Oddometer: 1,167
Simply Outstanding!

What great pics.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #4412
bluemtnridr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Dave! you are a bad influence on me. Since leaving you I have replaced my nonfunctioning crapper stove with a primus omni fuel. Lisa just ordered a kermit chair(with cup holder).

LDF! PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T NEED TASSLES!!

JD
bluemtnridr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #4413
corsair4360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Great Report (as usual)

Your ride report is awesome, the narration good the pictures great to excellent. You clearly have an artists eye for scenes. The panoramic picture in post 4004 is excellent.
corsair4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #4414
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
This is awesome

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #4415
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Monday, Sept. 12, 2011. M8-day#3

Today we woke up in a chilly fog. We'd talked about heading back to the visitor's center and riding out to the glacier, maybe hiking a bit to see it. But our main objective was to head south on the Icefields Parkway to Banff, check it out, gas up, and then double back about 30 miles to 93 and head west into the Kootenay's where we'd finally be done with pavement for awhile by jumping on something called "Settler's Road".

And here are the elevations:

there would be plenty to see along the way.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #4416
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I remember

it being cold.

and in the hour or so it took us to make coffee and oatmeal, pack and gear up, the sun would come out, then a fog would pass over... I couldn't figure out if the weather was coming or going. Life in the mountains, I guess.

We rode back to see the glacier, but it was a total white-out beyond the parking lot.

Instead, we decided to head on down the road, and stop in the first lodge / gas stop we came to to warm up.

Is it sunny? is it cloudy?

Two minutes later:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #4417
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The ride south

alternated between warm sun,

and pockets of icy cold air.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #4418
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When we got to

"The Crossing", our fingers were numb. The morning coffee had filtered though, and we were ready for a little warm break.

Ron provided the first real 'Doh moment of the Tura I'. We'll just say the big KTM is easier to pick up than it looks.

Inside, the coffee wasn't that great, and the gumballs were hard as rocks.

back outside, the fog was dancing around the peaks... really visually intriguing.

back on the road it was more of the same, but quickly burning off.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #4419
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Why I hate mondays

I had spec'ed out about 2800 miles for M8. Entirely unrealistic. Our daily mileage would have to be a bit over 200 miles, with no re-routes, no days off, no delays. Up here in Canada, we'd been able to make that pace just fine, between the easy dirt and the pavement, but I was guessing that when we got to ID, we'd have some sub-100mi. days. No worries, because the nice thing about our planned route was that for the last 4 days or so we'd never be more than a day's ride away from our destination at Idaho Falls, so if we had to cut short our planned route, it would be easy to do.

Ron and Dave were conspiring on their intercoms to show us some of the touristy highlights of the Icefields Parkway. They were both aware of our self-imposed time constraints, and how badly we wanted to get down to Idaho and the more technical riding that we've missed for the last few Mobius'es, but I think they were both a little disappointed that they couldn't show us the Athabasca glacier; they'd both seen it years back as kids, if I recall them telling us, when it was much bigger, you know, before the global financial meltdown.

So when we heard over the squawk box "hey, lets turn in here, we want to show you something" I figured it would be good.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #4420
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Bow summit overlook

WOW! what a view. We took lots of pitchers, both Dave & I pulled out the big guns:

I stitched the following pano, which is linked to the original sized version if you click it.

We found a tourist to snap a group photo of us:

I also grabbed an IR pano (and clickable for a larger version too)

Old 01-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #4421
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rolling along,

The scenery was almost overwhelming. Really impressive! BUT, also entirely accessible by RV, camper van, and tour bus. That point was driven home at our next stop, Lake Louise.

what a buzz kill. We'd experienced this sensation before, most notably at Bryce Canyon, in UT. Both places were beautiful,

but I think we're hooked on remoteness. What you can't appreciate in the above photo is the scene on the shore. My consolation was to engage in some street photography, which is always fun.

I have no clue who these people are.

but they were posing,

so I took their pitchers.

I have made up names for them all... they're my new friends.

Except for her, she was pointing and saying my pants were too short.

What does she know anyway?

Tell me we don't stick out like sore thumbs:

Old 01-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #4422
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Getting ready to roll

Our next stop would be Banff,

we rode around a bit, and figured we'd pick up some groceries, have a bite, we needed to restock adult beverage supply...

The intercoms were put to good use,

and we decided our first stop would be groceries.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #4423
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This would be

our last, biggest, best stocked town for a good long while, and we split up to do errands. LDF went to the liquor store, Dave went to an outfitter to get a part for his stove, and Ron and I went to the Ranger station to see if we could confirm that Settler's Road was open, no forest fires, and maybe figure out where camping could be found.

There was some talk of fancy restaurants, and art galleries, and while it looked like a cool, happenin' town,

we were on a mission. So after lunch, we saddled up, and hit the road.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #4424
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We hightailed

north, backtracking,

until we could cut west again, into British Columbia,

following the Vermillion River

'till we could pick up some dirt again on Settler's Rd.

(the big bikes air'ed up & down, meanwhile, we run moderate pressures and rimlocks everywhere. )
Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #4425
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We followed

Settler's Road, and when we came to this sign,

we decided that Horseshoe falls would be our destination du jour.

it wasn't long before we found the access road:

well, this looks promising.

and we were suitably rewarded!