Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #4501
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Pedro Chang's indeed!
Of course there's nothing new about Chino Latino places here in the city, but when Cyberdos told me they have their own versions out west, I found it funny. http://www.chinobandido.com/
Sorry for the jack.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #4502
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,199
Most excellent RR. Keep it up. Looking forward to trying the Tour of ID myself in the next year or two.
You didn't mention that Wallace is The Center of the Universe .
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #4503
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Oh Doc, you're using all the right words:

View, Beautiful, kinda Spectacular, LEICA, Panorama, HDR, Good Riding !
My Camera and my Bike are grumbling! I gotta look up your photo gear thread again...am ready to use the Oloneo PhotoEngine software with my Lumix for HDR adventures...Hate to throw too much effort after foolishness!

Awesome RR! I'm liking LDF's Snappy "Thumbs-Up!" too!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #4504
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
Sitting at home sick today , doing the F5 thing, enjoying the RR. But I did completely disassemble, re-jet, and reassemble my carb today. Next up, emulators in the forks.
I"m a little slow on 'puters. What's this F5 thing I keep seeing? Please?

Sorry for the detour Doc. Your Mobius Trip is my all time favorite report. I've been following since the beginning. I just don't post much.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #4505
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
I"m a little slow on 'puters. What's this F5 thing I keep seeing? Please?

F5 is a refresh/reload key on your keyboard. The reference is to the Dakar Racing thread that is constantly updated with info, hence hitting the F5 key.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #4506
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
F5 is a refresh/reload key on your keyboard. The reference is to the Dakar Racing thread that is constantly updated with info, hence hitting the F5 key.
Between work, sucking on the F5irehose, and routine personal hygiene, it's a challenge to write this up. But I'm on deadline for a textbook chapter that I haven't started yet, and I need this RR off my plate, or it's not getting done for a couple months.

GO NED!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #4507
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Friday, Sept. 16, 2011. M8-day#7

We got an early start -- typical when we don't have to break camp, but honestly, all things equal, we both prefer camping.

It was going to be a big stretch to our next fuel stop, and what with all the forest fires and road closures, I was concerned with reroutes, so we filled the tanks and the sweetcheeks.

To fill the sweetcheeks, I use a short piece of fuel line that I keep in an outer pocket of the AndyStrapz. I have an unused petcock on the right side of my tank, and it's easier and neater to fill the 2L bottles from the tank petcock than from the gas hose. I mention this only because it sets up the next D'oh moment in the Tura ID'oh.

South out of Wallace, we'd have a short green connector, and then it would be mostly blue, with a smattering of red and green down to Powell Ranger station where we'd gas up before connecting to the Lolo Motorway.

That is, if we made it that far.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #4508
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was nice to start

with a liason,

but soon we started climbing.

the weather was cloudy, but perfect riding weather... cooler as we gained elevation.

a patch of sunlight promised that maybe the clouds would burn off as the day progressed.

After a full hour of riding, we took a break to defleece and redistribute coffee. I looked down at my right footpeg and:

I'd set my short piece of fuel line down on my footpeg while I capped the sweetcheeks bottle, and never put it away. It traveled for an hour under my foot without getting lost.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #4509
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next section

was labeled blue,

I'm not sure what the shuttle buses are for -- maybe rafting?

If I recall, we struggles with navigation -- the TID waypoints are far and few between, and seem to follow non-existent hiking trails, at least according to topo maps, but on the ground, there was nothing but the main road.

This was cool:

The sun started to poke out,

Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #4510
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Moon Pass

challenge point / treasure box under our belts, we entered the first "red" section of the day: Loop Creek Rd.

Turns out the red section was WAY easier than the blue at the WigWams.

Great views, great riding though. I'm not complaining.

Yeah, the riding was a bit technical,

but RED?

That's some good riding!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #4511
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were grinning

ear to ear,

the route was hitting all the right notes:

remote,

technical,

and great scenery.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #4512
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were off the red

and into the next blue section, and we had a little quibble with the labeling;

we'd dropped off the ridge, and into a valley,

it was lunchtime, so we stopped to feed the monkey,

and grabbed a snack ourselves. A little ways down the road, we ran into this:

Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #4513
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We pull up close to read the sign

Road closed to Heller Creek campground... that's only 11 miles away!

bummer. Can't we just ride through? We'd just past a ranger station, so we go back to gather intel.

So here was the story: First, it wasn't a real ranger station, it was a "historic" ranger station, like a museum. But the caretaker, Sam, was really nice, and she invited us in and seemed to know what was going on.

She said that there had been a lightning strike / forest fire that they'd let burn, and the crews had been clearing branches and trees from off of, and above the road. The fire was out, but they didn't want traffic while they were working.

She strongly discouraged us from just trying to run the barricade -- depending on who was out there we could incur severe fines, not to mention the safety issues.

The road had been closed since Sept 9th (it was the 16th today), and they were just about done. When they came down today, she'd heard that they'd open the road. That would be about 5:30 or 6pm.

It was 1pm. . 5 hours to kill??? ARRGH, that's a lot of daylight hours to not be moving. It was gonna be a short mileage day -- we'd only done 82miles up to this point. Maybe there was a go-around. We busted out the topo maps. Yes, there was, but it was wwway out of our fuel range, and no guarantee that those roads would be open, and it would put us totally out of the way in the direction we wanted to go.

So we'd wait.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #4514
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We passed the time

napping, reading, and snacking. Eventually we got chilled, and took a walk to take some pitchers.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 04:24 PM
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #4515
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,028
Glad you got to know Idaho! And I'm sorry our visit in Idaho Falls was so short. Maybe we'll meet again this year at Questor's pad.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote