Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #4426
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
So, this turned out

to be a Mobius top-5 campsite.

we (well just me, actually) rode right down onto the beach, and since it had sufficiently warmed up, we went for a swim.

(well, a bird bath, actually)

there were fish in the water,

but when I tried to use the underwater feature of the P&S, all I got was a nice photo of the water color, saturated with the sunlight.

Finished with bodily hygiene, we set the tents up to fumigate.

we set up a fire ring, and enjoyed the remains of the day.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #4427
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Nice!!!

jglow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #4428
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It looked like

in the winter you could drive across to the other side,

I went for a little walk to take some pichers before we lost all the light.

It felt great to be off the bikes, just walking through the woods, smelling the earth, and listening to the water.

What a great spot!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #4429
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back on the beach,

it was time for cocktails and appetizers, we'd picked up some smoked salmon, pepperoni sticks, cheese, and fresh veggies,

Dave's stove was back in working order, so he offered to cook the tortellini. While that was going on, we just kicked back and enjoyed each other's company, and the beauty surrounding us.

The tortellini were delish!

We ended the day with a cozy campfire. Sometime in the night the full moon rose and boy, was it bright:

What a great day!

Still on pace, with a 40 mile buffer. I'd take care of that tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #4430
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

I stitched the following pano, which is linked to the original sized version if you click it.

Wow. That pic is amazing when clicked

It is HUGE and the detail is crystal clear.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #4431
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

The tortellini were delish!
And now I have an addiction to dark chocolate with sea salt

That was a great day
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #4432
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The joy of full frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
Wow. That pic is amazing when clicked

It is HUGE and the detail is crystal clear.
Thanks, it makes me think it's worth the delay on the ride report to spend the time getting the photos the way I remember how things looked. The stitched .tiff file has even more resolution zoomed it --you can see pine needles on the trees across the lake, but the file size is so big it needs it's own hard drive.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #4433
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
And now I have an addiction to dark chocolate with sea salt

That was a great day
Indeed it was. BTW, Feel free to fill in the blanks in the storytelling, add your photos, or poach some of ours. Happy New Year's to you and Wanitta et al.

About that dark chocolate and sea salt... There are F5ar worse addictions to haF5e.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 06:58 PM
Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #4434
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
I was going to let it slide by...

but I have to remind you that the KTM wasn't the only sleepy one, the Black Beauty had a little rest on the beach (no photo evidence) It was my first D'oh! moment.

We looked like Stormtroopers amongst all the tourists

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #4435
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011. M8-day#4

[I'm gonna do my best to knock of one day of M8 ride report each day, but that means, just like M8 mileage, we'll need to pad some extra miles early 'cause next week will likely be busy.]

Today was the day we (at least I) really started to get into the groove of the Tura I'. You'll see. It was also the day that Ron left us to head back up north to be near his family for a certain important upcoming birth. What I remember most, however, is that the morning was COLD.

We stood around the fire pit, pretending that it was still emanating warmth, and since it was Ron's last day rolling Mobius, we presented him with his official Mobius karma pin.

Dave, LDF and I would continue heading south, but then mostly west past Kimberly, across a ferry on the Kootenay Lake, and via Nelson towards the border and the official Tura I'Doh.

and as the elevations show, we were still crossing mountains:

Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #4436
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

If you look closely

at the above elevation chart, you will see that the mileage is 174 miles. However, at the end of the day, you will note that our mileage (mine, anyway) totaled 254miles. How can that be possible?

Allow me to demonstrate:

Since I'm the only one who rode all the way down onto the beach, I have to ride my bike up... not wanting to be unsafe, I gear up first... my armor, boots, gloves, helmet...

We finish packing the bikes up at the parking area/ turnaround:

We leave, in good spirits all around...

as usual, I ride sweep.

we get to the main road, and we say our good-byes, and Ron turns right, back the way we came,

and we watch him roll north, towards home.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #4437
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The three of us turn

left.

and start tearing it up on some of the nicest riding that we've done since, well, since M4 or 5.

and except for the brief period in the video above, I'm bringing up the rear. As I mention in the video, it's 38miles from our campsite to Canol Flats where we'll gas up.

the riding is awesome, as is the scenery,

and other than having to cut through an active lumbar facility to get into town,

we arrive and gas up without incident.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #4438
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

While I'm paying for gas inside,

I pick up a couple of packs of honey roasted peanuts, 'cause I like honey roasted peanuts for snacks. I hand them to LDF and say "Hey, could you put these in my CamelBak for me?", and turn my back to face her.

As I do so, I feel a knot in my stomach. Just as she says "where's your CamelBak?" I say "SHIT!!!"

"It's back at the campsite, down at the beach."
Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #4439
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I am pissed,

but mostly disappointed in myself. Attention to detail. It's something I pride myself in. And I totally blew it. I pleaded with the two of them to hang tight and I'd go back, but they would have none of it. "All for one, and one for all"...

In the end, we compromised, and allowed that I would hightail it back to the campsite at fast (but safe) speed, and they would backtrack at a more leisurely pace, so if I had a breakdown or something, eventually they'd catch up with me, otherwise, I'd reconnoiter with them on my way back.

Well, I'd just have to make the best of it.

PINNED!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #4440
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

38 miles later,

after a "spirited" pace,

"I was trying to channel Neduro... thinking about doin' the Dakar... How kick-ass that's gonna be?" Did I really say that?

I grab the CamelBak,

and am a bit curious how many miles I put on them, given that I've really been pushing it.

Turns out it was 13 miles on the way back that I met them. Which, if my math is correct, means that I rode 38+13=51miles to their 38-13=25miles, or twice as fast. They claim they were riding at a normal pace. I most certainly was not.

It was fun to push for 50 miles, but be clear, that pace is not sustainable for us on Mobius, neither for my own mental concentration, nor for the bikes. It's a whole lot more wear and tear on the engine and suspension, and the risk of binning is a whole order of magnitude higher.

Hat's off to the racers who maintain that pace mile after mile, day after day. Go Ned & Jonah, and all the rest!

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 08:08 PM