ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Add the adjoining Virginia Counties to the Boundries
Yes 9 69.23%
No 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #61
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,102
.. Wanted to have the new tag posted this afternoon but picked up a nail and had to nurse it back home ..

Made it back in time to pack up the family and head to the in- laws ..

I did get two options spots and some pics, so I'll pick one when I get home tonight so it'll be ready for the morning .. or a late night ninja grab ..

Sent from RevBill's iPhone using Tapatalk .. Ride Blessed y'all ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #62
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

.. okay then ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPARKER1817 View Post
I like having Rowan and eastern Iredell. If anyone tries to tag in Cabarrus they will probably be kilt and that will take care of that. I don't have a problem cutting out Montgomery, Cabarruss and Stanley. After all it is North Central.
.. it would look like this then ..

.. everyone chime in ..
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #63
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
Perfect, I like it
Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #64
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Tag #6 ..

.. here we go .. had a great day out banging around Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin, Iredell, Davidson, Forsyth, and back up through Guilford .. picked up Tag #5 in Stokes and hit a site in Iredell (that was actually just barely out of bounds) and was on my way to Montgomery to pick up a shot at a covered bridge (hint - that will be a future tag for the NC-TOR Game) .. my plan was to then head up to the in-laws .. well .. plans change .. I picked up a nail in Iredell County (there used to be a one-lane bridge on a dirt road that the NCDOT beat me to and have already widened the road, paved it, and put in a modern bridge .. Google Maps still shows the one dirt and one-lane bridge, Huie Road, Union Grove, Iredell County in fact) .. regardless, I had a great day riding and then limping home with a leaky tire ..

... got to see plenty of sights like this ..

.. so .. to make a short story longer .. heading home I passed two locations I though would be good for a tag .. this is the one I thought was the most interesting .. and it should be an easy find with a little google-fu and the clues on the sign ..

.. heading East it looks like this ..

.. heading West is looks like this ..

.. and a closeup of the plaque/marker ..

Interestingly enough there is some info on the web about this marker and it's location .. I actually had no idea it existed, I just happened to notice it and spun back around to just see what it was .. got home and did a little reading and learned a little something too ..

.. there is a bridge nearby named after this gentleman as well .. it's a modern bridge though, nothing spectacular .. I had no idea this airman was from NC though .. that, I think, is pretty amazing ..

EDIT - I confess .. I am pushing the rules (#2) here a tad .. it is a picture of private property taken in a private driveway, but taken in the right-of-way along a public road .. yeah .. I know .. I'm a rebel ..

RevBill screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 07:07 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #65
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarhead View Post
Alright Rev
Glad you like the roads.... Hope you came in from 66, I came across 770, 704, 8, 89, 268, 66 then 66 to the house.
.. I shot out 704 from the house and hit Snow Hill Church Road and then over to Piney Grove Church Road and then hit 268/Lynchburg Road to Rock House Road and then the house .. great morning ride .. from there I doubled back and ran on out 268 to I-77 to really get a feel for that 16t front sprocket I just put on (and man I am liking it) ..

.. and I also wanted to hit the double round-a-bouts at the intersection of 52 and 268 .. a buddy of mine told me about it and thought it was really weird how they had installed those on the off/on ramps for 52 and he is right .. it is kinda odd .. that almost became the tag spot is I could have found a safe way to get a shot and keep anyone from getting killed trying to duplicate it .. it's nothing really to go out of your way to see, but I had never heard of anything like it anywhere else and for some reason it stuck in my mind ..

.. got the caca scared out of me up on I-77 when a gust of wind hit me and just about took me off my wheels .. running about 80mph (which, for you KLR guys, is just a cake-walk with the 16t front sprocket) and "Wham" .. the whole bike jumped about 4 inches .. though I would need a spatula to break the seal to the Corbin seat when I got down to Huie Road ..

.. anyway .. tube changing scheduled for me tomorrow .. lol .. really gonna wish I had not shot that leak-stop crap in there when I get into that tire ..
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #66
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. here we go .. had a great day out banging around Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin, Iredell, Davidson, Forsyth, and back up through Guilford .. picked up Tag #5 in Stokes and hit a site in Iredell (that was actually just barely out of bounds) and was on my way to Montgomery to pick up a shot at a covered bridge (hint - that will be a future tag for the NC-TOR Game) .. my plan was to then head up to the in-laws .. well .. plans change .. I picked up a nail in Iredell County (there used to be a one-lane bridge on a dirt road that the NCDOT beat me to and have already widened the road, paved it, and put in a modern bridge .. Google Maps still shows the one dirt and one-lane bridge, Huie Road, Union Grove, Iredell County in fact) .. regardless, I had a great day riding and then limping home with a leaky tire ..

... got to see plenty of sights like this ..

.. so .. to make a short story longer .. heading home I passed two locations I though would be good for a tag .. this is the one I thought was the most interesting .. and it should be an easy find with a little google-fu and the clues on the sign ..

.. heading East it looks like this ..

.. heading West is looks like this ..

.. and a closeup of the plaque/marker ..

Interestingly enough there is some info on the web about this marker and it's location .. I actually had no idea it existed, I just happened to notice it and spun back around to just see what it was .. got home a did a little reading and learned a little something too ..

.. there is a bridge nearby named after this gentleman as well .. it's a modern bridge though, nothing spectacular .. I had no idea this airman was from NC though .. that, I think, is pretty amazing ..

Seen this marker several times, and never even bothered to read it, It is on the back road to my house from Winston.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #67
NCNCTARGAME OP
NC-NC-TAR Custodian

Oddometer: 15
Updated Map ..

.. after getting the feedback from Parker and Jarhead, I just updated the map of the playing field .. so we'll see how this rolls and keep the tag moving .. we are off to a great start I think ..
NCNCTARGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #68
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Great new tag...Sounds like you had an eventful day. You like those roundabouts in Pilot Mtn, Sundays after all the churches let out its crazy.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #69
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarhead View Post
Great new tag...Sounds like you had an eventful day. You like those roundabouts in Pilot Mtn, Sundays after all the churches let out its crazy.
.. man I bet .. I had not even thought about that .. lol .. wonder how much praising vs cursing is going on then?? .. lol ..

I can hear it now ..

"Woooo whee", said the Preacher the following Sunday, "Brother Jonas I do believe you should be waving hello to all the other brothers and sisters and the other denominations with all five fingers" ..

"I wasn't waving hello Preacher, I was telling them we are number one", exclaimed Brother Jonas ..

.. yeesh ..

.. thank you, try the veal, tip your wait-staff please ..
Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #70
Gene1956
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Map

Hi, Being new to dual sport riding, Iam wondering if there are any good maps that show dirt rodes in and around Randolph County,NC. Thanks, Gene
Gene1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #71
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1956 View Post
Hi, Being new to dual sport riding, Iam wondering if there are any good maps that show dirt rodes in and around Randolph County,NC. Thanks, Gene
Gene you lucky devil .. Uwharri is practically in your back yard .. maps all over the place for that playground ..

You can also pick up a DeLorme NC State Atlas and start digging through it and exploring .. I have not looked at Randoph County so can't offer you much advice ..

Virtually all of the dirt and gravel roads around me are on private land or are restricted access, I hope your hunt goes better than mine ..
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #72
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1956 View Post
A fellow trashboro resident eh?
I use the city nav maps on my garmin 60, they show most of the FR's in randolph/montgomery co. alternately, google maps shows pretty much everything also. On another note, did some exploring in the national forest yesterday and found several gates open that are usually closed, due to hunting season I guess? Got to see several miles of gravel/two track 15 mins from the house that I didn't even know existed
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #73
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
i know where the new tag is with out looking for it

Don't tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Have you seen my marbles?
you can't be lost if you still have half a tank
save 5$ on smugmug.com coupon #----(DE9oGz4LoiNZA )
lostmarbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #74
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

If all goes to plan....tomorrow I get off work at 11:30....just saying....maybe even heading to Colletsville....
Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #75
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

.. get 'er done .. I've got the boys all day tomorrow .. got a new inner tube today so it looks like a little wrenching tomorrow as well .. good times ..