Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #136
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Love the candy blue paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Warren View Post
You guys sure know how to have fun.

I'm a little jealous. I need to find a wrenching buddy.

By the way, put my YSS shocks on the SL and am currently working through the wiring. Seems to be quite a mess.
Already rebuilt the carbs, and purchased an MR front wheel, forks and a K2 triple tree. Finished the handle bar bits, but I as mentioned above, none of the electrics are working correctly.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #137
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Scrambler Switches

Ok, I found out why I was unable to paste pictures the last few days, it was because I was using Google Chrome and GC does not allow the right click copy function.

So here are the ebay switches, left hand is in excellent shape, right hand looming a little funky and slightly broken at cable adjustment thread, but will use epoxy and attempt to salvage that function;

Cleaned up the right hand loom, removing old hardened looming and retaping, then attached a fish wire to thread the harness down thru the handlebar;

Then the same fish wire process on the left side bar;

Both switches ready to begin wiring process;

Also charged battery last night, tonite I'll start hooking up all the wires and testing to see what does or doesn't work.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #138
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Wiring

Made good progress on the Scrambler wiring last night. As I began to untangle the old harness, the first thing I noticed was that the one and only piece needed to repair the broken RH brake lever perch was still there, dangling by the brake switch wires. Hmmm....all I would need to do is disassemble the good starter switch wire and spring assembly from the new switch and install into the old unbroken housing still hanging on the bike. No big problem, other than as I've gotten older my fingers have gotten fatter and less nimble and my eyesight isn't quite as sharp as it used to be. So moved the bike to put it directly under one of the shop lights and began the process. It took a few attempts, but finally got it all together and it appeared to be working. So now onto the wiring.

For some reason, any car, truck or motorcycle I work on looks like Edward Scissor Hands got there before me, note that Edward has carefully trimmed away all bullet connectors and twisted some wires together;

Luckily, the new looms that came with the ebay switches had all of the missing connectors, so I removed all the offending wires, untangled the remaining wires and plugged in the new switch looms;

At this point I installed the freshly charged battery, held my breath and turned the ignition switch on. No smoke, a very good sign! The headlight works perfect, both high and low beam, but the turn signals are funky, probably dirty connections or bad grounds. Also kicked it over and checked for spark, none, so have some trouble shooting to do, but at least the electrical is getting closer.

Probably done with all bike projects till after the holidays, everyone have a Merry Christmas and safe and happy New Year!

LC
Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #139
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Cleaning the Scrambler fuel tank

As the Scrambler inches ever closer to running, next up is the fuel tank. At first glance it looks deceptively dirty and rusty, but on closer examination it has been coated with some kind of tank liner that has become stained and dirty, adding to the overall crusty look.

Before;

I decided to try the Coca-Cola method of cleaning and had read that the phosphoric acid in the cola is what does the work, so had the wife buy some cheapo cola and just made sure it had phosphoric acid as an ingredient.

Crisp & Refreshing;

Plugged the holes;

Yumm!

8 liters and still could have put in another cup or two;

After;

After a two hour soak, I thoroughly rinsed and drained the tank and then rinsed again with a coating of WD-40. If you carefully compare the first and last photos you can see where the rust at the bottom of the tank has all but disappeared. What remains now is the stained lining. At this point I'm planning to put on a good fuel filter and give it a try.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #140
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
dang..

Why the hell don't you have that thing running yet??

We've got bills to pay!!

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #141
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

"Why the hell don't you have that thing running yet?? We've got bills to pay!!"

yes boss!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #142
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Been looking for one of these. I have too many projects as is, but when I find one cheap it's mine.. The first 4st dirt bike I ever rode was this bike. My stepfather had one and I started riding it when I was 12. He made the mistake of telling me I could ride it when I could kickstart it knowing that it was hard to start when cold and I was skinny. He didn't know I'd been watching him to figure out the 4 stroke starting drill for that bike for a year, just biding my time.... I waited until a warm day, pulled it out into the sun, took an old kerosene heater and a fan from the house to blow the heat onto it, pulled back one carb boot and sprayed in some Ether, and 30 min later after adding duct tape to the kick lever which had lost the rubber boot, using Ether in both carbs, stopping for a snack, setting the points, adding fresh gas, finding more Ether, swapping my work boots for some of his which had harder soles, my foot was killing me, I got it started.

I got it warmed up, waited until I saw him turn into the driveway, and quickly re started it. When he walked around the house I was just pulling on my helmet. Oh, he was pissed! I reminded him of his "start it if you can, you scrawny runt deal", (as I thought of it). He didn't know whether to laugh, get mad, or what but he said take off. I rode that bike for 5 years until I blew it up pulling other kids up a hill in the snow after we slid down on an old car hood. I thought step dad Bob would be pissed I blew it up. He just said he couldn't beleive it lasted that long with me riding it.

After I blew it up, he gave it to me. I sold it for gas money in high school. Regretted it ever since. Damn girl I was messing with so I needed the gas money to woo her sorry butt never did give me a ride. She didn't even care when I told her I sold a motorcycle for her! Tried to buy that bike back, the guy I sold it to never fixed it, never rode it, wouldn't sell it back to me. Eventually he just robbed parts off of it.

Yep, I gotta have another one. Too many memories. No bike I have ever heard sounded just l ike that old twin. No mufflers, straight pipes right under the frame. It blew flames out of the exhaust on decel. I thought it was the coolest machine ever made.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #143
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
Been looking for one of these.
Yep, I gotta have another one. Too many memories. No bike I have ever heard sounded just l ike that old twin. No mufflers, straight pipes right under the frame. It blew flames out of the exhaust on decel. I thought it was the coolest machine ever made.
This one is for sale....in case you're wondering
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #144
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Good Read!

Jgas, loved your story, very funny and a good read!

This bike is for sale, we are fixing it up to help pay towards the OSR Team's 2012 Mexican 1000 effort. The bike should be running and ready to sell in the next week to ten days, just waiting to get the carbs back from a bike that is at another shop. Are you interested?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #145
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Wicked How much??

So HOW much, and could I ride it all the way back to Monterey, CA after handing you some moolah? That would be hard on my banged-up geezer body, but of such courageous acts are legends made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Jgas, loved your story, very funny and a good read!

This bike is for sale, we are fixing it up to help pay towards the OSR Team's 2012 Mexican 1000 effort. The bike should be running and ready to sell in the next week to ten days, just waiting to get the carbs back from a bike that is at another shop. Are you interested?
Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #146
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Irish,

For an ADV'er we were thinking about 700 non ADV more like 800. Monterey seems pretty ambitious for a bike that hasn't been tagged since '83, but not saying it couldn't do it. I guess it also depends on your wrenching ability, as long as you can do minor repairs as needed and weren't in a big hurry it might be feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
So HOW much, and could I ride it all the way back to Monterey, CA after handing you some moolah? That would be hard on my banged-up geezer body, but of such courageous acts are legends made.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #147
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 327
Mine's running

Jacking your thread a little....
Started my K1 for the first time today. Still lots to do, but she runs.

Finished up the first phase of the restoring of Little Blue. Tried the first start up today and she cranked on the third kick. I still need to adjust the valves, timing, points, cam chain, but she ran!!

So far I've:

replaced the fork seals
cleaned and rebuilt the carbs
fabbed a mount for the rectifier
cleaned up the wiring, replaced some connections
fixed the tail light, replaced the lens, soldered a ground wire
rebuilt switch housings, painted same and mounted on K-2 bars
replaced foot pegs, lever perches and levers, hand grips
replaced air filter housings, boots and filters
replaced the main switch
replaced various fasteners

Need to:
fab exhaust pipes w/slip on can
lots of polishing
replace tires and rim locks
clean out the Kreme in the gas tank
replace rusty spokes
get her inspected and plated. She qualifies for an Antique plate and that's what I'm going to get.

Short vids of the start up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZRpUy8SDPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9s6Zzzri4
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #148
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Looks great!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #149
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

She's a beauty!

Dale,

That is one gorgeous machine you have there, well done and thanks for sharing!

Please post here any time, you and any other folks that want to chime in and share are more than welcome.

Rick

Quote:
Jacking your thread a little....
Started my K1 for the first time today. Still lots to do, but she runs.

Finished up the first phase of the restoring of Little Blue. Tried the first start up today and she cranked on the third kick. I still need to adjust the valves, timing, points, cam chain, but she ran!!

So far I've:

replaced the fork seals
cleaned and rebuilt the carbs
fabbed a mount for the rectifier
cleaned up the wiring, replaced some connections
fixed the tail light, replaced the lens, soldered a ground wire
rebuilt switch housings, painted same and mounted on K-2 bars
replaced foot pegs, lever perches and levers, hand grips
replaced air filter housings, boots and filters
replaced the main switch
replaced various fasteners

Need to:
fab exhaust pipes w/slip on can
lots of polishing
replace tires and rim locks
clean out the Kreme in the gas tank
replace rusty spokes
get her inspected and plated. She qualifies for an Antique plate and that's what I'm going to get.

Short vids of the start up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZRpUy8SDPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9s6Zzzri4
Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #150
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Exhaust update and other stuff.....

Friday morning I went to pick up my 350 twin race bike from the exhaust shop, where she's been for the last month. When I called to let the guy know I would be in to get it, he said he had only made the tt pipes but was not comfortable or prepared to cut my stock pipes fearing he would get it wrong. So I said ok, that's fine, I understand. When I get to his shop, he met me at the door and said I've got some bad news.......seems as he was getting ready for me to arrive he had piled my parts up and then opened the shop door and drove the tow truck over the parts. Really. @#$$%%^&*(*&!!!!! One of the stock pipes had gotten flattened and one of the new TT pipes was pretty dinged up, but that was about the extent of the damage. He made another TT pipe while I loaded up and kept telling me how sorry he was. Believe it or not, I did not get mad, he was so sorry it was hard to be mad. He didn't charge me for anything and offered to pay for the flattened pipe, I just said it's ok, we've got spares. Anyway, enough about that, on to other things.

Tomorrow morning we are headed to the coast to get some riding time in on one of Luke's single track areas. I'm sure the young bucks are going to give the old guy a hard time but I'll do my best to keep up! When we get done riding, we will head over to Lonnie's to do some work on Paul's Baja racer, and I've got quite a few parts and pieces for the project already loaded up and ready to go. I will write a more detailed report of our riding adventure and shop progress on Monday morning.