Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #4471
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

'.
Clearly, I didn't read the rules and regulations of the tour of idaho OR review the route plan (doh...). My apologies, no disrespect meant Martin. Tura I'doh.... bring it on.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #4472
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
In short, as little maintenance as possible . That said, we take time at the beginning and end of each section (2-3000miles) to at least change the oil.

If you check out the posts near the beginning and end of each section that'll cover about 90% of what we've done on the bikes -- tires, chains, sprockets, brake pads. Otherwise if we have a breakdown, or a planned rest day, we take the opportunity to do some PM, and tackle those niggly little things that aren't right but you can live with -- brake lights and heated grips burnt out, etc.

Every night and AM I try to jiggle and inspect at least a few fasteners. The bikes had 3-5k miles on them when we started, and we've put on around 20k.

The DRZ's have been incredibly reliable. We don't push them Dakar-hard, but that said, anytime we ask them to perform, they don't complain.
David,

Have they gotten a valve adjustment anywhere along M1-8? If not, they're over-due. They probably are fine if they start fine but...(more fuel for LDF, he he).

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #4473
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
David,
Have they gotten a valve adjustment anywhere along M1-8? If not, they're over-due. They probably are fine if they start fine but...(more fuel for LDF, he he).
Oh, they're WAY overdue. I've personally done valves at the two extremes of complexity -- the DR650 (10minutes including 8 minutes to drink the beer ), and the Desmo (4 days, more like defusing a bomb). The DRZ seems somewhere in between. Problem is that it's a big enough job that I wouldn't want to do it, then take off on a big trip. I'm contemplating either having it done professionally (I shudder the logistics), or just rolling the dice and letting that be the bikes' achilles heel and what they will eventually die of.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #4474
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Heading south

So, the official TID is laid out south to north, and seems to have decreasing levels of technical difficulty, with sections labeled green, blue, yellow and red. We'd be doing it in reverse, from north to south -- the easy stuff first.

It was a bit of an effort to get it all into the GPS with the alternate routes that have been part of past versions but are still included I think because there are often insurmountable obstacles along the way like forest fires, rock slides, snow, and hoards of dancing bunnies.

To keep people honest who claim that they've done the TID, Martin has established certain waypoints he calls "challenge points". In order to say you've done the whole TID you have to acquire at least 60 such points:

From here:
"The maximum possible number of challenge points from the daily tallies is 62.

Next are style point modifications. The Tour of Idaho involves more than just following a red line on a map. It's also about the spirit in which the event is undertaken. The following point modifiers are meant to reflect this.
  • Group of 3 or less (+1)
  • Solo (+3)
  • Chase vehicle (excluding shuttle from beginning and end of ride) (-4)
  • Self-supported, scrounging OK (+1)
  • No pre-run (+1)
  • Six consecutive days or less to accumulate 57 or more challenge points (+2)
  • More than 15 consecutive days accumulating points (-3).
Finally - here's your Tour of Idaho Score:
  • 65+ points - Studliness is next to godliness (email us).
  • 60+ points - Congrats! You are a Tour of Idaho alumnus (email us).
  • 55+ points - So close, a very commendable effort - Salude!
  • Less than 55 points - nice ride, what did you decide to call it?"
Because we'd be skipping a couple of the seriously dangerous sections -- notably the Pete King trail, the Oxford Basin, and the Massacre Mountain loop, and because we were ending in Idaho Falls, and not riding all the way to the Utah border, even with our modifiers, we could only hope for at most 51 points. So to answer Martin's question of "what did you decide to call it?"... our answer: the "Tura I'Doh".

I figured it'd take us a few sections to get a feel for what Martin and his crew call a red, yellow, blue, and green trail.

"Map color code: white = smooth surface (easiest), green = gravel/improved dirt, blue = primitive surface (requiring moderate attention), yellow = rough jeep or ATV trail (easy technical), red = extremely rough trail (harder technical), purple = variant of the preferred route."

(click on the map below to open a larger version, then click on that image to zoom)

By the way, I assigned Martin's challenge points the same icon that Garmin uses for geocaching -- which is why LDF gets so excited about finding another "treasure box".

She's pretty easily amused.

Anyway, we figured we'd play along with the challenges until just past where it wasn't fun anymore.

Next challenges: Huckleberry bay, and then a side-trip up to the Wigwams.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 12:52 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #4475
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Huckleberry bay

was a bit of a fooler. It was just right along the road that followed Priest lake -- no biggie.

the biggest challenge was realizing that it was as easy as it was. WooHoo! two for two.

The Wigwams were a different kettle of fish altogether. We found the cut-off:

It looked like they were grading the road. But no worries, there was a detour set up: well, that looks official...

so far so good.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #4476
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We climbed higher

and higher. Somewhat technical, but not too bad.

LDF was getting tired and hot, my bike was overheating again, so we stopped.

Further on, the road deteriorated to this:

Which was cool, but after a few really loose hill climbs,

where we played leapfrog to get everyone up safely,

LDF said she'd had enough and she would wait with the monkey,

while Dave & I rode on to the top.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #4477
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Here's what greeted us

It was getting really steep and rutted, and then we got to this turnaround:

And this was all supposed to be "blue"

OK, kidding, right? No way in hell we're getting these bikes up that trail. Not now, not ever.

Wigwams: FAIL! Now to get out of here in one piece.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #4478
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the way down

we checked out the other end of the detour --

newly graded, now THAT is green.

Still, as frustrating as it was not to be capable to claim the challenge, it was fine riding indeed.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #4479
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We picked up LDF

told her it was really easy and we had ridden all the way to the top and there were fantastic views, foot massages, iced frappucinos and popsicles. We then rolled back down to find a campsite. She didn't believe a word.

A nice enough campsite which we found, on the shores of Priest Lake.

The usual evening followed; cocktails, appetizers and bike maintenance, dinner, walk, campfire, debriefing the day's ride, checking maps, previewing tomorrow's ride, more adult beverages, deep and profound sleep.

No photos, you had to be there.

Another great and full Mobius day.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #4480
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:

OK, kidding, right? No way in hell we're getting these bikes up that trail. Not now, not ever.

Wigwams: FAIL! Now to get out of here in one piece.
you can do it. think when you made it to the top of that rock section at birkshires on your monster
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #4481
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
you can do it. think when you made it to the top of that rock section at birkshires on your monster
I know you're just being cheeky Chris, but it raises an important point; in the birkshires I didn't have another 2200miles of the ride to go. And I wasn't in the middle of nowhere -- there was a trailer waiting to carry me and my bike back home only a few miles away. One's risk-taking has to be recalibrated on trips like these and already Dave and I were pushing it harder than LDF and I normally do. It's something we all talked about that evening at the campfire. Our priority is to enjoy as much riding as possible in two weeks, and risking a bad crash or injury or bike meltdown on day 5 means losing 9 days of riding.

PS: did you watch the vid? it wasn't even a goat trail -- I had to walk up sideways to fit. crazy.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #4482
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011. M8-day#6

As much as we tried to lure him further into the Idaho depths, Dave had to head back north. We decided to ride into Priest Lake and grab some breakfast before we split up. We were encouraged to get a move on by the weather system that passed through in the morning.

it was a straight-shot, flat and wide transit liason to town.

Today's route would take us for gas at Priest Lake, then a challenge point at the top of Hoodoo mountain, more gas at Athol, then loads more challenge points traversing through the heart of the Coeur D Alene National Forest, eventually getting gas again at Wallace.

the weather was threatening for most of the day, and we still made almost 200miles with all these verticals:

Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #4483
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I didn't say anything

at the time, but doesn't it look like Dave braided cornrows in his hair?

we had a nice breakfast at

where the owner / cook / waiter chatted with us about our trip, and swapped off-road stories and intel of where we were headed. He was into 4WD. He even took our pitcher: (note the thought-balloon coming out of my head )

and then it was just us two again.

Bye Dave, it was great riding with you, Hope you can join us again on Mobius 9 or beyond.

And for the rest of you, the invitation still stands.

M9 scheduled for May11-28 beginning and ending in Idaho Falls, looping south through UT, NV, OR, and ID.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #4484
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After a short paved section

we jumped right back onto dirt,

and started to climb.

Maybe a break in the clouds,

or maybe we were just climbing above them.

and then the final push to the top

Old 01-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #4485
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
at the time, but doesn't it look like Dave braided cornrows in his hair?

Bye Dave, it was great riding with you, Hope you can join us again on Mobius 9 or beyond.
I look like an angry Klingon, not exactly the look I normally go for .

Too bad I didn't have more time. I had a great 6 days and I'm loving re-living it through your wonderful story telling. And now to see what I missed
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote