Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
I have a friend who got into the greaser thing.
When he had a GS, he rode ATGATT. When he went all greaser, he bought an e-glide and started dressing like Danny Zucco.

Now, he's getting into scooters and dresses appropriately for the fashion meme of the Vespa scooterati with chucks and paperboy hats and whatnot.

Some people like to play dressup with the socially appropriate clothing for their bike.

Just because the guy is an engineer at BMW doesn't mean he's making logical choices all the time. He does look like he's having fun on that pile.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,947
oh no... Me too?

Does ATG have a standardized definition?

I don't yet own pants with knee and hip armor, but my riding jacket has the CE-approved plates at the shoulders and elbows and back (no kidney belt). I don't wear a neck support nor a spine plate. I wear a FF helmet on the roads and a MX helmet with goggles on trails. I have boots for street and for trails, and I wear them whenever I ride.

I wear what I have, but am I a poser for not having accumulated all my gear yet?

Also, are you a poser if you only wear select pieces of what's available instead of purchasing and wearing every safety item available? I don't have a day-glo vest yet either.

I'm sure that I'm a poser for some reason or other...do I have to count this as a reason for my poserliness too? (lilbitosarcasm)
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Does ATG have a standardized definition?

I don't yet own pants with knee and hip armor, but my riding jacket has the CE-approved plates at the shoulders and elbows and back (no kidney belt). I don't wear a neck support nor a spine plate. I wear a FF helmet on the roads and a MX helmet with goggles on trails. I have boots for street and for trails, and I wear them whenever I ride.

I wear what I have, but am I a poser for not having accumulated all my gear yet?

Also, are you a poser if you only wear select pieces of what's available instead of purchasing and wearing every safety item available? I don't have a day-glo vest yet either.

I'm sure that I'm a poser for some reason or other...do I have to count this as a reason for my poserliness too? (lilbitosarcasm)

YOU are also missing my point. I am calling him a poser for matching gear to bike, not for what he wears. I couldn't care less if he is wearing gear or not, but to wear full gear on a sport bike, and no gear on a cruiser, is simply wearing gear as a fashion statement, posing.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
YOU are also missing my point. I am calling him a poser for matching gear to bike, not for what he wears. I couldn't care less if he is wearing gear or not, but to wear full gear on a sport bike, and no gear on a cruiser, is simply wearing gear as a fashion statement, posing.

Jim
Simmer down...I was addressing the OP.
Also being sarcastic.
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,016
I think it's an incorrect question, like "have you stopped beating your wife"? One does not rule out, or imply, the other.

ATGATT- you are, or you aren't. Based on the chopper photo, he isn't.

Pirate- I look at this as more a state of mind (Look at me, I ride a Harley) with a dress code (no or non-DOT helmet, vest, HD logos). None of that on this guy.

And nothing about the bikes he rides says "pirate" either. It's an actual chopper, not one of those over-priced gaudy expensive pieces of butt jewerly turned out by "custom" shops in teh US.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Rapid_Roy
finally understands

Oddometer: 25,041
Here here! If somebody can't bite down on the wrong point, and run with it, what fun is that?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You missed my point, if he dresses for the crash on a sport bike, but not on a cruiser, then he is delusional, or a poser. He is obviously dressing for fashion based on his bike, matching shoes to belt so to speak.

Jim

That's silly. One is crusing the other pushing hard on a race track.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
Grackle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
What is it that's so inherently bad about people wearing the style of gear that goes with their bike? I guess I don't really get it.

Edited to add... I get the jokes about the mid-life crisis pirate-uniform guys, but here's someone who seems to like everything, and he does it all with enthusiasm. How can that possibly be bad?
Grackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Simmer down...I was addressing the OP.
Also being sarcastic.
Sarcasm is cool, quote the OP next time!

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
For a bunch of guys we sure spend a hell of a lot of time worrying about what other guys wear.

Just sayin'

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_708 View Post
That's silly. One is crusing the other pushing hard on a race track.
Please tell me you are being sarcastic?

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
no

regardless of what bike you ride, all the gear all the time means just that

AGPOT would be a better acronym All Gear Part of Time
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #28
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 800

This one looks like it'll be fun to revisit later tonight when it's had more time to generate more shit-slinging.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #29
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
For a bunch of guys we sure spend a hell of a lot of time worrying about what other guys wear.

Just sayin'

whatever happened to men?

guys used to drink real tequila and talk about sports.

now guys drink poser tequila and talk about what? hair tinting?

LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #30
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
So what is the collective wisdom. Read

Can a rider be ATGATT one day riding a sport/sport touring bike and the next day dress like a pirate while on a loud pipe cruiser?

If yes, what does that say about the rider and what does it say about those of us who think it's not possible or the rider is somehow a poser.

I saw this posted over on the GS Oilhead forum and it prompted the question over here. Seems like a lot of the guys on Oilhead read the story but have not commented.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753663

A quote from the linked article about Ola Stenegard...one of the Design Chiefs for BMW responsible for the HP2 Sport and S1000RR

What is your favorite journey? I’ve got two, a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde kinda thing. Number one is going to the legendary Norrtälje Custom Bike Show with my club, Plebs Choppers. We gather on a Saturday morning, have breakfast, and get the bikes cleaned and polished before hitting the road. It’s usually about 15 to 20 bikes. After a couple of miles of hooligan riding through Stockholm suburbs, we finally head north on a beautiful backroad going from Stockholm to Norrtälje. It’s just such a relaxed ride, hanging out with your buddies on the road. All on home-built bikes—choppers, bobbers, café racers, all open pipes. The sun reflecting off polished aluminum. It’s a pure experience, in Stereophonic Exhaust Sound and Kandyapple Metalflake Kolor.

Number two is doing 3.2 kilometers, lap after lap, at the Gotland Ring racetrack—my home track (below). Chasing that perfect line, preferably on an S1000RR. Perfect bike, perfect track … hitting the straight hard. Braking too late. Somehow you make it. Maxed out lean angle, but you’re still not fast enough. Traction control working hard. Such a trip, constantly over 10,000 rpm, lap after lap. The sound, the smell, the wind. A helluva journey!

Read the whole story here: http://www.bikeexif.com/ola-stenegard#more-13266

who gives a fuck?

here's a guy doing what he loves. IMO he is NOT a poser because he LIVES it all around. the ATGATT crew is only a certain percentage of those of us who ride. no one outside the ATGATT crew will EVER satisfy the ATGATT need to not only wear ATGATT but to tell everyone ELSE that THEY should also wear ATGATT.

so hurray for the guy who owns AND rides his different bikes his own way. and makes a living working with motorcycles as well. and boo to the nay-sayers whose OPINION is he's somehow wrong in doing so.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote