, and many civilians and military personnel joined the Continental Army. Our founding documents' thinking was built upon French Enlightenment thinking.
All true, but one must not forget that Britain was the principal fly in Napoleon’s conquering ointment and that the fledgling USA was then the principal thorn in Britain’s side. While French help was nice, it was borne of self-interest -- an interest that wasn't all that laudable. General Washington spoke well of the French, but I suspect had no illusions re their motives.
In any case, whatever debt was ever owed to France or its people, it was paid in full and then some when they fled from the Nazi's like quail flee from a hound and were restored to their country by lots of American boys, lots of whom didn't get to come home.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #2400
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726
Quote:

All true, but one must not forget that Britain was the principal fly in Napoleon’s conquering ointment and that the fledgling USA was then the principal thorn in Britain’s side. While French help was nice, it was borne of self-interest -- an interest that wasn't all that laudable. General Washington spoke well of the French, but I suspect had no illusions re their motives.

In any case, whatever debt was ever owed to France or its people, it was paid in full and then some when they fled from the Nazi's like quail flee from a hound and were restored to their country by lots of American boys, lots of whom didn't get to come home.
Yea, I'm sure that when Doug rides around, planning his next border crossing, that is what he's thinking about.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote