ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
JWG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Call Out to Hickory NC

I have my sights set on moving there in the next week or so.. I have never really been there , have No family there
but it seems it would be a good place to settle down and set some roots. A little expencive perhaps , but thats what the other side of town is for.
any inmates have any opinions on this area of NC,, hows the work prospects ? would like to find something in constuction or Maintenance,, ( not yard ) In general thoughts on the area? seems like it would be a nice place to be located for weekend bike trips and adventures.
however , I suppose my main concerns would be cost of living and employment ,,
anyone ???

thanks all
JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
I lived in Hickory for 10 years. I loved it there. I worked for Corning at the time but then they transfer most of the fiber optics to Reynosa Mexico and Poland. I was one of the few who kept my job but I ended up quoting and relocating to the Winston-Salem area. The furniture industry was big there at on time but since has shrunk. Fiber optics are all but gone. Not sure of job market there but there are still some industry there. My move out there is hind sight and wish I still lived there, great place to live! But it's just my opinion.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
I have my sights set on moving there in the next week or so.. I have never really been there , have No family there
but it seems it would be a good place to settle down and set some roots. A little expencive perhaps , but thats what the other side of town is for.
any inmates have any opinions on this area of NC,, hows the work prospects ? would like to find something in constuction or Maintenance,, ( not yard ) In general thoughts on the area? seems like it would be a nice place to be located for weekend bike trips and adventures.
however , I suppose my main concerns would be cost of living and employment ,,
anyone ???

thanks all

Good luck to you! That is a gutsy move moving to a new area without a job or a support mechanism. I don't live in Hickory but in the Mountains West of Asheville so I can't speak directly to Hickory but it has been my experience that there is work around if you're not too picky and you're a good worker. Out of curiosity, where are you coming from and what made you pick Hickory?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
JWG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
Good luck to you! That is a gutsy move moving to a new area without a job or a support mechanism. I don't live in Hickory but in the Mountains West of Asheville so I can't speak directly to Hickory but it has been my experience that there is work around if you're not too picky and you're a good worker. Out of curiosity, where are you coming from and what made you pick Hickory?
I am moving from new england, ( rhode island ) I use to live in the Carolinas at one point near the coast ocean Isle and then for some time around winston salem area.
my purpose in moving back are several but a key factor my daughter is in King Nc outside of winston, I want to be closer to her but not in the Ex's back yard ,, Hickory seems nice and a good distance close for a visit but not to close for a "oh I was in the neighborhood ,, can I have ten bucks for gas" from the Ex that is .
also the cost of living Is much more in line down south then it is up here ,, I would like to see myself Buying something in the next couple of years and could never afford to do that in this area

besides Hickory I may look outside of greensboro In reidsville..but prefer the idea of hickory .
JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
springcreekrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I have lived in the Hickory area all my live 50+ of them The job outlook is not the best that it has been in the last couple decades. With that said you may want to look into the Statesville, Moresville are that is where I have seen the most job's avilable. Next best in the riding area wouls be the Winston Salem area but what do I know??
springcreekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
In reidsville..but prefer the idea of hickory .
Not too much opportunity here in Reidsville right now.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,141
I work in Statesville and help with hiring for a manufacturing facility. Not many jobs anywhere to be honest. I typically have 4 yr degree people looking for a entry position floor starter job.... Really. We do not have much turnover so have only hired 3-4 people in the last year or so. Nobody leaves a job around here if it is worth having.

With that being said- I love the Hickory area myself. If I could move to another area (kids are here in Yadkin county) then it would be the Hickory area. It is definitely a great riding area.

Hickory has been hit hard with layoffs (just like any other area) but they do have some new manufacturing facilities looking to build, or so I heard.....

Good luck to ya. Either way we may can ride together sometime.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I moved from N.H. 5 years ago and love it in NC, I live north of Statesville near Love Valley. The Hickory area is very nice but as stated jobs are pretty few and far between. I haul heavy equipment for a company out of Winston-Salem and the wife works an office job for Thorlo sock Co. in Statesville.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
spric116
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I lived in Hickory for about 6 months 10 years ago, working for Corning, but was laid off along with most everyone else. It is a great area, I used to ride north and west every weekend, really great day rides, or weekend camping trips too. I would like to live there again, but as many have said, it's not a really strong job market.
spric116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
CplRooster
I'm a what?

Oddometer: 1,878
Raleigh/Durham may be to far out for you, but the construction industry is recovering well. If you have a skilled trade, look on www.trianglehelpwanted.com.

I believe that there are other ___________Helpwanted.com's out there, just don't know what they are called.

Rooster

Semper Fi
CplRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
Laconic
Añejo

Check out HondaJet in Burlington, too.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,141
Could also try Gerbings in Stoneville NC.....
Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Laconic
Añejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
Could also try Gerbings in Stoneville NC.....

Yes, our janitor here does their floors, he says they are planning to expand at some point. Probably doesn't pay a whole lot...
Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,302
Ma Bev says, "Get your wallet out!"
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote