Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #31
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Check out Highway Dirtbikes for the integrated turn signal handguards.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...f=turn_signals

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #32
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,156
ht oil coolers

http://www.ht-racing.com/htrbilletoilcoolerkitr.aspx

good product below average customer service IMHO

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #33
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,052
KTM Hardparts tank

Old 12-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #34
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridetosea View Post
I often say there is nothing rarer than an original thought. I knew if I looked long enough I would find someone on the net thinking as I am. I want a truly light weight adventure touring bike. I have narrowed my search down to the 500 EXC. I was thinking about putting soft bags on it and I found this thread. I read the 500 exc? Thread and Harcus and a few others seems to have a lot of great ideas and I am happy to think we are like minded. Thanks for your input. I do have a few questions.
My KTM dealer has two 500 EXC's on the floor. Is the price negotiable or does everyone pay MSRP? What is a good deal? What should I ask for?
Second, does anyone make an integrated, hand gaurd, front turn signal mirror or is this my invention? Back of hand guard is LED turn signal like modern sports bikes have on the back sides of the mirrors. Make the inside of the hand guards out of reflective convex plastic to act as a mirror. My F 150 has a convex plastic mirror on the bottom portion of the side mirrors that work well. Not concerned about how effective the mirror is just trying to check the box for two mirrors for the police man. I am a minimalist at heart. This would clean up the DS parts hanging off my “dirt bike”. I think one part doing three things is better and saves weight. IMHO Nothing looks worse than turn signals and mirrors hanging off any bike.

Pricing

Pricing on a new bike is tricky. Tricky because there are several element to the price of the bike...

a. the price the dealer pays - Only the dealer & KTM know. KTM will negotiate w/ a dealer depending on what quty they move.

b. the list price - Not always clear what this includes.

c. shipping - Add $200-400 - Highly variable since most dealers ship more than one bike at a time, truck rates vary, fuel costs, etc

4. dealer prep - Another $200 - 400

e. parts discount - my dealer provides a 10 -20% percen discount on parts to hose who buy from them

f. And then there are farkles - what can you get your dealer to throw in for no cost or lo cost.

Bottom line - Have your dealer break it all down for you so you know.

Additionally, the market impacts price. A dealer here in Salt Lake may not be willing to drop his price much but a dealer in Rigby, ID may drop his price simply because Salt Lake has more traffic. That is happening right now around here. It appears that the northern dealers are hurting more because of the economy. History show there are always bargains out there but how far are you willing to go & who do you want to irritate.

But if you buy from the out of town dealer, you won't get the parts discount...or whatever.

There is something to be said for supporting your local dealer....and he may support you.

Handguard / mirror

There is nothing exactly as you requested. There is... http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

They are close to what you mentioned but pricey.

Current rides - '03 ST1300 74k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #35
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
$8,800 is a great price for the 500 exc. $300 bucks less for the three fiddy.

Priced this last weekend from prominent Ktm dealer.

Good luck.
08' KTM 300 xcw
Harley Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #36
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
shopping for a deal

I saw on the net that the MSRP for a 500exc was $9,599? I think that was close to the off the cuff rough est. the sales guy gave me. I am doing my homework as I always do, then go into purchase with as much knowledge as I can. $8,800 sounds a lot better. Anyone willing to share what they paid? It is so much easier buying a truck. Dealer invoice is all over the net. Start there and go up a few hundred, done deal.
I do want to support my local dealer but that doesn't mean they have to hit a home run on the bike deal as I will be spending money in their shop on all the gear required to go from street ridding to off road. I am very grateful I found this site and this thread.
I live in Washington and the state law on off road motorcycles being plated changed and goes into effect 1/1/12. It is not clear to my dealer just how the details work out but it sounds like it will be possible to plate a 500 XC W in January. If that is the case would it be better to go with the XC W and add the lights and horn as opposed to desmogging and regearing the exc? My plans are to replace the mirrors, turn signals and hand guards anyway so this might be a less expensive route to the same bike in the end. I read a few comments on the 500 EXC ?, thread on this very subject but it died out. Seems WA state riders might now have a choice?
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #37
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Maybe. I plan to acquire the 13 L KTM tank soon. We shall see.
Harcus - just a note, the 13 liter KTM hardparts tank with wings that I tried (on the 525) will still allow the radiators to be shoved backwards a couple inches by branches and such, however it does protect them from being crushed quite well from crashes.

Ridetosea - Thats the beauty of this website, no matter what your pervesion (land yacht BMW GS's to trials bikes), there's people on here suffering the same disease. A great place for insight and opinions for biking across the board. Best of luck wiht your 500 search.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #38
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,112
I was going to get some radiator guards, but I think I'm going to wait until I get a larger tank to see what kind of room I have for the guards. I don't need the radiator guard rubbing a hole into the tank...... That would be real surprise out in the middle of nowhere....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #39
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Harcus - just a note, the 13 liter KTM hardparts tank with wings that I tried (on the 525) will still allow the radiators to be shoved backwards a couple inches by branches and such, however it does protect them from being crushed quite well from crashes.

Ridetosea - Thats the beauty of this website, no matter what your pervesion (land yacht BMW GS's to trials bikes), there's people on here suffering the same disease. A great place for insight and opinions for biking across the board. Best of luck wiht your 500 search.
That is my suspicion. Mine has not yet arrived to confirm. But that is why I built the radiator braces in the manner I did. They are "anti sweep" as much as I could manage. Also should fit the 13 L. If the braces interfere they will be modified.

Current rides - '03 ST1300 74k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #40
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oAbRmAxrv8 love this thing, so much power, can someone tell me what steering damper to buy, never have one but i think this is the bike to have one....very fast.
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #41
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomark39 View Post

very nice, can you show us a picture from the top to see how wide the tank is between your legs. thanks!
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 AM   #42
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornillo View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oAbRmAxrv8 love this thing, so much power, can someone tell me what steering damper to buy, never have one but i think this is the bike to have one....very fast.
Slaven's racing has a Scott with all you need for about $430

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #43
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,052
Cool2 Tank views.....

Old 01-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #44
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Progress

Sorry about the slow progress on this thread. Too many projects going on.

I have finally finished the proto of the new headlight mask. This mask uses the lights from ADVMONSTER.COM. Beautiful LEDS with many lumens of light. The lights are individually adjustable. Looks like this...

Front view...

Back view...

Bike view...

Trail view...

Currently wired so the top light is on for the low beam & both are on for Hi beam. These are 3 LED lights at 1500 lumens per. Four LED lights at 2000 lumens are available with a new higher output light coming soon.

So far, so good.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #45
SteveO
Huh???

So, is the light housing plastic or fiberglass?
i had a Lynx (fiberglass) fairing that didn't do too
well in crashes......
plastic seems much more durable.....