Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #4486
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

It was getting really steep and rutted, and then we got to this turnaround:

And this was all supposed to be "blue"

OK, kidding, right? No way in hell we're getting these bikes up that trail. Not now, not ever.

Wigwams: FAIL! Now to get out of here in one piece.
Come on Doc. it didn't look that bad, and you had the bikes to do it. Reno Deano

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #4487
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDeano View Post
Come on Doc. it didn't look that bad, and you had the bikes to do it. Reno Deano
20 years ago on my CR250 I'd have tried it, but not on a fully laden DR650...or even an unladen DR650; not in my skill set but I believe Doc could've done it (and he gave it more than a few seconds thought). I'm fully impressed by anyone that rides up that trail on any moto. By the time we got to that point the potential overheating issue and the time elapsed since leaving LDF was weighing on our minds...we made the right call.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #4488
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Ummmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoDeano View Post
Negative Dean, I appreciate your confidence in us, and in other circumstances it'd be tempting, but I wouldn't have taken anything heavier than a trials bike up there. And even then I'd probably have to carry it most of the way. Literally, it was a hiking trail. The road ended, and I'm not even sure it was legal to ride beyond. Plus, it was a set-up for a really bad situation -- low on water, we'd left LDF about 2 miles back, it was late in the day, my bike was already overheating with a dodgy patched radiator... Dave, back me up here. We'd already pushed far enough to get there. That section was the most technical of the entire 2 weeks.

PS: been enjoying your pics -- looks like the season is closing in soon, there was some snow in the last set!

[edit]: you beat me to it Dave!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #4489
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Sitting at home sick today , doing the F5 thing, enjoying the RR. But I did completely disassemble, re-jet, and reassemble my carb today. Next up, emulators in the forks.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #4490
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the top of the HooDoos

We left our Mobius Sticker --

and took some pichers,

It felt good to earn a tough challenge point. This whole section was labeled blue, and it was an order of magnitude easier than what we'd encountered at the WigWams.

Mini-LDF:

Powered by anti-hassle tassels:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #4491
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ready to descend

Oh yeah... the infra red, don't forget.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #4492
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
Sitting at home sick today , doing the F5 thing, enjoying the RR. But I did completely disassemble, re-jet, and reassemble my carb today. Next up, emulators in the forks.
Sweet -- I'm post-call, up all night, trying to follow the Dakar threads and write... my F5 finger is sore.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #4493
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We rolled back down

and shortly we were on a bit of pavement,

where we could gas up at Athol, ID

Another stretch of white and green,

and then on to more treasure boxes .

Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #4494
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next up

Bunco road, Moon Saddle, and Big Meadow airstrip. Get this... the following was ALSO rated blue:

Maybe conditions change dramatically based on erosion and whether it's been recently graded?

[by the way, most of our photos taken while moving are geotagged, so if you're thinking of doing the TID you can scout what you're getting into.]

We cruised by here: (Not a treasure box)

and down to the Big Meadow airstrip.

I'm still not quite sure what makes the cut as a challenge point...

(check out the big bird coming in for a landing)

We were still trying to wrap our heads around this treasure box hunting. Some seem to be just technically tough to get to, some are easy, some are historic and/or beautiful, others are banal... no matter, we were happy to score another treasure box so easily.

Thumbs up, Francine!

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 03:46 PM
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #4495
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back in the woods

the next challenges were Steamboat(?) Moon Saddle, Two Mile, and Moon Pass.

We came to a sweeping vista, and I busted out the light/shadow/color recording box to see what it could capture.

Let's see how they turned out -- the pano (click on image to link to full-sized version)

and the HDR:

Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #4496
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Chasing down La Donna

we descended to the next transit section.

and even got a little taste of pavement.

then it was back into the woods

for Moon Saddle, and Two Mile (creek?) challenge points, and on to Wallace for the night. We were chilled, the sky was grey, and the timing seemed to be right.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #4497
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was another

Blue section, that frankly, was pretty easy.

nice views though,

and pretty flowers, even this late in the season.

At the gps treasure box location for Moon Saddle there was a sign post, but no sign. We'd fix that:

Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #4498
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a lovely

ride down to Wallace,

still blue, not technical at all... maybe the WigWams was an anomaly, mis-labeled?

We sent a spot signal from our last challenge point for the day,

and felt pretty good when we hit the pavement leading into Wallace.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #4499
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wallace, ID

seemed a sleepy little town,

overshadowed by the freeway.

we found a room,

(actually, at the Stardust) caught the last seating at

which was pretty awesome.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #4500
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Barbeque

Yummmmm... I think we ordered one of everything.

beer, bear, bar:

We walked to get some groceries, (note to self: come back and check this place out:)

This sign:

inspired next saturday's FMC theme. I'm cooking Greek + Chinese.

Wallace seemed to be a quirky town. I wouldn't mind going back sometime.

(Didn't get to try a shake)

We slept like logs.

Stats for the day:

Pedro Chang's indeed!