Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #4441
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemtnridr View Post

LDF! PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T NEED TASSLES!!

JD
trust me JD, you can leave those tassles behind. It's all a personal preference. I still don't get it ( although Im still hearing an ongoing rave about the aerodynamics)........

Happy New Year

Francine
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #4442
NightShadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Some great M trips - spent most of the day reading. The editorial and pics is fantastic.
Great work. Looking forward to more.
NightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #4443
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I pick up a couple of packs of honey roasted peanuts, 'cause I like honey roasted peanuts for snacks. I hand them to LDF and say "Hey, could you put these in my CamelBak for me?", and turn my back to face her.

As I do so, I feel a knot in my stomach. Just as she says "where's your CamelBak?" I say "SHIT!!!"

"It's back at the campsite, down at the beach."
i thought SOP was to lean the camelbak on the front wheel so as not to leave without it?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #4444
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:
I pick up a couple of packs of honey roasted peanuts, 'cause I like honey roasted peanuts for snacks. I hand them to LDF and say "Hey, could you put these in my CamelBak for me?", and turn my back to face her.

As I do so, I feel a knot in my stomach. Just as she says "where's your CamelBak?" I say "SHIT!!!"

"It's back at the campsite, down at the beach."
Did that this summer, went to go watch the Space Shuttle launch and left without it. By the time I realized it it was impossible to go back, so $100 for a new bag and whatever crap I had in it was history.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #4445
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Sop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
i thought SOP was to lean the camelbak on the front wheel so as not to leave without it?
YES! That IS the SOP. But because I sort of geared up to bring the bike up off the beach, and then packed, I never went back down there to police the camping area before leaving (which is also SOP), AND when LDF and I are riding together our usual SOP is to each ride in front of the other for a "loose strap, dangling crap" inspection, which for whatever reason we didn't do. I'm pretty sure either LDF or Dave would have noticed that I didn't have my camelbak if they'd ridden behind me for more than 5 seconds. Just goes to show you why developing routines and sticking to them is so important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
...so $100 for a new bag and whatever crap I had in it was history.
If only it was just the bag and some peanuts. Inside was: my passport, and the two small bags on the belt contained the M9, and 3 lenses. Lets just say that leaving it behind was NOT an option.

This episode was my biggest (but not only) contribution in putting the 'Doh into the Tura I, thank you very much.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4446
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:

If only it was just the bag and some peanuts. Inside was: my passport, and the two small bags on the belt contained the M9, and 3 lenses. Lets just say that leaving it behind was NOT an option.

This episode was my biggest (but not only) contribution in putting the 'Doh into the Tura I, thank you very much.
Ah, yes that would be an expensive and real PITA mistake not to go back. My problem is the roads were closed to two-way traffic for a few hours, and by then it was a safe bet that it would be gone.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #4447
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back in Canol Flats

I was detecting the aroma of ethylene glycol near my engine. I had some moisture on my right boot, and my radiator fluid was a little low. I just figured it had overheated during my fantasy Dakar special stage, so I topped it off, bought a can of stop-leak and antifreeze just to be safe.

We'd squandered half the day, and only had 38 miles to show for it. We grabbed a bite, gassed up, and contemplated our options.

Our primary objective for M8 was to ride as much of the Tour of Idaho trail as we could. And while I had painstakingly routed as much dirt as I could to get to its northern terminus, we decided to hop on some pavement, bypassing a longer dirt loop of questionable quagmire potential, and make our way south, especially since we'd need to catch a ferry along the way.

Fortunately, it didn't suck.

and before long we were getting dirty again.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 09:43 AM
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #4448
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Inside was: my passport, and the two small bags on the belt contained the M9, and 3 lenses. Lets just say that leaving it behind was NOT an option.
YIKES! Yes, that was definitely worth the ride back.

I know the feeling. I was in the Army about a year and a half and was on may way back from leave (so I guess I was something like 20), I left a brand new Canon AE-1 on a bus-stop bench in Germany. Going back to get it was a complete waste of time - didn't even try - didn't even know HOW to get back to that bench. That camera was my pride and joy (my first big purchase at the PX). I was crushed.

Glad you were able to retrieve it.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #4449
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Because of the radiator

LDF took point, and Dave rode sweep.

We were on St. Mary's FS road, and it was sweet.

We soon got to the cut-off for Gray Creek Pass road. I'm not sure this was the wisest course given the wet spot on the radiator, but hey, that's why it's called ADVenture rider, and not ComfortZone rider.

Besides, I had this guy covering my back, and while he looks all mild-mannered and such, he's a crack wrench, troubleshooter extraordinaire, and possesses a molecular knowledge of internal combustion engine additives second to none.

I wasn't worried. LDF, on the other hand, was a basket case*.

We started our climb over the pass:

*That's not a dig. It's her role. The voice of reason. The articulator of the worst-case scenario. The worrier. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #4450
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Nearly got run off

the road by this guy. Bow hunting season was in full swing.

It was nice riding, and not too steep, at least not yet.

from my position in the middle, I was able to get some nice shots of both of the others riding.

I have the TrailTech vapor, so I could monitor engine temps, and they were cool, and I'd stop every few miles and sniff. Seemed to be holding.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #4451
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,704
Really enjoying the latest chapter...

of the Mobius saga. Some funny stuff and awesome pics. Keep it coming!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #4452
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We started to climb in earnest.

Waiting for LDF & Dave around a switchback: You can still see a pocket of snow in the upper right corner.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #4453
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
DR. Rock said:
Quote:
Inside was: my passport, and the two small bags on the belt contained the M9, and 3 lenses. Lets just say that leaving it behind was NOT an option.
Is little details like this that really make a good RR that you can sink your teeth into. Sorry, Doc that you had to admit your Faux Pas (and your humanity ) before the whole ADVrider community, but it really does you and your RR credit. This is something very possible in the realm of International travel.
It is one of the reasons that I so love Berserker's Angola, Angola - a tale of “três cavaleiros” thread... (http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=659173&page=3) He admits in the RR that he rode 150km through the desert of Namibia without his passport and then had to backtrack, cross a river twice to get more fuel and then ride to re-join his mates.
(GREAT Read!! - 5x)

I am sure that Berserker more that anyone can appreciate “channeling Neduro” ! (classic!)

I am glad you found the camelback and your “booty” unscathed! We all need challenges like this occasionally to keep our ego in check.

DR. Rock said:
Quote:
*That's not a dig. It's her role. The voice of reason. The articulator of the worst-case scenario. The worrier. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
I am thankful that LDF is there to act as your “guardian angel”! Great RR! You guys Rock!!

p.s.- geez doc, IR too!? You're raising the bar on photo equipment for "little bike" rides. I'm still thinking that the Lumix GF1 was additional weight...but nice! enjoy your work!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV

Tall Mike screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 11:12 AM Reason: photo-cudos
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #4454
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Wink

Quote:
I wasn't worried. LDF, on the other hand, was a basket case*.

Glad you clarified that.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #4455
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Near the top of the pass

I pulled off for a break. Here's Dave setting himself up for one of his moves. He's set his brain to remember nothing, and is re-locating some medication he needs to somewhere "safe". It's not as easy as you think pulling off these bone-head moves.

My engine temps were starting to rise, and I was getting that antifreeze smell again. On close inspection, I could see there was some steam coming off the right rad.

We let it cool to the point that I could refill, and we threw some stop-leak.

We'll see.