User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #4456
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Cooler coming down

It seemed to be holding, or at least not getting any worse. This was some awesome riding, and I highly recommend the Gray Creek Pass road for a great time.

At the bottom we picked up pavement,

and headed over to the ferry to take us across Kootenay Lake to Balfour.

The good news is that we were nearly first in line. Bad news is that there wasn't another ferry for over an hour. No matter, there was an ice cream shop, and we could use the stretch.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #4457
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Scenes waiting for the ferry

We met this dude who reminded me to write down his name 'cause by the time I wrote the ride report I'd forget it. "Nah, I'll remember," I said.

He was riding a Vulcan he'd put a lot of miles on. From the bay area.

We checked the maps, and even though the weather seemed nice, we decided to stay indoors in Nelson, BC.

It was getting late in the day, and this would allow us to get an early start and make up some of the miles I'd lost us.

Didn't take long to load, and before long we were underway.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #4458
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Scenes from the ferry

Honest, I didn't see the couple in the RV when I took the photo, but how funny is that? Binoculars, no less!

This could be a poster for dirt-bike anti-hassle tassels

Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #4459
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a short paved run

to Nelson. We held off our V-rod friend as long as possible, then let him pass.

He had told us about a cheap motel outside the center where he was staying, but we decided we wanted to walk to a decent dinner place,

we got gas first, and Dave gently placed his wallet in his lap (not his pocket, ) while we rode around town, eventually settling on the

where we had a coupla vintage rooms in a renovated historic landmark, and could walk to get some thai (?) food in a bar that promised live music, but it didn't start until late.

Why did we pick the Hume, well, they had designated motorcycle parking where there was among others, a nighthawk parked with its parking headlight on. . Our kind of place.

Dave found his wallet when he stood up to get off his bike. Whew.

Stats for day #4:

Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #4460
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2011. M8-day#5

We got up early. So we'd be at the complimentary breakfast right when the opened. Of course we neglected to account for crossing the time line, so we had to wait for an hour. . Nothing like starting the day on the wrong foot. I think we were finally ready to tackle the Tura I'Doh.

Our route today would take us down to the border on pavement, then clip NE Washington, where we'd enter ID from the west, and head north to the northern-most drivable challenge point on the TID and then start heading south, one challenge point at a time.

it would be our first sub-200 mile day, with tighter, more technical riding, and bigger elevation changes. Game on.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #4461
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Another banner day,

weather-wise. We rolled though the town of Salmo,

and over the river of Salmo.

a few twisties later,

and we pulled up to the border for scrutineering.

"No, we don't have bear spray. Why, are there bears?"

If felt good to be back in the land of mpg (sorry, Dave, but kpl was starting to mess with my head.) In the bathroom there was a funhouse mirror which I though was somehow symbolic.

Didn't get a pic of the two hippie kids having their over-stuffed crapmobile torn apart by the border patrol. All they found was a half-drunk bottle of merlot under the seat that they were probably using as salad dressing. We saw them later at our next gas stop, so I know they didn't get arrested.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #4462
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A short detour

to refuel. It was going to push our limits of range to the next opportunity.

We gassed up at Metaline, WA

which didn't seem much of a town, but it had everything we needed.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4463
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back across the river,

and into the maze of FS roads. This was it, the last of the pavement for awhile.

Yeah, baby.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #4464
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was a little

apprehensive,

I'd routed us to get to the top of the TID from the west,

instead of the east, because we wouldn't have to divert so far south,

but to be honest, I wasn't sure these roads actually went all the way through across the border.

it was some great riding, I'll say that. Just hope we wouldn't have to backtrack, 'cause it'd be a long go-around.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #4465
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the top of a nice hill climb

we stopped to take in the view,

check the radiator,

de-fleece,

and feast on adventure.

then it was kickstands up, and wheels rolling.

that's how we roll.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #4466
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rut row

Actually, that was a good sign, as it corresponded with the mileage I had to get to the top of the Tura I'Doh. Looks like my routing was gonna get us through.

and sure enough, 24 miles later...

So we claimed our first challenge point. Now, I hope everyone realizes that we are NOT taking this seriously as a Tour of Idaho attempt.

But the Tura I'Doh... we mean business.

We're not complete idiots; we weren't about to jump our bikes over that shark, I mean log just to move them 50 ft. closer to the barricade. We were happy to forego the Tour of Idaho point. But we sure scored 1 for the Tura I'.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #4467
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We took a few pitchers,

got ourselves turned around, and headed for the next challenge point.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #4468
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
A few more....

Rider at the ferry

A few more at the "gate"

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #4469
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Wow what a great RR, I just spent the better half of today reading through much of it and wishing I could be doing it. At your leisure would you mind talking a little about the maintence of the bike other then normal ware stuff like tires, oil, chains ect. Have you had to do anything to the engines? What type of mileage are on these bikes? Thanks for such a good report, it has made for great reading and I will continue to follow it.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #4470
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
...At your leisure would you mind talking a little about the maintence of the bike other then normal ware stuff like tires, oil, chains ect. Have you had to do anything to the engines? What type of mileage are on these bikes? Thanks for such a good report, it has made for great reading and I will continue to follow it.
In short, as little maintenance as possible . That said, we take time at the beginning and end of each section (2-3000miles) to at least change the oil.

If you check out the posts near the beginning and end of each section that'll cover about 90% of what we've done on the bikes -- tires, chains, sprockets, brake pads. Otherwise if we have a breakdown, or a planned rest day, we take the opportunity to do some PM, and tackle those niggly little things that aren't right but you can live with -- brake lights and heated grips burnt out, etc.

Every night and AM I try to jiggle and inspect at least a few fasteners. The bikes had 3-5k miles on them when we started, and we've put on around 20k.

The DRZ's have been incredibly reliable. We don't push them Dakar-hard, but that said, anytime we ask them to perform, they don't complain.